Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I sat on the 2010 model today, and the first thing I noticed was that the supposedly "improved" Ohlins was not so improved, did not really feel andy stiffer than my stock 06 damper felt. I would bet the still have the drilled internal needles. In the video I am moving the bars with one hand, damper on full stiff.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
damn,......thats messed up.......my Scotts on full hard is like turning a pickup truck steering whell is park with the engine off!.........wow!!.....always heard you guys saying the damper(oem) was junk...........but now i Really know how ya guys feel!

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^That has the same amount of play my bike's damper had when I got it...Still junk in my mind from the looks of it!!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
OK so the OEM damper is still junk, the good new is you know now, so your not junk.

New and improved doesn't mean diddly. That's how they get away with saying it.

Put the real deal on, get a Scotts. I could go on but, .... I'd hate myself for being preachy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, I sat on the 2010 model today, and the first thing I noticed was that the supposedly "improved" Ohlins was not so improved, did not really feel andy stiffer than my stock 06 damper felt. I would bet the still have the drilled internal needles. In the video I am moving the bars with one hand, damper on full stiff.
YouTube- 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R Ohlins Damper Revealed
hmm, and this is just what you want a good damper to do, be transparent at slow speeds, so how well did it work creasting a hill leaned over as the wheel comes down off center a little at 110 mph? Oh and for the record my STOCK damper works just fine. I think a ton of people misunderstand how and what a damper is supposed to do and just how they work, its a damper not a stopper:) I'd say 99 % of the bikes I have ridden or checked out for people have had the damper cranked up way way to stiff.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm, and this is just what you want a good damper to do, be transparent at slow speeds, so how well did it work creasting a hill leaned over as the wheel comes down off center a little at 110 mph? Oh and for the record my STOCK damper works just fine. I think a ton of people misunderstand how and what a damper is supposed to do and just how they work, its a damper not a stopper:) I'd say 99 % of the bikes I have ridden or checked out for people have had the damper cranked up way way to stiff.
Not saying its inefecteve nesecarily, just not the same as the Aftermarket Ohlins which Kawasaki cleverly led us to believe in the press release thats all. I too actually perfer the damper on the lighter side, on full stiff it effects slow speed handling and heavys the steering, but I like having the maximum amount of adjustment on my bikes, when the damper is on full stiff, I would like to actually represent what its supposed to.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I am, as I own the 2010 Ohlins aftermarket version and it works much better than the stock POS. I own both so I have used them back to back.
I was hoping you would chime in on this, I would be interested to see a similar test, as close to what I did in the video, with your aftermarket Ohlins, that we originally had suspected was the same damper as what coming on the 10 model. You can see from the video, the damper was on full stiff and I only used one had and the steering moved lock to lock quite easily, I really could not tell any difference between that and the stock 06-09 damper.

Put your on full stiff and see if you can easily move it with one hand lock to lock.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that sucks, its even more annoying that they advertised it as "better" than before.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know why they even put those on. I think it's bad because it gives rookies who don't know better a false sense of confidence and they can really hurt themselves trying to do things they are not ready for because they think they damper is there to save their butts.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On full stiff the bars are locked on the one in the picture that has the gold or brown Ohlins logo laser etched on (not a decal). Thats how all real dampers work. I know you know that and know you just want some further confirmation.

This 2010 ZX10 OEM Kawi version is just more of the same marketing hype.

Ohlins made the aftermarket one I got specifically as a bolt on replacement for the stock sucky version. Outside they look 100% identical.
Thats what I was hoping to confirm, I would hope that the Aftermarket damper Ohlins has marketed is not soft like the one in my video. If it was, I am sure you would have already let that cat out of the bag, suprisingly you are the ONLY one that has came foreward saying they bought the new (lazer etched) aftermarket replacement damper. I would have thought it would be a hot seller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts