Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ninja Police!
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as it turns out, i might be getting me a new dirtbike here soon i hope. I gave my brother my 2006 Honda CRF 250R, in perfect condition. I might be moving to back to Colorado and there is quite a few tracks there. So i am wondering if anyone has either of these bikes and which one would be the best to get for just doing amateur stuff? I am smaller guy, i am about 170 and am 5'8, so i know the 250 would be much lighter in the air to throw around but which one would be the most fun? They are both four strokes so thats not an issue. Or would just getting a 2008-09 model be better? I have ridden dirtbikes for quite some time now but i have never owned a kawi, just yammie's and honda's, only kawi i have is my 10R in the garage lol.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
KX450F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the torque will more than make up for the extra weight. like you said 4 strokes have come a long way and I personally think that the 450 is more versatile for both the track and everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Its about what you do the most I ride Dirt allot, I got a 125 and I am 6 foot 180, pounds. But I like to do free style, not well but I try, the lighter bike is awesome for that.

·
Ninja Police!
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i was thinking bout going with the lighter of the bikes, but i mainly just do jumps and go real fast lol. Im not big on crazy fancy tricks, i just like getting air, and from the video i seen on kawasaki.com about the 450F its def an air getter.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It depends on your skill level. I have both. I ride a 2009 KX450F and my son races a 2009 KX250F. They are both serious BADASS bikes.... the best of the best IMO.
The 450F has ALLOT of power!! On the mx tracks, most of the time I can set faster lap times on my sons KX250F. It's easier to turn and go fast, but it you are not a very fast racer, you can clear bigger jumps with the 450 without carrying a ton of speed.
The 450 is loads of fun, but a handful on a Track. Unless your last name is Stewart, you wont be using all the power of a 450......but it is fun.

This is my son.... fast little bugger!!

I put a set of Talon hubs/spokes/nipples with Excell rims on, PC Titanium full system, fat bars and sunline levers.... the 250F is an amazing bike!!

And here is Me on his 250F. I am 185-190lbs, 5'10" and have NO problem with the power of this bike!! me........=

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i agree that for track use the 250 would be better, but that 450f can do anything you ask it no matter where you are,

and not even bubba can use all the power of the kawi because team green doesnt like having winning riders:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You cant go wrong with either..... but I paid $4600 for the 2009 KX250F still in the crate as seen in the pic. The 450F was $5600. $1000 difference.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
hey morefire, those are cool pics, im liking your sons 250, the black and green is the way to go

·
Ninja Police!
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm..thank you so much for incite on the two bikes. I prolly wont be using it for racing or trying to go pro lol. I just love having a good time..so i guess ill decide between the 450F and the 250F when the time comes. Hmm you guys look like your having a good ole time out there...:( i wanna go lol

·
Gen3
824 Posts
450 FTW!!! Its like trying to compare a 10r to a 6r. Some would argue the 6 is a better track bike. So do the 250f guy. For me i will never step down from anything other than a 450. I actually went up in power. I had a yz426 since it was new in 01' and last year i sold it and picked up a kx 500. MO POWA!!! Just like the 10r... you will more than likely never see me on something smaller.

my old bike... 01' yz 426

my old/new 01' kx 500. It just as well be brand new, the dude i got it from had it as a collector. But as you can see... its not stock.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So you think a 450 huh? lol..i might agree, better to have the power and not need it, than need the power and not have it, i suppose lol..I just cant get over how sick the 2010 450F is...
If you are riding in fields, sand or hilly terain, the 450's power is great, but if you are racing tight MX tracks, if you are not an "expert" you will be faster on the 250F.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
hmm...ill prolly be doing both...oh which one to choose?...lol
Are you a fast rider? strong on the track? Get the 450! Are you a newb on the track? if you are a newb on the track you WILL do better and feel better on the 250F.

But if you really want the 450... just spend the extra $G

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
At the beginning of this thread I was thinking 450...then by the middle I was thinking 250...now I think I am back to 450. The 450KTM I have ridden was a FREAKIN' ANIMAL! So I guess 450.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
At the beginning of this thread I was thinking 450...then by the middle I was thinking 250...now I think I am back to 450. The 450KTM I have ridden was a FREAKIN' ANIMAL! So I guess 450.

It all depends if you just want to play with more power, or if you are racing and want to be the fastest. My 14 year old son absolutley cleans house of his 250f, he pulls almost all the holeshots againts 450F's and 250T's and runs away with the race, all the time. He can lap me riding my 450 in a few laps and I dont think I really suck...he is just fast. Its all rider anyways.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
It all depends if you just want to play with more power, or if you are racing and want to be the fastest. My 14 year old son absolutley cleans house of his 250f, he pulls almost all the holeshots againts 450F's and 250T's and runs away with the race, all the time. He can lap me riding my 450 in a few laps and I dont think I really suck...he is just fast. Its all rider anyways.
And now I am back to 250 LOL

How about he just gets both! :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
:+1:

I bought a 2007 KX250F new back in 07, and while it was a great bike, it wasn't for me. Being a relatively inexperienced rider I thought it would be better to get the smaller one, and didn't know what kind of riding I was going to do. Had I fallen in love with the MX track, it would have been perfect. However, I haven't turned a wheel at the track to this day. Playing around at the local parks I would have preferred a bigger bike for more adrenaline factor. It's just like streetbikes. If you want to hone your skills on track and really get at it as a relative amatuer, get a 6. If you're playing around on the street with the occasional trackday get a 10.

Rep sent morefire.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts