Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get a 2009 ZX10R.

Amazing bike, great...
But i sat on one the other day, messed with the stering damper, but it is almost like nothing changes when i chage the settings...

Is this normal?

I used to have a SUZUKI GSXR1100W with a stering damper and when i putted on the hardest setting it was VERY hard to turn the wheel.

Anyone here who have a 2009 ZX10R could please enlight this to me??

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

Amazing bike, great...
But i sat on one the other day, messed with the stering damper, but it is almost like nothing changes when i chage the settings...

Is this normal?

I used to have a SUZUKI GSXR1100W with a stering damper and when i putted on the hardest setting it was VERY hard to turn the wheel.

Before you get killed - use the search button.
THere are several threads on the uneffective damper but there are a few fixes:
Send to Dan Kyle for a Rebuild
Rebuild yourself (this is what I did)
Put Heavier oil in it

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
no rhym or reason!

These OEM dampers are hit or miss.
I can set mine to the hardest setting and it stiffens up quiet abit.
Then you read others of no effect at all.
Like rkwaki says,consider having it rebuilt or scrap it all together.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
mines enroute to dan kyle right now. looking forward to it actually working. its pretty useless in stock form. i think kawi did this to keep the squids from having it cranked down all the way, and pulling into a parking lot and falling over???? word is the '10 works correctly, but i was very disapointed in it in oem form. i feel sure i will be happier with it when i get it back from dan!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got an aftermarket ohlins for free, but they said its a liability with Kawi that they signed a contract to make them like this so no one would crank it down and ride from the dealer and crash and sue them. You know, america, everyones worried about being sued.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got an aftermarket ohlins for free, but they said its a liability with Kawi that they signed a contract to make them like this so no one would crank it down and ride from the dealer and crash and sue them. You know, america, everyones worried about being sued.
How would you got one for free?

Did you wrote to OHLINS or something like that?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

Amazing bike, great...

Is this normal?

Factory dampener is very mild at full stiff. I changed an added 20 weight fork oil and it's fine.

Never had a tank slapper and I see the shift light often. I am sure a rebuild will make the bike feel even better.

Rebuild is the way to go! Bike is pretty solid in stock trim though!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts

did you send in your stock piece and ohlins is sending you a better damper?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
sending it in for the modified internals is the way to go, but adding thicker oil does indeed work too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Careful with just putting heavier oil in. This will in fact add more resistance to the steering but it may not be as variable as you want. I had the same problem on my 06'. I suspect that all of the bikes that have this factory installed damper is the same. I guess it makes sense in a way. If someone walked by your bike and cranked up the damper then I guess you could jump on your bike and just ride off the road at the 1st corner not being able to turn. I sent mine to an Ohlins suspension guy close to me after I was advised that proper bleeding was needed after the fix.

I'm not a qualified tech but I'll tell you my experience. I noticed that with my riding style on the 10, when riding hard would throttle the front off the ground a couple of inches but most of the time I wouldn't be aware of it until I shifted gears. At times while unaware I would put a little weight on a bar and once the correction bucked me up out of the seat a couple of inches. Personally stuff on my bikes must be functional, I'm not apposed to bling but I won't put stuff on my bikes because it's shiny. My damper had no real difference from adjusted all the way out to all the way in and was just decoration. I sent it to the suspension shop and told him my complaint. He took it apart and called to tell me what he found out. The needle in my unit was drilled (I suspect all 2nd & 3rd gen dampers are) so that it will bypass. The guy told me that my options were buy an Ohlins replacement needle or get him to epoxy the holes in the stock needle. I opted for the replacement needle. 2 weeks later I got another call from John saying that he replaced the needle, bled the damper and while testing it he noticed that the adjustment was not very linear in some points. He attributed the large jumps to the shape of the replacement needle. I then agreed to get him to take it apart again and install the epoxied original needle.

When I got it and installed it for the riding season I was very happy with the results. The way mine is set is that if the front-end gets a little air and I don't notice the damper, it just slows the steering enough to keep the front wheel from flopping over too much. There's a railway crossing that always launches the front close to my house so for a week I always made a point to go over it to adjust the damper setting. I settled for 6 turns in. I don't notice it while paddling around in parking lots, and really when the front gets light I still don't notice it (I guess I'm just use to it). Really I don't really think about it at all these days.

IMO - if you put heavier oil in the damper you will get a constant feeling like you are steering your bike through peanut butter. I like my bike's feel because it's light and responsive without feeling like a twitchy crack-whore.

GL

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
That's been common knowledge around here for sometime. Some have reported they soldered or brazed their needles closed.

I do agree with you they need bleed properly with a "vacuum" bleeder like Dan Kyle uses, BUT if the home remedy works for others, good for them.

Back in 1993 I put an Ohlins damper on my then new ZX7R, took it out for a high speed blast, turned the damper up full stiff, then while exiting off the freeway (with damper still at full stiff) then slowing down to stop almost crashed because I was unable to make the small steering adjustments to the bars one makes when going slow that you don't realize your doing. Certainly that is why Kawasaki made a damper that has little stiffness on full setting.
I had a 1993 ZX7R that bike was rock solid. And word up the heavy oil works for me. I doubt I will send out the dampener.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sold my stock Ohlins, got $165.00 for it on eBay. Almost embarrassed to admit I got that much for it. :lol:

I then took the $90.00 that Dan Kyle charges, added it to the eBay sell and for less than $60.00 more I bought the REAL Ohlins OEM replacement fit damper from Hard Racing, where I got a 5% VIC discount to boot.

Mine looks like the one on the new 2010 model. Does NOT have the Blue Ohlins sticker, but Ohlins in Gold etched in by laser.

Full stiff locks the bars.

It also has the new design internals. Works great on click #4.

Perfect fit, no worries about leaks (ala GPR) and even has a warranty.
Aren't the two dampers shown exactly the same exept for internal valving/oil weight,and after Dan Kyle's work wouldn't the stock damper work exactly the same as the one you bought.Not trying to cause any trouble and please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I had a 1993 ZX7R that bike was rock solid. And word up the heavy oil works for me. I doubt I will send out the dampener.
vr6

hahahahahaha

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
vr6

hahahahahaha
Did you have a 06 Ohlins damper on your zx7R or something:dontknow:

·
Registered
74 Posts
{Copy and Paste}

ALL new Design Magnesium Color Body, and LASER Etched Ohlins Logo.
THIS ALL NEW OHLINS Damper has ALL NEW Mechanical Reservoir design built in which keeps Oil Pressure at a constant Rate While the Fluid expands and contracts. This keeps the Damper Consistent Feel, ALL the time.

It works GREAT! For the extra $60.00 I am happy with it. However the stock damper with the Dan Kyle mod will work great also.
Thanks for updated info,good to know and something to think about over the winter Dan Kyle mod or go your route.:idea:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts