Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 zx10r sat for about a year and a half. It initially fired up right away and ran for about 5 minutes. i went to ride it around the block and it cut off. Every time now when i start it it will cut off after about 30 seconds. It also doesn't always start. This has gotten worse. Most of the time it will crank and flash the FI light and not start. i have added fuel stabilizer to the fuel and then drained the tank and put fresh fuel in after the stabilizer didn't help. i also have a brand new battery.
Any advice or suggestions would help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately i did not add anything into the tank before it sat. It ran perfectly when it was last parked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was low on fuel when it was parked but not enough to set the low fuel light. Also the FI light flashes on and off at about 1 second intervals while cranking. With just the key on the FI light doesn't come on and the times that it does start the FI light is off.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Thanks Skydork. I saw this thread and have tried this but no code number showed up.

So, if it was a fuel issue it wouldn't be setting off the FI code. If the FI (symbol and light) is flashing during the start sequence while holding down the button, that's typically related to the tip over sensor being tripped. You could have a malfunctioning switch. Try using a jumper wire to bypass it and see if that works to get it started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when cranking if i give it wide open throttle the crank speed increases. I will look into the tip over sensor but i have never even heard of it before honestly. Would you know where it is located?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
when cranking if i give it wide open throttle the crank speed increases. I will look into the tip over sensor but i have never even heard of it before honestly. Would you know where it is located?

It cranks easier since it's easier to get the air in it with the throttle cracked open. That's normal.

The tip over switch is in the tail section near the tail light. It's a mechanical switch and can cause issues with starting. It's typical if the FI light only comes on when the button is held. It's something to check and eliminate off the list of problems. If there's a true error code generated, it should stay active as long as the ignition is on and make it easy to read the code. It shouldn't go away when the starter button is released.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skydork you were right on. It looks like the bolts fell out of the tip over sensor. The sensor was loose flopping around. Once i turned the sensor the right way it stated right up. I put new bolts in it and took it out for a ride and it rode perfect.
Thanks to everyone for all the help!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Skydork you were right on. It looks like the bolts fell out of the tip over sensor. The sensor was loose flopping around. Once i turned the sensor the right way it stated right up. I put new bolts in it and took it out for a ride and it rode perfect.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!

Sweet! Glad she's running good again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts