Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock 2009 ZX-10R ran fine when I first purchased it. Now, 700 miles later it went from stalling upon start-up about every third time to every other time and now almost every time. It always stays running upon the second start. Along with that it initially runs at about 1000 RPMs when first started for a few seconds then revs to anywhere from 2200 to 2800 RPMs until it reaches 115 to 120 degrees then goes back down to 1000 RPMs. I took it to my dealer and they referred the problems to Kaw. Kaw said they were aware of such issues and did not have the fix at this time and may or may not issue a bulletin when the fix was available. All the sensors were checked at the dealer, also. I'm guessing it is an expensive computer issue and they do not want to spend the cash to fix all the affected bikes. I also had a noisy vibration in the ignition, so my dealer ordered some new screws for the ignition thus they still have the bike as of now. Bikes are meant to be fun and it isn't real fun to me when your co-workers give you bizarre looks when you are restarting your new bike to keep it running and sitting there waiting for the RPMs to come back down so I can finally drop it into gear. Maybe I should just drop it into gear before starting the second time and after a brief warm-up ride off. Any Ideas Out There? Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
to save from restarting it over and over, as soon as it fires give it a little rev to throw a little excess fuel..... it will stay running fine after that. Mine idles around 1100-1200 after it warms up.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The rattle in the ignition just goes with the brand

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 04 didn't have any of the new issues, but the transmission left a lot to be desired... wish they would have fixed the tranny and left the rest alone. Thanks again.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
ive never heard of that, does anyone elses stall like that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know of anyone else personally, but my dealer told me that Kaw told them that they were aware of the problem, but didn't have a fix... just not sure if they had complaints from others or stumbled onto it during testing, ect.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My 08 has alway's stalled after setting over night, now if I go for a ride then park it in the garage then come back a couple hours later it wont do it. I have just alway's womped on the throttle quick and smooth after I fired it for the first time of the day. Every since I have started doing that it hasnt died since.

When I say womp on the throttle, I just mean snap my wrist quickly. If I dont it acts like it is starved of fuel and dies. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Let me know if that helps your out......... We shouldnt have to do it but I suppose we'll see what KAWI comes up with. Also if you hear about what KAWI comes up with post it up please.

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
762 Posts
Sounds to me like a slightly out of precision temperature sensor.

Compare the sensor resistance measurement with another 10R not showing your problem and having stayed in the same room overnight (friend´s bike or at the dealership)
Just a few ohms of difference will expose the defective sensor.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine sits for weeks at a time (in between track) It will always start first hit and then stall, then comes on fine the next time.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Mine sits for weeks at a time (in between track) It will always start first hit and then stall, then comes on fine the next time.
Same issue here, The only other bike I have to compare it to is an 05 636 and 99 883 harley.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Same issue here, The only other bike I have to compare it to is an 05 636 and 99 883 harley.
Oh I left out that wouldnt work

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 08 normally stalls after its parked in the garage for a day or more. This is my first Kaw and outside of performance I'm very disappointed. A friend and I have the same year and neither of us wheelie but we both had bad fork seal leaks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You Very Much for ALL your feedback!!! It is really cool to actually find people (except for 1) that are willing to help a guy (and others with the same problem)out. It is also very interesting to see that there are more of these issues out there. I did pick up a Kawasaki shop manual for 08-09 ZX10R in which I went back to the electrical chapter and found that to test the water temperature sensor you need to remove it from the bike and submerge the threaded part (along with an accurate thermometer) in a coolant mixture and bring the heat up to certain temperatures and take resistance readings. Any bets out there that my shop went to that extreme? LOL You can bet I will ask how they tested it. Anyway I am going to wait until the shop calls and we will go from there. Once again thank you to all and I will try the throttle snap method and will post back with updates... hopefully; there will be updates.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thank you for the feedback... I will give that a try. Maybe they should have installed a choke like they used to have on the carbureted models back in the day.
Some of the later model fuel injected sportbikes do
come with a "fast idle" lever that is used similar to
a choke. (My old ZX12 had it)

Either way, I would get it straightend out. Should not
be dying especially in August. Mine been sitting for a
week, fired right up. Sat at 1100 - 1200 rpms breifly
and then picked up to 1800 - 1900 rpms. Not stock
though.

Try bumping up your idle to 1100 or 1200 rpms when
warm.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah mine does the same thing when I start it after its been sitting for a while and cold will die on first try unless I blip the throttle, also I have noticed that Ive been having to adjust my idle speed every so often i will have it set at one RPM and then it drops every so often almost like the idle adjuster moves ??? maybe from vibes or something i really dont know its never got low enough for it to stall or anything but thats somethign ive noticed here in the last few weeks, got prob around 7100 miles on it now..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts