Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
It was the same with the 07/08 R1 (which I owned btw): Dead below 9999 rpm but very alive at 10000 rpm or higher.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
that new R1 is just Junk I guess, Im wondering what Yamaha is gonna do for it when the time comes to redesign it ?? you think they will keep the current motor in there or go back to the regular inline 4 ???

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Id sure like to hit some twisty backroads with you on my gutless R1, mine sure in the hell isnt having all the trouble's like you've mentioned. sure its not the big brute the 10R is but its no slouch either. who gives a fuck if the 10R is faster, quit dwelling on it man, they are all motorcycles enjoy them

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I don't care how wonderful it is in the twisties, that's not why most people buy liter bikes. My 60 hp SV650 didn't require downshifts to pass on the highway, and there is no reason a brand new liter bike should. This just fortifies the ZX-10R's stature of being the baddest street bike on the block. Not to mention the bike is down right ugly when parked( Looks better w/ a rider on it.)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The new issue of cycle world arrived today and it did not exactly say the same things... In the 09 superbike test, they said things like this.

"Easy to push and perfect to accelerate early, even with big lean angles"
"The best engine in the test with very smooth throttle response at all RPM"

Of course this test was held in europe, so maybe they have a different bike over there that might not be gutless.

The 1198S was thrashed by them all due to what turned out to be a leaky front tire causing low tire pressure. They had bad rides on it, but c'mon, how fair is it to talk bad about it then note that it had a leaky front tire. It scored less points than all others I believe, and they did not really care for the 10.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I doubt that i'll own a new yamaha streetbike ever....not until it's been proven at least.

remember a few years ago, the amazing R6 with a 17,500 RPM redline? Turns out the Tach was a liar. That's just a redline and doesn't mean much, but the way Yamaha advertised the crap out of it...it turned into a major selling point. and a major LIE.

This new R1 seems to be almost the same way. So much hype about it, so much advertisement of "moto GP" tech, and although it isn't a lie, it doesn't work. What a rip. I'd compare it to a really bad movie. They hype the hell out of it in the previews, hoping that people will go see it before the reviews come out and tell everyone how much it sucks.

Yamaha seems to be the only company that does this. I'm not sure why. I don't remember Kawasaki Hyping the '08 zx10 before it came out....It delivered on promises that hadn't even been made.

Between false advertisement, *alleged* ringer test bikes that were up on power from the production versions, and removing the exhaust to change the oil on a V-star 1100....screw yamaha.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I rode the 09 R1 and found it to be peppy. I like my gen1 10r better, but the R1 has no vibration, which is amazing. You only feel it in your ass when you're on the throttle. I thought that was pretty cool. Ergos are pretty good too. I'll get a copy of the mag and see what all the harshing's about.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
There is a huge difference in the HP numbers these bikes are putting out for the mags, there has to be some fishy buisness going on (ringer bikes). I have seen it as low as 142 and as high as 157 in the mags. I got a feeling the engine was proven not reliable in testing so the production bikes took a big hit in the mapping department. No denying the weight either, its a heavy sumbitch.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
ANY liter bike has more potential than anyone here. ive never ridden an 09 R1 and i think its gross looking, but its a beast on the track so that has to account for something

·
Registered
677 Posts
ANY liter bike has more potential than anyone here. ive never ridden an 09 R1 and i think its gross looking, but its a beast on the track so that has to account for something
bullshit, on all accounts. There a number of people on here that can ride the R1 and the ZX10 for that matter to and beyond:) their potential and no the R1 is not a beast on the track its fucking gutless, heavy and slow. OH wait it is gross looking though on that you are correct but that's an opinion thing

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Regardless, the R1 seems to be selling well in Australia anyways ;) Nearly double the next highest, the CBR1000RR, and up 44% compared to last year at the same time. I'd be interested to know what the worldwide numbers are. Here in Canada at least, I have yet to see an '09 R1 on the road. When I visited the Yamaha showroom, there were more than a few, probably due to the nearly $17k price tag! They were discounting it by $2k, but still $15k!!! Hard to swallow when you can go down the street and pick up a new '08 ZX-10R for $8,500.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchives/2009/Sales_Half/top_models_supersport.htm

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
probably due to the nearly $17k price tag! They were discounting it by $2k, but still $15k!!! Hard to swallow when you can go down the street and pick up a new '08 ZX-10R for $8,500.
i paid $8900 otd back in 08 for my 08 10r.... i really wanted a ducati, but for the price i couldnt beat the 10r

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
I don't care how wonderful it is in the twisties, that's not why most people buy liter bikes. My 60 hp SV650 didn't require downshifts to pass on the highway, and there is no reason a brand new liter bike should. This just fortifies the ZX-10R's stature of being the baddest street bike on the block. Not to mention the bike is down right ugly when parked( Looks better w/ a rider on it.)
:rolleyes: well my R1 or any other litre bike iv owned never required downshifts either to pass. im breaking my 09 R1 per the manual and so far so good, the bike pulls good and strong down low and seems to run very well above 6K. im starting to think magicmavis had a dud. also my seat gets warm but nothing ridiculous. in my new cycleworld they had there 09 r1 showing 160HP, i do agree thats a load of bull. i do think this r1 runs good but im not going to bullshit anybody either, the 08 10R that i traded for it deffinatly would pull away in any sort of roll-on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yamaha recently teamed up with NESBA to offer a demo ride on 09' R1's at VIR

My impression.....Very roomy cockpit (pegs scraped too easy) and easy bike to ride quickly; brakes were awesome; power reminded me of what my TL1000R would feel like if it was updated...People that ride 600's and want more torque would love it. It didn't feel like an inline 4 at all, didn't need to shift much. Overall it didn't excite me or leave my hands shaking like my first ride on my ZX10. I feel much better about my purchase; I was torn between the R1 and ZX10.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a liter bike. It's going to pull hard period. I know we're a bunch of proud 10r owners but no need to bash on any particular company because it's low on power. I've owned a lot of bikes, and different manufactures. I like what I like when I like it. I mean if the company is junk that's different, bash away. cough cough "Harley" cough....

Props to Yamaha for putting something new and different out there. It's going to change in 2011 anyway so who cares?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Id sure like to hit some twisty backroads with you on my gutless R1, mine sure in the hell isnt having all the trouble's like you've mentioned. sure its not the big brute the 10R is but its no slouch either. who gives a fuck if the 10R is faster, quit dwelling on it man, they are all motorcycles enjoy them

When commuting to work I have to ride the freeways, no way around it. Shifting down 2 gears to pass a tractor trailer is completely unacceptable of any liter bike.

09 R1 Yamaha at 80 MPH requires a 4th gear to pass a tractor trailer.

ZX10 (any year) just roll the throttle on in 6th and hold on baby!
Master link it DOES matter if a 1000 has power down low for many reasons as you can read my POWER REVIEW in my thread:http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76798( in doing 1000miles in 3 days related to what I highlighted in Red in a snip it of the thread:

If anyone knows Hwy 5 it’s nothing more than 2 lanes long and straight FILLED WITH CARS AND BIG RIGS MIXED TOGETHER(BiG RIGs always trying to Pass each other to slow cars down :badteeth:). The ZX10R carves them up and spits them out. There was no car or situation I had to wait to long to pass…….basically if BiG Rigs want to pass the 10R has so much acceleration I can pass instantaneously once they get on the fast lane…..same with cars that are doing 90mph + I can pass them to a clear lane like they are standing still and continue on my way while all the other cars get stuck behind slow cars. My old ZX9R was like that as well but the 10 is literally point and click(open the throttle) to the spot you want to be in. :thumbsup:
Basically I need a 1000 that has power everywhere, does the R1 I don't know never rode one but do know when the 1st Gen came out the Mags said at the time an R1 can PASS CARS WITH EASE ON THE HWY BUT THE ZX10R CAN PASS A DOZEN CARS WITH EASE and I confirmed that on my last trip.....yes many can use a GOOD 1000 even if they don't hang out in the Twisties. :wink::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts