1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks, bro. Good article!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
First, he did a good job on getting consistent laptimes for two days of boring ass testing. He has to ride fast enough to be respectable but don't toss the bike away on unknown tires. That is a tough job. I wonder how many people actually respect that.

But they have Dunlops listed at 21/26 cold/hot on the front and 19/24 cold/hot rear (24.5 at the streets.) That is not what is recommended on the Dunlop site http://www.dunlopracing.com/fitment-2009.html or in the PDF they send with all tire orders. Pressures should be 30/33 F and 21/23 R.

I also wonder were geometry changes made to the bike to account for the 17.5mm total difference between the Dunlops and Pirellis?

Good to see the test. I like to see some quantifiable results on tires regardless of the testing problems.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
great article, i'm a big fan of the BT003R and will be trying out the pirelli for the first time. Its nice to see Dave in this, he sets up my suspension!!! And Chris too! I buy my tires from him! :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
First, he did a good job on getting consistent laptimes for two days of boring ass testing. He has to ride fast enough to be respectable but don't toss the bike away on unknown tires. That is a tough job. I wonder how many people actually respect that.

I also wonder were geometry changes made to the bike to account for the 17.5mm total difference between the Dunlops and Pirellis?
Agree on how hard it would be to do testing like that.

As for the geometry changes:"...Due to the large differences in tire profiles and circumferences, it would have been impossible to adjust the Suzuki to make all equal, so the GSX-R was left in the base setup position and remained as a constant for each set of rubber..."

That part is why I don't really take this test too seriously. You can't compare tires if you don't give them all an equal chance to perform at their best by at least compensating for their different circumferences.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Several of you made some very good points concerning the test, however; I think the following statements are the most telling, "Numbers don’t lie and if you were to look through a microscope one could conclude the Dunlop Sportmax GP-A as top of the pile. But I’m not going to give them a crown, some fancy title, or roll out the red carpet. Why? Because the real revelation wasn’t who won outright, but just the sheer competiveness and utter closeness of the four major race tire manufacturers." "I hate to break it to you guys, but as you can see here plain as day, it’s the rider and machine, not the tires, that makes the difference."

The majority of the riders here are mere mortals and anyone one of those tires tested would do us well. Personally I'm disappointed that Avon didn't fare as well but I'll still contiune to use them. That being said I'll also try other tires to get a different flavor of what's offered. Just my .02, cheers.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I saw that on facebook. Though, I lost interest as I'm never looking to run any of the tires mentioned. I can't out-ride my powers, no need to get a tire that wears faster for nothing.

·
Registered
677 Posts

But they have Dunlops listed at 21/26 cold/hot on the front and 19/24 cold/hot rear (24.5 at the streets.) That is not what is recommended on the Dunlop site http://www.dunlopracing.com/fitment-2009.html or in the PDF they send with all tire orders. Pressures should be 30/33 F and 21/23 R.

Good to see the test. I like to see some quantifiable results on tires regardless of the testing problems.
well they did have dave there, pretty sure he can read a tire and set up a bike, I guess thats why its call a recommended tire pressure, every bike, track, rider and day is different.... from what I gather they didn't account for the geometry changes which is kinda odd to me, but I am not sure it would have really made that much of a difference maybe in feel and confidence but it seems the rider didn't have any major issues and was dealing with things so....would it have really mattered?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I saw that on facebook. Though, I lost interest as I'm never looking to run any of the tires mentioned. I can't out-ride my powers, no need to get a tire that wears faster for nothing.
smart man, most people can't, as long as its round, holds air and made with in the past 2-3 years by one of the major players tires are not the limiting factor 99% of the time. Cracks me up when peps start bitching about tires and they are running stock suspensions and/or are riding on the street.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well they did have dave there, pretty sure he can read a tire and set up a bike, I guess thats why its call a recommended tire pressure, every bike, track, rider and day is different.... from what I gather they didn't account for the geometry changes which is kinda odd to me, but I am not sure it would have really made that much of a difference maybe in feel and confidence but it seems the rider didn't have any major issues and was dealing with things so....would it have really mattered?
Yeah Dave Moss can set up a bike but they only did a base setup and then didn't change it for the day. The setup is on the last page. Running 5 flying (no stops) laps each day on each tire leaves no time for any setup changes.

As for the geometry making a difference, yes it would. How much though... depends on the rider. The size differences affect gearing, acceleration grip, side grip and braking stability - just about everything.

It's cool to see the test. I like seeing them. But what did the test really show? The Avon tire has problems and a very good rider(Steve) can run consistent laptimes slower than his personal best regardless of the tires he's on.

Disclaimer: I race on Dunlop. I have a grudge against Steve that he's never known about as he was hired at RRW several years ago over me because he had more racing experience. :lol:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wish they would have included the Conti Race Attacks in one of the various forms... Granted they aren't exactly new but I would have loved to see how they compared to the 209GPs. As a matter of fact, I wonder how the 211GPs would have performed as well?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts