Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need your help and tips regarding the swing arm angle of the zx10r 08-10. I know that when we raise 9mm the rear shock and let the front forks at the stock position the swingarm angle with the bike on its weight sets for 12.3 degrees. That makes the steering very light but the curving of the bike is so nice. Anyway to make the story short what combinations of rear raising and front decrease have you used for having a nice geometry and suspension setup for that bike? And if possible if someone knows what kind of top out springs do we have on that bike what kind of rating they have? That is my fault as I didn't pay attention when I was rebuilding the suspension. And what travel do we have on that suspension before we bottom them down. If I remember front suspension is not traveling all the way down it breaks at a point I don't remember any info with numbers would be great help in order to set the bike at its best possible setup. And one more thing when measuring swing arm angle we do sag first or it doesn't matter as we would have to do it again anyway. The reason I asked that is because there is a change on the weight distribution of the bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I have an idea of what you're saying, but its very broken English. I will say this though, there is no ideal setups for everybody. The way you're speaking is like its for a track bike. It would depend on you're riding style/bike setup/tires/track etc. I'm also trying to figure out if you're asking what the stock suspension setup you have specs. Or you're telling you put in aftermarket stuff and don't know the specs? You need to b more clear for anyone to help.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I also generally understand what you are asking, however I have never measured that accurately the swing arm angle. I am a 220lb rider and with the stock front suspension I do not have an issue bottoming out. I used zip ties to measure and make sure of this. The rear suspension the rear spring was very weak and problematic. So I changed the spring for my weight. I have the stock 10mm shim in place and I have added 4mm on top of that. I did that before the spring change and I have left it alone. All I did was reset the sag front and rear, then got the rest of my settings dialed in. For me street riding and some track day riding, this is more than adequate, and handles excellent as hard as I can push it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Guys I need your help and tips regarding the swing arm angle of the zx10r 08-10. I know that when we raise 9mm the rear shock and let the front forks at the stock position the swingarm angle with the bike on its weight sets for 12.3 degrees. That makes the steering very light but the curving of the bike is so nice. Anyway to make the story short what combinations of rear raising and front decrease have you used for having a nice geometry and suspension setup for that bike? And if possible if someone knows what kind of top out springs do we have on that bike what kind of rating they have? That is my fault as I didn't pay attention when I was rebuilding the suspension. And what travel do we have on that suspension before we bottom them down. If I remember front suspension is not traveling all the way down it breaks at a point I don't remember any info with numbers would be great help in order to set the bike at its best possible setup. And one more thing when measuring swing arm angle we do sag first or it doesn't matter as we would have to do it again anyway. The reason I asked that is because there is a change on the weight distribution of the bike.
That's interesting, did you measure the angle with the suspension loaded or unloaded I wonder ? I have a 600lb shock spring and .90 fork springs for my 160lb wt, with the front dropped 5mm from stock. I have 3 x 2.5mm extra washers below the shock mount. The stock spacer on my bike is 10mm.

The mechanical stop for the forks is about 25mm above the "shoe" so if you have a ziptie on there you'd want another 10mm above that.

Rear sag is difficult to set with the top out spring in the shock, but I'm running 16mm preload on my spring. Not sure about the top out springs on the forks, I have zero preload for feel and feedback. Dropping the forks reduces swingarm angle a tad, but it helps with turn in. I'd sure be interested to know how you measured swing arm angle :smile:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Swing arm angle, measured from the center of the swing arm pivit to the center of the rear wheel axil should be between 11 and 12.5 degrees, according to Dave Moss. This is with the rear wheel just touching the ground, not fully loaded. Any more angle creates chain tork reaction where the chain wants to pull the swing arm down, raising the rear of the bike under power. less angle causes the rear to squat under acceleration. Do a You Tube search I think you will find a Dave Moss video covering this issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I measured he angle on its own weight with tool I machined and made it for bikes same tool you can find in auto body shops where they count if a car chassis is straight and a digital inclinometer I have pictures I all post them for you no problem. For the tyre question I running stock 55 size

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok phots are there. now the stock shock has a 10mm shim from kawasaki i added on top of that the 9mm ride height shims from kawasaki. so you know where i am. i returned everything to stock sag etc and the result was that the front suspension is back to stock as well. the tyres are the stock 55 size as i mentioned before and the measurements where taken while the bike settles on its own weight meaning i have placed the tool on the bike lifted it up and pulled down a couple of times so the shock would have moved let placed the inclinometer on the measure and let it there and the bike settled for the 12.3 degrees angle without touching anything

·
Registered
759 Posts
that's a real neat tool for measuring the angle :cool:

Its still not clear to me if the suspension is unloaded or not, have you jacked the bike up to allow the swing arm to find its lowest position with the back wheel just off the ground? With 9mm spacers in there I would have expected more of an angle. I think stock is around 11.4 degrees

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i lifted up the bike on its real wheel all the way up to open the shock at its maximum point i lets say a couple of times. i was alone so i couldnt do the lifting the bike both wheels just touching the ground and then measure. the measurements its on the bikes weight static on the side stand no extra load on it

·
Registered
759 Posts
You could lift the rear on a paddock stand, then use a trolley jack and piece of wood under the motor/exhaust to just lift the bike clear of the stand. This would be enough to fully unload the suspension. That swing arm needs to drop fully down to get the correct angle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rear was totally off the ground and then i let it settle thats when i measured i was thinking about lifting both wheels and holding the bike at point where they wheels just touch. but if you are talking about raising the bike off the ground that was easy just pull it and the bike is standing on the side stand without having the wheels touching the ground

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Renais thank you for liking the tool ... You can actually measure sag with it as well, for the rear shock having a point like 0 angle on the inclinometer or any other position you used to have a point to measure. You can also measure the front suspension rake and sag of a bike but you would need an extra hand for some of the measurements in order to take them accurately. By the way how can I edit my posts I see a load of typo mistakes on my posts I hate the mobile internet browsers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
should be an "edit" box right next to the "quote" box bottom RHS of your post. Keep us informed of any other mods, spring changes etc. Always good to share information :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I have an idea of what you're saying, but its very broken English. I will say this though, there is no ideal setups for everybody. The way you're speaking is like its for a track bike. It would depend on you're riding style/bike setup/tires/track etc. I'm also trying to figure out if you're asking what the stock suspension setup you have specs. Or you're telling you put in aftermarket stuff and don't know the specs? You need to b more clear for anyone to help.
tyler its totally stock suspension the kayaba front forks and the rear shock as it came from kawasaki. the sprockets are the stock factory ones as i need the final speed too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts