Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 zx10r and noticed lately its been having more frequently and maybe hopefully it's just a user issue....but when I am coming to a stop light and I down shift usually when down shifting from like 3rd or 4th to first all at once, not clutch in down one and out then clutch in down another etc...just clutch in, down shift down shift that its been just stalling and rolling then I hit the ignition and it fires back up....any ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
73 Posts
what is the bike idling at? I am thinking that when you pull the clutch in and downshift to first you keep the clutch pulled in correct? if that is the case the bike is just rolling on its own and friction is stopping it...your bike should not stall if the clutch is pulled in unless it is idiling way to low. If you are releasing the clutch and it is stalling while your slowing down and the RPM's are dropping it is probably your fault for not giving it enough gas or not utilizing some clutch play. How many miles are on the bike? How long have you owned the bike? Lastly, how long have you been riding, I would not think it is user error if you are not a brand new rider...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idles around 1000-1300 rpm. 17,000 miles 08' have had it for 2 years. I don't think it's user error unless my clutch is becoming ultra sensitive all the sudden with any slack but I'm pretty sure I'm holding clutch in enough whilst shifting down. Been riding 5 years

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only change to the bike was there was a recall on the bike battery regulator so I took it into a certified shop and they replaced it for free...I just hope they didn't screw something up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I've notice that let's say I'm coming to a faster harder stop and I quick shift down two gears to first with clutch in throttle not pulled at all is more so when it seems to bog down.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
The idle should be set at 1,150rpms, +-100 rpm. Usually this problem is due to a low idle condition, but it sounds like yours is set pretty close to the correct range. Just for fun, I'd try upping the idle to be sure it's at the higher end of that at around 1,300rpm all the time. Sometimes it's hard to tell where it's at on the tachometer, so grab a laptop if you can, plug into the power commander, and see what the PC is showing as far as RPM goes in the software while the engine is running. That will give you a better idea where you're at.

Also, have you had the bike tuned? What are your fueling numbers in your power commander map at 0% throttle? You may be running too lean down low and it chokes out when the throttle plates close. Just another option to consider.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
stalling

I have the 08 also I had the stator replaced on recall from Kawi. The reason they replaced it was because the bike would just quit running. Especially bad if your leaned over. I would say the dealer did not get the recall right I would take it back and ask them what they replaced.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
I have the 08 also I had the stator replaced on recall from Kawi. The reason they replaced it was because the bike would just quit running. Especially bad if your leaned over. I would say the dealer did not get the recall right I would take it back and ask them what they replaced.
The stator was was never part of a recall, it was the regulator. Two different things. And that by itself wouldn't just cause the bike to stall out. It would not charge the battery and the bike will die after the battery would discharge. At that point, there would be no way to start it. Definitely not what the OP is experiencing here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's tuned pcv and a full system boz bros. the guy who tuned it always seems "too busy" to ever answer my questions or provide help. It's funny cuz people suggested him from this site and I never get responses from the guy on any of my questions after the install and dyno

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
regulator

The stator was was never part of a recall, it was the regulator. Two different things. And that by itself wouldn't just cause the bike to stall out. It would not charge the battery and the bike will die after the battery would discharge. At that point, there would be no way to start it. Definitely not what the OP is experiencing here.

Bingo your right it was the regulator. I remember on the recall notice they said may cause the bike to stop running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also find one of those pour in fuel tank injection cleaners and run that through a tank of fuel like gumout, but try to make sure its safe for motorcycles. And you don't need a lot obviously so put the rest in your car's gas tank. I had the same issue with my gen 1 when I hit 20 k miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing is happening to me, since I just had the PCV and Autotune installed on my bike. I've got a 2009 ZX-10R, with only 5,000 miles on it. I've had it since June 2012, and it had 1,800 miles. It's NEVER stalled on me coming to a full stop, until now. I've had the PCV installed for about 2-3 weeks, and recently had the Autotune installed just 5 days ago. It never stalled with just the PCV installed, but it sure does it A LOT now with the Autotune installed. I loaded the default map, so I'm not so sure what I'm missing? I have a slip-on Level One Racing (LOR) exhaust that it came with, and they even installed the O2 sensor right around the brake pedal area of the pipe. I also installed the K&N air filter too. Any help with this would be helpful, and yes, I've already had the voltage regulator swapped out by the dealer also. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE: For my situation, and the threads that I've been reading and researching, I hooked up my laptop computer, and checked my RPM's. It was running aroung 900-950 after warming up the engine. It was recommended for my RPM's to be 1150 (+/- 100) or it might have been 1100 (+/- 150). Either way, I brought up my RPM's to 1200-1250. My stalling problem has seemed to gone away, but I have stalls once or twice during a ride, but it has gotten better, and not all the time now. SO I think that my issue may be resolved. THanks for this forum and all the threads about this subject!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't noticed my rpm's dropping sense I put on block off plates.They only dropped when I stop fast. I think it was getting to much air. Before I put on plates, I had m4 full system, pc5, and bmc filter.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts