Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm recent convert to Kawasaki. Moved from a GSXR to a fresh out of the box 08 ZX10R last month and have not any second thoughts at all. I love everything about the bike!....except one thing:

The vibration and buzzing in the front end that occurs between 2000 and 4500 RPM. This problem is enough for me to sell the bike. It feels like I am riding anything but $10k superbike.

I've read bits and pieces on this site of other people having the same issue but I am wondering if there is a definitive list of fixes with photos for the buzzing? Also, I am wondering if anyone has had any luck going back to the dealer with this buzzing issue. I cannot find for the life of me where it's coming from.

Please help.

Greg :zx_silver

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 07 does it too.. So did my zx6r.

Its nearly impossible to find where its coming from while riding, so I just learned to ignore it.
Impossible is a good word to describe it. I have spent hours looking. Surely someone has figured it out...I hope ; )

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice one. That's where i was sure the buzzing on mine came from. I'll have a play with it. If you think Kawasaki's are annoying. Try owning a Alfa Romeo. The whole god damn car rattles and buzzes.......even when its stood still...lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also found another spot to check and my buzzis gone ,brake side of bike up under front cowel is a harness wire that goes into the speedo cluster , there is a metal clamp with rubber around it to keep the wire from moving ,mine was touching the cowel just bend it back alittle and this might make yours go away ,sorry no pics but I think you will see what im talking about once you look up in there .

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Don't sell the bike, just do some investigating.My 1st gen had 3 sources of buzz in the front and all were remedied. 1st was the clutch cable on the ram air tube, 2nd was the wind screen and a metal bracket, and 3rd was a loose nut on the head light. It used to annoy the crap out of me, but now all I hear is sweet music.

·
Registered
620 Posts
also found another spot to check and my buzzis gone ,brake side of bike up under front cowel is a harness wire that goes into the speedo cluster , there is a metal clamp with rubber around it to keep the wire from moving ,mine was touching the cowel just bend it back alittle and this might make yours go away ,sorry no pics but i think you will see what im talking about once you look up in there .
:+1:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've been hunting around a lot trying to find the source of the buzz on mine with no luck so far, but I honestly haven't given it all that much attn. The fact that it's really only audible in gear while riding makes it harder to pin downd the location. I tried Espen's fix by bending back a tab on the underside of the ignition, but that hasn't worked for me =(. One of these days I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll call the dealer that I bought the bike from and ask the service manager if there's anything obvious that he knows about? Heck, they deal with these bikes/issues all the time. I used to work at a dealership, and I became quite familiar with quirks like this on other bikes/cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
its very annoying just havent had time to rip it all apart yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who gave their thoughts on the brutal buzzing. I'm still working on tracking down the remaining minor buzzes. I was able to find the loudest culprit although I'm not sure I have a fix. On the front end of the bike, the plastic fairing comes to a sharp "V" above the headlights. It is the corners of the "V" that are vibrating badly.

Anybody have any ideas on a way to "tighten" these "V's"?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
My '09 was buzzing very loud from about 2k-8k rpm's. It turned out to be the cable retaining bracket in front of the handlebars. To find it I just went to a deserted road and started putting my hand on different parts of the bike to see if the buzzing stopped. It stopped when I put my hand on it, so I just pried the cable retaining bracket away from the ignition key box and the buzzing went away.

Key things to look for are very very small gaps between somewhat flimsy metal parts. Hard contact usually won't buzz, and big gaps don't vibrate enough to make contact. Use a plastic tipped screw driver to carefully bend open any small gaps or light contact in that area to be about a 2-3mm gap, then see if the buzzine went away.

For the rider with the tips buzzing - Never seen that before. Are you sure that its those tips? There's a little tab right behind them that's supposed to retain them you might check to see if its broken off? If it is the tips get a thin piece of urethane foam and wedge it between the headlight and the tip, then trim whatever is sticking out with a razor. It will stop the buzzing and you won't be able to see it. Use closed-cell urethane and it will last forever too. If you can get one of those foam type of ear plugs they are usually made of closed cell urethane and would work fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No need to sell your bike!

The main buzz on the 08 10R is coming from the key switch. Try holding your key while riding and see if this removes the buzz.
The problem on my bike was that the key-lock mechanism was vibrating against the frame.
This has been the problem on two of my 10's and one 636... First I tried removing the "theft proof screws" and changed them to normal screws to get a little more torque. This helped some but not completely. Then, I used some small pieces of sound dampening material made for car audio application (knock off dynamat); I put pieces on the flat sides of the lock cylinder and the round bottom area. The material is black so very unnoticeable and the buzz is completely gone. I will post up some pictures by monday (out of town) and I have plenty of the sound dampening material left. PM me and I would be happy to send you some if you just pay shipping (small envelope).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks to all who gave their thoughts on the brutal buzzing. I'm still working on tracking down the remaining minor buzzes. I was able to find the loudest culprit although I'm not sure I have a fix. On the front end of the bike, the plastic fairing comes to a sharp "V" above the headlights. It is the corners of the "V" that are vibrating badly.

hmm.. I would try removing the fairing and duct and try refit. They could be badly positioned from factory?
If that does not help, pry some black rubber of some sort in between the fairing and duct, maybe?

The vibrations causing the buzzing on my 08 10R is now almost totally gone after a few services, Akrapovic, tirechanges and a remap. I'm thinking the exhaust-butterfly-valve and strange OEM mapping (operating at those revs) may be causing the engine to vibrate? You running OEM exhaust with exhaust valve connected?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anybody have any definite solutions? It seems like the ignition assembly is loose on my 08. The if I grab my key while its in the ignition, I can move the whole assembly a minor amount; it is has enough slack to cause that annoying buzzing sound. I also can hear another loud buzzing around 4,500 RPM, when I grab the right side mirror, it stops. I don't know if there is a wire in there rattling or what? I'm going to take the wind screen off and a few other parts to see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Anybody have any definite solutions? It seems like the ignition assembly is loose on my 08. The if I grab my key while its in the ignition, I can move the whole assembly a minor amount; it is has enough slack to cause that annoying buzzing sound. I also can hear another loud buzzing around 4,500 RPM, when I grab the right side mirror, it stops. I don't know if there is a wire in there rattling or what? I'm going to take the wind screen off and a few other parts to see what I can find.
yeah I had the same problem with my left mirror i ended up having to take the mirror off somewhat and put some foam under it cause when I tried to just tighten the bolts for it, the buzz was still there, but after putting some foam pieces under it made the buzzing go away, and for the ignition i put some black tape around it and the buzz went away for the most part i still get some small noises once in a while at certain RPM's but I just ignore it and forget about it...

·
Registered
513 Posts

I stuck two pieces of dense black foam probably an 1/8 thick in the "V's" and the buzzing is gone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
try my solution ,i posted it on the first page ,there is a wire clamp that goes to the speedo housing ,mine was touching the plastic just bent it in alittle and all is good ,you will see it up under the brake side of the fairing .:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts