Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crashed my bike big time when the HIFLOFILTRO oil filter seal exploded.
I can't find a 2008 zx10 or 2009 rad for the life of me. If anyone knows of one or parts for that bike please let me know !!!

What would be the closest fit ?? and how do I go about doing that ?

Plus my hoses should be replaced too, the bike was on fire from the oil all over the pipes.
if I use a automotive hose will it kink and stop the water flow ??

Thanks
Myron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at the moment I am trying to modify a 2005 zx 10 rad, the 2007 on was wider than mine, and will not fit under the racing body work.

the 2005 rad looks to be about 20 % smaller, do anyone know if that will be enough cooling for the race track ?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
at the moment I am trying to modify a 2005 zx 10 rad, the 2007 on was wider than mine, and will not fit under the racing body work.

the 2005 rad looks to be about 20 % smaller, do anyone know if that will be enough cooling for the race track ?
I am pretty sure the 08 ZX10 rad is the same size as the ZX14 rad. 08 10 rad is bigger than the Gen I and II rad I know for a fact.

I would not put a smaller rad on the bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2007 ZX14 radiator that is BRAND NEW with 0miles on it I will sell for $250.00 plus shipping but I don't know if it will fit.I bought it for my 2004 ZX10R but never used it.I quit riding all together because of my health.Not good with a camera but you can check my feedback at ebay.lesleybrownjr is my name.Ride safe......Les

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I am pretty sure the 08 ZX10 rad is the same size as the ZX14 rad. 08 10 rad is bigger than the Gen I and II rad I know for a fact.

:+1: Try to find a used 08 radiator. Maybe you find one in the parts section.

It took fire. Damn that sucks. Are electrics ok?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the help every one, I will look into the zx 14 rad, and PM the owner, I agree a smaller rad is not good, I wish I could find a 08 rad, the 07 one is too wide.
I little more backround, I have raced for 20 years, Local track Champ, I have never had this many issues, there is no insurance I just want to get back on the track.

one more bit of info I would like to pass on

my crash this weekend, oil filter seal blow out.

My theory is the HIFLOFILTRO oil filter pressure bi pass feature is not working on those filters.

Originally I thought it was my fault because the lock wire was broken, After thinking and talking about it, It was not turned out or loose when the oil seal blew out.

The seal is torn in two places about .5 of a inch away from each other. If the filter was loose is would have not torn the seal apart, and it would have leaked over time. Not explode.

The filter was not turned at all, it was in the exact place where I had is lock wired also, what are the chances that it would turn out to the exact full turns and then explode.

I would not be making such a big deal over it, if I didn’t personally know two other people that the same thing happened, Scott and Rod L I sent this email to them too.

I think it was a pressure thing because it happen right at the end of the straight away, and if I remember Scott’s was at a high speed part of the track too.

Is there someone at HIFLOFILTRO that I could contact ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there was a lot of small damage from the fire, body work, plastic chain guard, the plastic around the inside of the shock deformed, I think the shock is good. I will change the water hoses, just in case, only one wire was burnt to the oil sensor in the front of the motor the bike was lying on the right side when the fire was going, so the heat did not head up. the first fire extinguisher did not work, the 2nd one was there within a minute, about 3 minutes of burn time, not the end of the world just extra work, and with your guys help it really doesn't feel that bad, Thanks for Listening.

Myron

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

:+1: The 1st gen does run a bit hot and therefore the later generations were suppose to be fitted w/ a more efficient radiator. But if you stay moving I don't think it would be much of an issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I work at a kawi dealer , and I just looked up a rad. for 08 zx10 and checked the warehouse , kawi has them in the CA. & GA. warehouse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will check again with my local dealer for stock, a used rad would be a much better Price than a New if I could find that. At the moment I am still working on moding a 05 rad that I will borrow till I get a 08 one. just went and bought the hose conversions that I needed this afternoon, hope to weld the mounting tabs in the right place tomorrow. It may get me by for the time being on the race track. I will give this some deep thought, I have moded things before that has failed in a miserable way !!! I don't need another crash.
Still thinking of the zx 14 rad, but to buy it and still have to buy another 08 one to put the bike back to street doesn't make good use of my time and money I am just borrowing the 05 rad. I will test it before I get to the track to make sure overheating is not a issue.
Thanks
Myron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts