Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after spending a bit more time on my "new to me" '02 GSXR1000, I've determined that it is a VERY easy bike to wheelie. And by that I don't mean simply lofting the front wheel. I'm speaking of how comfortable it is coming all the way up, and how smooth it is at the balance point too. I've been able to get the ZX-10R on some sustained 10 sec or so wheelies and it just never feels at home, always rocking back and forth...twitching so to speak. Anyone else notice this?

Suspension geeks talk about front end feedback and the bike "talking to you." I get the same feeling with the GSXR 1K with regards to wheelies. I will say however that in the corners, it really is no comparison. I had no idea how much modern liter bikes had come in 6 years until riding these two bikes back to back. Wow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wheelies rule

So after spending a bit more time on my "new to me" '02 GSXR1000, I've determined that it is a VERY easy bike to wheelie. And by that I don't mean simply lofting the front wheel. I'm speaking of how comfortable it is coming all the way up, and how smooth it is at the balance point too. I've been able to get the ZX-10R on some sustained 10 sec or so wheelies and it just never feels at home, always rocking back and forth...twitching so to speak. Anyone else notice this?

Suspension geeks talk about front end feedback and the bike "talking to you." I get the same feeling with the GSXR 1K with regards to wheelies. I will say however that in the corners, it really is no comparison. I had no idea how much modern liter bikes had come in 6 years until riding these two bikes back to back. Wow.
I had an 03 gsxr 1000 as it was the best wheelie bike i ever had. The balance point is much lower than the newer bikes which is what made it feel so stable. It didn't ride anything like my 09-zx10, not near the power either-- but for wheelies -- i'd say the 02-04 gsxr's rock!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
maybe your not getting your bike high enough...i never rode the gixxer but so far on my 09 ZX10 wheelies are cake and just stay even no rocking of any kind....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I can agree with the 08 being questionable for wheelies. I think when at balance point on certain speed wheelies the rear suspension tends to unload, which gives it an uneasy feeling on the back wheel. I think this is because Kawasaki never intended the bike to wheelie (after all wheelies are slower).

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
master link
I had a new 01 gsxr 1K also, infact i bought the 1st one the dealership got in, that was my favorite bike of all time, even now. i put 45K trouble free miles on that bike. honestly i still wish i had it. i sold it to purchase my 05 10R. has yours ever had the valves checked? has the coolant ever been changed? a guy could put a few $100 in that bike and get a ton more miles out of it. nice find man

You went from this nice statement to that above??? Man at least the guy doesn't own a 09 r1 for real. Get off his back hes just here sharing his new bike and stating some shit about it and you jump on him like your going to kill him....Go back to the yamaha sites with all the :bs:

·
Registered
540 Posts
thats why the gsxr is the preffered stunt bike... normally its the 600 not the 1000 but I guess a gsxr is a gsxr. I used to ride a 750 and clutch ups were cake and riding them just as easy. I hardly wheelie my 10 but when I do it is not as easy to balance as the 750, so I agree with you. I didnt really buy the bike to stunt anyway so the 10 is great for me, specially in the twisties and track.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Yeah man, if I see any bike getting stunted down my way its either a f4i,954,gsxr600

My dad had 2 954's and those were the best bikes ever to wheelie. Compared them to my 3rd gen its night to day on balancing....

·
Registered
151 Posts
ive personally never wheelied anything that was as comfortable on one wheel as my first gen

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have never gotten comfortable with throwing a 10k + bike down the freeway like a bowling ball. if i wheelie i stick to the ole 50 in the dirt :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I had an 03 gsxr 1000 as it was the best wheelie bike i ever had. The balance point is much lower than the newer bikes which is what made it feel so stable. It didn't ride anything like my 09-zx10, not near the power either-- but for wheelies -- i'd say the 02-04 gsxr's rock!!
The GSXR1000's completely changed in 03.

I had both bikes and the are very similar as far as balance point height.

The only real difference to me is the throttle response. "My" 08 10 can be kinda touchy.

If you can reach a true balance point on one sportbike, you can find the balance point on another.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Curse you bastids! I don't have the wheelie gene. It comes up under power from time to time but it's nothing to get excited about.

I figure the way I ride a wheelie on my mountain bike, I have no business going mono on a streetbike.

I sure wish I could hoist one up for fun sometimes. My license is glad that I can't.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
that gixxer made it 45K b4 some squid got it, b sure to tear it up squid. btw i thought you were going to sell that 10R to trade down but you could afford two bikes?, wtf is up with that statement? http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81220
Sorry you're having a bad day =)

Yeah, I mentioned trading down as a possibility. Trying to buy a condo at some point. If it comes down to owning multiple motorcycles, or a condo at the right price, then I'll make that decision then. That's all still up in the air.

I am curious how you define a squid? I've worked as a mechanic, parts guy, sales, aftermarket supplier, and store manager in the motorcycle industry and have been riding for 17 years, and have put nearly 100k miles on over a dozen motorcycles both dirt and street. I actually managed the shop that dyno tested one of the first GSXR 1K's back in 2001 for Roadracing World for a comparison article they were doing between the '01 gsxr and the R1. My good friend/co-worker back in the 2001 is largely responsible for the existence of SuperMoto racing as it is today. Sold one of my (3) two stroke RD350's to the doctor/trainer of the Bostrom brothers. I could go on about how I helped contribute to the most well designed/executed dual sport conversion kit in the industry, or how mechanics used to call me for tech support concerning motorcycle electronics and how I walked them step by step through the diagnosis of electrical problems and troubleshooting. Sigh. Oh, and I've never been left behind in the turns either.

My question to you mr. jealousy is, "Why haven't you learned how to wheelie yet?" What's stoppin' ya? That has got to be why this thread is eatin' you alive =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts