Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update: I picked up 2 sets of prototypes today. I am trying to hook up with Chopz or J1000 or anyone else local to get them mounted up. Me working 2nd shift messes with the timing a bit though. Pics to follow. That is all.:thumbsup:

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Great to hear it Champ. I'm anxiously awaiting your sliders. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks for the Update!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK UPDATES. 4-19-08

The first set is a straight up mount behind the fairing. They are a little long would be about 1/2" shorter then these prototypes.

Pro's
1. Very solid mount. Includes a SSTL pass thru bolt and SSTL nut studs.

Con's
1. Gets in the way of your legs while sitting still if your tall and are up in the seat. Had my wife on there, she's 5'10" and did not have an issue. I got on, I'm 6'6" and you can see its an issue. But whie riding its not in the way of your legs.

Second set in next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok second set, I am trying like hell to keep the sliders in the opening of the mid fairing. Working on Brake Lever side NP. The Clutch Lever side not so pretty. I really dont see a way to do it without fairing modification. Attached are both sides. When you see the Clutch Lever side youll see there are no real points to mount except for the mount in the center of the picture and thats covered by the fairing. Check out the coolant take. Kawi is taking up ALL the room in there. Im not about to alter a vital component as that.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about No-cut sliders for 08ZX10R ? Any kits already available?
Not yet these are the current prototypes. And I doubt anyone will be ale to do no-cuts unless its like the 1st prototype pictured above or they reposition your coolant tank and Im not taking a chance on that.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What are the purpose of these other than to snap right off in an accident?

well for the other years these have been tested with great success lots of bikes down with minimized damage from this mans sliders

i have them on my 06 but i hope i never have to use them

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the purpose of these other than to snap right off in an accident?
Read text its a prototype and not production. About the only way to make No-cuts on the clutch lever side.

As far as purpose, they are frame sliders and no they will not snaap off. You only see the slider in the pic not the SSTL hardware underneath. But dont sweat it they are a one of a kind and will not be for sale. :) I will get them into the opening on the midfairing similar the the later pics above.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had frame sliders on my ZX6R and they snapped right off when I dumped it at low speeds. These sliders came with the bike so I have no idea what brand they were.

I believe OneSLOW10 had sliders on his YZF600 and those also snapped off in his accident. I could be wrong about that though.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Not yet these are the current prototypes. And I doubt anyone will be ale to do no-cuts unless its like the 1st prototype pictured above or they reposition your coolant tank and Im not taking a chance on that.
They made for 06ZX10R no cut , so why not for 08? Is there any major difference?

You need some special CNC machined triple clamp or whatever, but i think its possible.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
They made for 06ZX10R no cut , so why not for 08? Is there any major difference?

You need some special CNC machined triple clamp or whatever, but i think its possible.
:idea: I would think that he knows a little more about it than you do. The fairing on the '06 is completely different than the '08.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Who do you think was the first to have the no cuts? ME.

Yes I do make them no cut for 2004/05 and 2006/07 But if you ever look at a 2008 Clutch lever side you will see no exposed bolt locations to mount to without modification to the fairing. Kawi did a good job of utilizing all the space inside the mid fairing to pack in the coolant tank. Then they did a good job on wrapping the mid fairiang around said tank. There is a good 10mm bolt location that could be used if ya wann move the coolant return pipe, else the head of any bolt would rub on it and I doubt you wanna spring a coolant leak.

At this point I have given up the notion of no cuts on the Clutch lever side. It will still be no cut on the brake lever side though. If you've seen Older Guy's pics of the Shoguns, mine will mount in the same spot but you wont need to drill such a large hole. The slider will be on a post with only the post going thru the fairing. Its the only mounting point on that side without major modifications. I beleive the R&G kits are including a new coolant bottle in order to get access to a diferent mounting point. But they are still cutting the fairing I beleive. Could be wrong havent seen pics yet.

·
Banned
808 Posts
:idea: I would think that he knows a little more about it than you do. The fairing on the '06 is completely different than the '08.
Thanks for thorough explanation.

P.S. I have seen many people with their knowledge and their truths.

We shall see who comes up with what.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Who do you think was the first to have the no cuts? ME.

Yes I do make them no cut for 2004/05 and 2006/07 But if you ever look at a 2008 Clutch lever side you will see no exposed bolt locations to mount to without modification to the fairing. Kawi did a good job of utilizing all the space inside the mid fairing to pack in the coolant tank. Then they did a good job on wrapping the mid fairiang around said tank. There is a good 10mm bolt location that could be used if ya wann move the coolant return pipe, else the head of any bolt would rub on it and I doubt you wanna spring a coolant leak.

At this point I have given up the notion of no cuts on the Clutch lever side. It will still be no cut on the brake lever side though. If you've seen Older Guy's pics of the Shoguns, mine will mount in the same spot but you wont need to drill such a large hole. The slider will be on a post with only the post going thru the fairing. Its the only mounting point on that side without major modifications. I beleive the R&G kits are including a new coolant bottle in order to get access to a diferent mounting point. But they are still cutting the fairing I beleive. Could be wrong havent seen pics yet.

I don't know you, nor what are you thinking or doing, thats why I as questions :hello:

I understand all this situation, but i'm not going to cut plastics. Yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts