Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2008 is a year and a half old and has 3100 miles on it. i don't get to ride it that much due to my work schedule but try and run a tank of gas through it every time i am at home about once every 2 months. it has now started running rough and even missing and the FI light is coming on some. i drained all the fuel and checked for water, checked all wiring, plugs and connectors, changed the spark plugs and even pulled off the power commander just in case it was causing the problem. i have yet to have figured it out. anyone got any ideas? thanks 4 the help!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
What is not stock on the bike now? If you still have the stock exhaust I would verify the valve is opening. When you drained the fuel and removed the PC, maybe a harness isn't plugged in all the way. Fuel filter dirty? Maybe the fuel pick up assembly is clogged too. Plugs dirty from trying to start it?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Check anything and everything.. A freind of mine went to start his bike up one monday morning to go to work and a mouse had moved into his Air Box over the weekend. Had the whole family and a TON of shit in there also.. The Bike ran like shit of course until he finally found the problem hours later..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bike has full exhaust and pcIII. it was running bad before i drained the fuel and i changed the plugs also trying to fix it. sometimes it will run fine but more than not it is running bad. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Check anything and everything.. A freind of mine went to start his bike up one monday morning to go to work and a mouse had moved into his Air Box over the weekend. Had the whole family and a TON of shit in there also.. The Bike ran like shit of course until he finally found the problem hours later..
Been there seen that. I buddy of mine cranked over his old chevy pick-up one day only to hear some scary noises under the hood. turns out there was a liter of kittens under the hood (poor lil' cats). That was one nasty clean up! :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
When it is running rough is it idle or coming off idle it sputters and dies? When did it first do it? Are the secondary flies removed? If not, prop the tank up and turn the key to the run position and see if the servo cycles the flies. Take the seat off and see it the servo there cycles too. If both seem to go their full range of motion on self-diagnostic checks(something else is triggering the FI light), then it is time to pull the codes. Do a search on this site for instructions on how to pull diagnostic codes.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
thats what I'm saying, I had the same problem with mine and it was the servo motor under the seat and my alarm system draining my battery, basically I charged the battery and got a replacement servo to fix my fI light from coming on, I'll say this though, get on it one day, fire it up and put a full tank in it and go ride that bike full on like you were at a track, maybe not in the city, but you wont feel the full power of this bike intell it is broke in all the way. Heck my powerband felt stronger after 4500 miles then any other time. Get a new map and get it tuned as well. Night to day then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update! took bike to dealer to have scanned for code. the code is a 54 which is #4 cyl coil fault. $500 later my bike is still running bad and the dealer has no idea what is wrong with it and the warranty has been out since february! i really can't afford for them to keep changing parts at my expense! anyone have any ideas on what might cause the code 54? i think it is a misfire throwing the coil fault and not a bad coil or anything. the dealer replaced the coil and the brand new plugs i had just installed and that is as far as they got! H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
That code means there is an electrical problem involving that coil. The computer has no way of knowing if there is anything wrong beyond the electrical circuit (e.g. a misfire).

Check the wiring harness and connectors.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
At this point, I would remove the PCIII and check all wiring harnesses. When you drained the fuel did any of the harnesses under the tank get pinched? I know almost everything directly under the tank is the FI harnesses but below the tank's pivot point are the other harnesses. Do you have anyone else near you that you could swap an ECU with to see if the problem still exists? Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ive had mice eat up wiring that i later had to repair. Check everything as far as wiring before you keep buying parts just my .02cents

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have already checked all harnesses, connectors and grounds! removed the pcIII and have changed spark plugs! nothing has made any difference at all!

·
5,932 Posts
wow, after reading this thread, truthfully I would of said what everyone else said...Id double check everything once again starting with wiring and going from there, maybe jump out to a shop and throw it up on a dyno and see what some ratios are on there...Theres a lot more a dyno can look at than just hp/torque ect., along the lines I say stop buying parts for it cause it sounds to me to be nothing along the lines of engine/trans. but more electrical

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I attach the coil test from the service manual. Follow the steps exactly. You will need a multimeter. If everything is ok it looks like you will need an ECU. You don't have 2 years warranty over there? If you need any help let me know.

Attachments

·
5,932 Posts
my bike only came with a 1 year warranty but soon after I got the bike I made it 5 years so I'm good

1 - 20 of 39 Posts