Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.

have a oil leak.

where the headers go into the block/head whatever.

right under each one there is a litte little hole. sorta looks like a screw hole but not sure.

this is.....? i belive oil is comming from there. i have to clean my engine off and see.

i have taken plastics off but dark do not have time to do rest. will have to get to it tomm. but before i tackle it i would like to know what those holes are?

i put a lil to much oil in there. when it's level it goes like 3/4th of the window. could it be letting the excess oil out?

if not. i have not clue.

or should little screws be in there?

·
Registered
377 Posts
oh man, fuck, I thought I was back on the Honda forums.

Window? Fuck that, real bikes have dip sticks!

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
I can venture only a guess.

Back in 1989 I bought the first ZX7 model. It had the same holes you describe under the exhaust ports. The purpose of those holes were to allow any moisture that got into the spark plug well to drain out. Thus they were drain holes.

Can't say I have seen these same drain holes on a 10R, but I have not looked either. I cant see them with the pipes and rad and bodywork on.

But thats my guess.

I originally bought that ZX7 to hibernate it. I removed the spark plugs to put a little oil into the cylinders but missed the hole and oil came weeping out those 4 holes.

Assuming those are weep holes, then something is getting into the spark plug well allowing it to seep out.

Im sure someone has a head off or has seen this. :dontknow:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bet that is what it is

i had a sprak plug break off and i had to beat it out. i might have scared up the wall a little.

·
Registered
319 Posts
oh man, fuck, I thought I was back on the Honda forums.

Window? Fuck that, real bikes have dip sticks!

No buddy, I think you got it wrong!!!! Those are not dip sticks, they are dip s#$%@, usually riding them.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
I betcha the little seal around the sparkplug hole (between the valve cover and the head) is not seated properly or you damaged it.

Oil leaks past the little seal, into the sparkplug hole, and out that drain hole.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
sound like its coming from the weep hole, i had it coming out the same holes on my 04.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
yep its a drain hole. if there is oil coming out the oil well seals are leaking which are the round seals that go over the spark plug hole when you take the valve cover off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i just went through that ordeal it was bad it turned out my valve cover was warped i went through about 8 of the spark plug orings on the valve cover i thought i had duds. Also dont use silicon on them if they still leak its the valve cover

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
i just went through that ordeal it was bad it turned out my valve cover was warped i went through about 8 of the spark plug orings on the valve cover i thought i had duds. Also dont use silicon on them if they still leak its the valve cover
:+1:

·
Registered
447 Posts
i think beating on it might have done it, beating on a precise mechanical engine is usually going to end bad. Not that it was wrong you might have needed to do it to get the plug out but I would get it checked out or fix that seal yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the problem was when we were beating the shit out of the coil pack to break it up. the flat head went into the side wall just a little. causing oil to drip into the spark plug hole.

here was the malfuncion on cyl 1.

so i got some HIGH TEMP RTV... and put it on my finger and put a small coat around the inside of the spark plug hole. let it dry then i did it again to make sure no oil is getting past it.

put coil back in. did 1,2,3 for about 10 mins on jack stands. no oil came out the hole.

so far holding up. i have not put road pressure on it yet.

·
Registered
677 Posts
the problem was when we were beating the shit out of the coil pack to break it up. the flat head went into the side wall just a little. causing oil to drip into the spark plug hole.

so i got some HIGH TEMP RTV... and put it on my finger and put a small coat around the inside of the spark plug hole. let it dry then i did it again to make sure no oil is getting past it.

put coil back in. did 1,2,3 for about 10 mins on jack stands. no oil came out the hole.

so far holding up. i have not put road pressure on it yet.
Your not saying that you poked a hole in the head are you?:?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Damn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts