Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had this bike since new. 14,000 miles
second battery yada yada yada.

i have never had an issue with the bike other than random stalls that seem to plague the gen 3's well at least mine.

at first i thought that the battery went flat again, how ever i keep the battery out of the bike while i was on deployment and on a trickle charger.
bike stored inside and prepped for 10-12 months of storage.

any way, came back in march, and have riding 3-4 times a weeks.
so when it went dead i got the battery charged and then started it.

it sat right at 12.4 and revs did not bring the voltage higher, only lower by .05-.1 volts

the recall for the voltage regulator was done over a year ago.

where should i start? could the stator be bad?

i did this job on an old f3 Honda i had years ago. and it was a pain in the ass.

i guess I'm just ranting, i don't want to spend money on this thing right now, the BMW as already broken my wallet this month.

also i have yet to see any one with a charging issue on the gen 3's so am i the first?.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuck that shit, i will just keep charging it to got to work and back

aint nobody got time for that

na but really if that's the case this sucks. any one have P/N and tools required?
thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,502 Posts
fuck that shit, i will just keep charging it to got to work and back

aint nobody got time for that

na but really if that's the case this sucks. any one have P/N and tools required?
thanks
Tools required? No special tools to get the stator or rectifier out. 10 and 12mm socket for most of the bolts. You could change either in about 30mins no problem. Finding out which part is bad is a little harder. You need a voltmeter for that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
My stator and rec went at the same time with just over 11000 kms (7000 miles). It had burnt out 3 winding. If you pull the stator cover it will leak a little oil but were talking ounces. Just cover the floor.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would start with the stator as well if you have had the rectifier recalled..however...if funds arent a probablem, I might do them both at the same time because if it is your rectifier...you dont want to hurt a brand new stator.

P.S. my Gen3 (2008) never stalls after started....once in a while on a cold start it will start up and then stall immediately with no blip of throttle (due to low idle) but even then...thats rare and it ALWAYS starts on the second try no problem.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
Yea, I replaced both on my gen 3 (or rather the shop did under warranty)
Point is, they died :)

+1 that you should just replace both while you are at it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had the same problem two months ago Dealership did recall on regulator. Bought a new stator and bought a new battery to cure the problems with my bike.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What's up with people suggesting to replace two things at once, not knowing what the actual problem is? I guess if you're not smart enough to isolate the problem and you have money to waste, why not...???

OP, if you already did the recall, and bike is not holding a charge, it's probably going tobe your stator. Also, if you keep charging and discharging your battery, it's going to kill it if it's not already shot...pull the stator cover (big clutch side engine case) and visually inspect, it may be obvious that it's the stator and you have burnt coils, and the service manual will walk you through how to check it, it's very easy, so is the replacement procedure...if you're low on funds, go to RMSTATOR.COM they will take care of you and have a few different options, or you can find one here if you're lucky for a real nice price, otherwise go with a Ricks stator, around $150...either way take car of it asap...my stator went bad, I tried what you said and just charged it everyday till I could buy the new one, and.ended up with a dead bike and my wife had to hook up the trailer by herself and come get me...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine did the same thing two weekends ago, 12.40 at Idle ,nothing more with a rev,(went down) Stator was burnt, put a new one and Bam 14.54/58 on the road again only thing that really sucked was I was 250 km's away from home!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...85538448210313_599944372_n.jpg&size=1536,2048 This was my second one the stock one went at 67.000km's and the aftermarket one lasted 92.000 km's my regulator/rectifier was changed on recall at 80.000 km's.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
so i have had this bike since new. 14,000 miles
second battery yada yada yada.

i have never had an issue with the bike other than random stalls that seem to plague the gen 3's well at least mine.

at first i thought that the battery went flat again, how ever i keep the battery out of the bike while i was on deployment and on a trickle charger.
bike stored inside and prepped for 10-12 months of storage.

any way, came back in march, and have riding 3-4 times a weeks.
so when it went dead i got the battery charged and then started it.

it sat right at 12.4 and revs did not bring the voltage higher, only lower by .05-.1 volts

the recall for the voltage regulator was done over a year ago.

where should i start? could the stator be bad?

i did this job on an old f3 Honda i had years ago. and it was a pain in the ass.

i guess I'm just ranting, i don't want to spend money on this thing right now, the BMW as already broken my wallet this month.

also i have yet to see any one with a charging issue on the gen 3's so am i the first?.
Rectifier is free from dealer and they will install for free.

Stator can be visually inspected to see if it's turning brown/burnt.

Electrical; I always by oem. You can get them for under $200 dollars.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine did the same thing two weekends ago, 12.40 at Idle ,nothing more with a rev,(went down) Stator was burnt, put a new one and Bam 14.54/58 on the road again only thing that really sucked was I was 250 km's away from home!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...85538448210313_599944372_n.jpg&size=1536,2048 This was my second one the stock one went at 67.000km's and the aftermarket one lasted 92.000 km's my regulator/rectifier was changed on recall at 80.000 km's.
Facebook link no worky? :dontknow:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Throw some HEET and injector cleaner in there. Did you store it with fuel stabilizer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts