Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still breaking my '08 in with just under 200 miles. The coolant temp seemed pretty low at 137 degrees F yesterday with an ambient air temp of 40 degrees F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck open? I noticed my ZX-14 runs low in these kind of temps as well (1 bar above C) so it may just be a Kawasaki thing. My CBR was running right on 180 yesterday, same conditions.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My 08 does about the same. When I rode it to work a couple weeks ago the temps were similar and about 140 cruising and 150 was about the highest I saw.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks, that's what I kinda figured, she's cold blooded.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It is the ambient air temp (40) that prevent heat build up. Break in temps generally run a little higher than norm, but since you are operating in the cold you should expect lower readings. The CBR may have an older cooling system not operating as efficiently as your new 10.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i got the 09 model and u will be wishing that u had those type of temperature when the ambient temperature gets higher trust me for watever reason the 08-09 models run hotter than the first gen and second gen

·
Registered
119 Posts
i got the 09 model and u will be wishing that u had those type of temperature when the ambient temperature gets higher trust me for watever reason the 08-09 models run hotter than the first gen and second gen
Same for me. My 08 gets close to its limit temperature limit when hot and in traffic. I generally run cooler on the track. would be nice if it had a better fan. I have got to 105 degress C on a 40 degree C day when stuck in traffic. Warning lights come on at 110 degrees C.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
i've never had a warning light come up on mine just the fan. She cools down pretty quick when she gets moving

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^Thats the ram air feeding the bike, mine cools off with in the first 10 seconds haha, but I rode mine to work tonight and its 39 degrees out and my bike cruised at 125-130 degrees the hole way to work....

I live in south Florida and in the hell of summer this past year with my 09 the hottest my bike got was 209-211 degrees and then I did the wet wetter stuff and I don't think it saw past 200 even at a stop light in 95 degree weather....My honda's always ran hot over 216+ like no tomorrow...Kinda strange you guys are all saying your bikes run hot....

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm still breaking my '08 in with just under 200 miles. The coolant temp seemed pretty low at 137 degrees F yesterday with an ambient air temp of 40 degrees F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck open? I noticed my ZX-14 runs low in these kind of temps as well (1 bar above C) so it may just be a Kawasaki thing. My CBR was running right on 180 yesterday, same conditions.
Wait till summer time when the ambient temps go up... so will the temp on the 10 escpecially when you get in stop and go traffic... you'll see 180 F more often then you want... and then some...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^Thats the ram air feeding the bike, mine cools off with in the first 10 seconds haha, but I rode mine to work tonight and its 39 degrees out and my bike cruised at 125-130 degrees the hole way to work....

I live in south Florida and in the hell of summer this past year with my 09 the hottest my bike got was 209-211 degrees and then I did the wet wetter stuff and I don't think it saw past 200 even at a stop light in 95 degree weather....My honda's always ran hot over 216+ like no tomorrow...Kinda strange you guys are all saying your bikes run hot....
Even on a 40 degree day my CBR hits 215 degrees F if you get caught in traffic.:dontknow: They definitely run hot but it sounds like the ZX-10 does the same once the ambient temps come up. The difference is the Honda runs dead on 180 hot or cold once you're moving which tells me it is regulating well. Again, I think it's a Kawasaki thing cause my 14 does the same thing as the 10, I can't get it to move off the lowest bar on a cold day.

Thanks for all the good input folks, I'm going to just ride it and not worry about it.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Seriously, don't sweat it. 220+ is where I would start worrying, if then. My stunt bike routinely stays around 200 in the parking lots, and about 220 in the summer... I have even heard of guys reaching the point where their temp just flashed "HOT" (can't remember if that was Kawi or Honda). Unless it happens when you're romping on it or cruising at speed then your cooling system is up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old thread but I thought I'd update now that it's hot out and I have my 10R well broken in. My bike still runs pretty cool even in summer temps, between 168 and 174 F when cruising at 80, Stopped in traffic I have hit 202 F but I consider that fairly low for 100+ F ambient temps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dang thats nuts. My buddies 04 CBR 600 runs a constant 230 degrees in any weather... New thermostat and coolant too.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang thats nuts. My buddies 04 CBR 600 runs a constant 230 degrees in any weather... New thermostat and coolant too.
600s do tend to run a bit warm, I noticed this with my 6R.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts