Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I road race a 2008 ZX10 and I am having a hell of a time with my clutch grabbing off the start. It does not slip out well when I am launching the bike. I know this is a issue with bikes that have had the anti judder springs removed, but my clutch is bone stock.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any idea of where to start looking?

BTW. I have raced a gen 1 zx10r for a couple of years and had the best launches of my career. I have also been roadracing for 7 years and done a little drag racing. So I do have a good feel for what a "normal" clutch should feel like.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I noticed my 3rd gen did that sometimes too... I have no idea what caused it, it was rogue. Some launches were smooth and some it felt like I literally just dumped it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In reading the race manual, it seems that there is a option to use the 04-05 standard spring plate assembly (Judder spring) This may be what I am looking for. My first gen launches like a dream, and if the 3rd gen would do the same, it would make my like easier.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In reading the race manual, it seems that there is a option to use the 04-05 standard spring plate assembly (Judder spring) This may be what I am looking for. My first gen launches like a dream, and if the 3rd gen would do the same, it would make my like easier.

yes ive done this mod to an 08 already and it worked like a dream

·
Registered
492 Posts
It made for a better race. Watching U wiggle your way through to 2nd.

Judder spring. I just looked at a diagram of a 05 clutch. It looks the same as a 08. What is a Judder spring?

·
Registered
772 Posts
[/COLOR]

It made for a better race. Watching U wiggle your way through to 2nd.

Judder spring. I just looked at a diagram of a 05 clutch. It looks the same as a 08. What is a Judder spring?
you didnt look close enough then ,the 04-05 clutch has that thick steel in the back...i forget the name of it but you run the same fibers and swap steels and take out the 2 round deals out of the 08 thats in the rear of the clutch

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^^ Ahhh. By golly your right. I had to take a 2nd look. That should be a cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did it tonight. I had to replace a few of the steels with some from my 05. The judder (or spring plate ass.) is over 2mm thicker than stock. In order to get the proper stack height I needed to make the steels thinner to make up for that 2mm.

Even with the steels that I had I am still .4mm thicker than the race manual says but the stock pack was .8mm thicker so I think I will be OK.

Has anyone else done this as per the Race manual?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Did you need to hake adjustments to stack height as well?

all the 08-09 steels are 2.9 and the 04-05 are 2.7 i believe.i just swapped all the steels from the gen 1 to the gen 3 to correct the stack height,i run 3mm spacers on my springs also so i dont have to worry about it slipping

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too have essentially put a 05 clutch into the 08-10. I am running the frictions from the 08 and the steels from the 05.

I will be testing it over the next 2 days on the track

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm sure I know the answer to this question but will the stack height be way to much to use the judder plate with the '08 steels. I will just be running it at the strip.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm sure I know the answer to this question but will the stack height be way to much to use the judder plate with the '08 steels. I will just be running it at the strip.
NO ! god bless people this is the whole point of this mod is to get rid of those 2 plates.....that is what creates the chatter effect your feeling.replace all the steels in your 08 with steels from an 04-05 and THATS IT.ive done it,tested it,drag raced it and installed it...it works flawless.end of story:deadhorse

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Interesting....the only thing I never replaced is the judder springs in my 1st Gen.....I have been having problems getting the adjustment right for strip and now Street :badteeth:

today though I did a quick adjustment again and seems I hit a sweet spot...the last weeks my bike has been feeling slow but today it felt like a monster just like new on the streets....can't wait to hit the strip again to see if it's true :dontknow:....these clutches can be touchy with adjustment is all I am saying....at least for me I run CycleConcepts clutch pak and have another Clutch Pak on the way OEM with only 200miles on them NO racing so may replace that judder spring yet. :wink: ....but I know what the OP is talking about on the first Gen for WHEN it's right the clutch slipping like it's suppose too is a beautiful thing. :wink::eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
NO ! god bless people this is the whole point of this mod is to get rid of those 2 plates.....that is what creates the chatter effect your feeling.replace all the steels in your 08 with steels from an 04-05 and THATS IT.ive done it,tested it,drag raced it and installed it...it works flawless.end of story:deadhorse
I get what your saying, I was just talking about keeping the remaining '08 steels after ditching the 2 plates. I guess I'll be looking around for a good cheap 1st gen clutch pack now......Thanks for the info:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You will need the steels from the 05. Even with them the stack was .4mm taller than recommended in the race manual. I have 4 of the 2.3mm plates on order to get the perfect stack height.

The stack height is important for both the friction (as not to slip) and for the slipper to work.

If it is too high the slipper will actually disengage less and thus lock up the rear sooner on rapid downshifts under hard braking.

I am sure the drag race guys care little about this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts