Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I just bought my zx10r a few days ago and I noticed right away the speedometer wasn't moving (stuck at 0).

The odometer didn't move either, but everything else worked (low fuel indicator, RPMs, temperature, etc)

I am not at all moto-savy. I can do the basics and that's the extent of my skills. Rather than risk messing things up further, I decided to ask at the forum and see if maybe one of you guys can help. I checked olld thread on the subject, but since I don't have any history with the bike myself, it's harder to go off of one of those threads.

Really appreciate any help and if I missed any details please let me know and hopefully I can get everything working :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Welcome to the party!

It's most likely the speed sensor that is faulty. It's located behind the front sprocket cover, above the front sprocket. It's awkward to get to, but easy enough to change. There's an electrical connector with 3 wires running to it and 1 bolt holding it into the crankcase.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
And I say that, assuming you don't have a speedohealer or speedoDRD device hooked up to the bike that has failed. That could also be the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible to get a picture of what that looks like? I am not 100% sure of what it is I'm looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind I found what you said lol

Let's see if I have the proper tools to take it off. I don't normally work on stuff at home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any advice on how to pull out that speed sensor?

Limited room and nig hands arent helping :/

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Any advice on how to pull out that speed sensor?
It's only held in with the one bolt and an o-ring seal. It doesn't take much force at all. The connector is a right angle to the actual sensor body and it lifts straight up out of the hole. So try wiggling it side to side as you lift up on the connector part towards the fuel tank.

Do you have the service manual? You need to download that so you can test the sensor. You can test it without removing it. If the sensor isn't bad, and you don't have a correction device on the bike that is bad, then the instrument cluster is the problem. Normally if the sensor goes bad, it throws an FI code. But I had a flaky speed sensor on my Gen 3 that was intermittent and didn't throw any error codes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Put it in gear.

PROBLEM SOLVED~!!!

Sorry...I just had to say that.

I'm in your area of SoCal. Hit me up if you wanna ride. I'll show you where 1st gear is....
:crackup:

Hey guys, so I just bought my zx10r a few days ago and I noticed right away the speedometer wasn't moving (stuck at 0).

The odometer didn't move either, but everything else worked (low fuel indicator, RPMs, temperature, etc)

I am not at all moto-savy. I can do the basics and that's the extent of my skills. Rather than risk messing things up further, I decided to ask at the forum and see if maybe one of you guys can help. I checked olld thread on the subject, but since I don't have any history with the bike myself, it's harder to go off of one of those threads.

Really appreciate any help and if I missed any details please let me know and hopefully I can get everything working :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ouch lol

I managed to get it working. I think it must have been loose or something. Id be down to ride sometime. I stay out in the LA area what about you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts