Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening people. As you may already know the 2nd gen has awful brakes and decided to buy a set of the nissins from a 07 zx14 off of ebay...

From what I could find these these are a direct bolt on and wanted to know If i could use my stock master cylinder with these calipers and the seller also included Stainless steel brake lines with them and I could use them as well.. Pretty sure I can right? Also wanted to make sure that there's no need for spacers or any of that sort and also wanted to know from the people who did this mod how much the improvement was compared to the stock Tokico's

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did that exact upgrade on my Gen 1, swapped the Tokico's for a set of Nissin's from a ZX14 (can't remember the year, but I think they're all the same, and no need for spacers). The braking performance was like night and day. Gone were the spongy feeling brakes that would fade quite quickly if I did a trackday, definitely worth doing. My bike already had braided brake lines so I re-used them when I installed the Nissin's, they fit just fine. I ran with the stock master cylinder for a while without any issues, but then bought a radial master cyclinder from a later model ZX-6R. To be honest it didn't make a huge amount of difference, not like changing the calipers.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
I ran the ZX-14 Nissins on my Gen 2. They are worth the upgrade!!! Bolt the calipers on as-is, nothing else needed. Use the stock Gen 2 MC. The MC is the same for all ZX-14s, ZX-6Rs, and the ZX-10R that use those calipers. Swapping that will put the same thing back on the bike.

The stainless lines are iffy. They will bolt up just fine, that's not the issue. The issue is the length. You'll need to make sure that the length of the lines provided will be long enough, not only to reach the caliper, but to allow the forks to fully extend without being constrained by the brake lines. That is dangerous! You can break the lines while riding as the forks move and you'll have no brakes! The stock lines you have on the Gen 2 are perfect. The Nissins have the banjo bolt above the pistons while the Tokicos have it centered between them. Using the stock Gen 2 lines will be longer than needed once bolted to the Nissins. Measure the length of the stainless lines you have to be sure they are as long as the lines you have. They should be OK, but you need to be sure first!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input guys. I'll be installing these calipers next weekend. Can't wait to see the difference

1 - 4 of 4 Posts