Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ZX-10R Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Christmas Eve I arrived home from work, cleaned the Ninja (this may have caused the problem) before being covered up for the long weekend before going back to work. went to go to work this morning and she wouldn't fire up AT ALL! tried bump starting, nothing... ended up taking her apart to check connections and all were bone dry with no corrosion. fuel pump primed etc... no other weird sounds. battery is fine. Really do not know what to do, any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks, Max :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
OK not knowing what mods you have on the bike or if you have or someone else has done any work on her recently, is there a FI warning flashing on the clock? lets for now presume it's a safety device, side stand switch maybe? Its not water in the fuel as it would have started with the fuel already in the lines then chugged out. Its not bad or lack of servicing as performance would have noticeably degenerated over time. Where are you in UK.

·
Registered
2007 ZX-10R Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its pretty stock tbf, other than a PC III. Hmm yes, there was an FI light a couple weeks back but it went after a couple days so i presumed the issue had subsided. There was no sign of power loss either. Im in south east essex. You?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Its pretty stock tbf, other than a PC III. Hmm yes, there was an FI light a couple weeks back but it went after a couple days so i presumed the issue had subsided. There was no sign of power loss either. Im in south east essex. You?
If you were near me (Bristol) it would have been possible to pop over. So look at side stand switch make sure it is not loose or anything stopping it popping in when stand is up, then trace wire back up and under the fairing tank, disconnect the plug and bridge the harness side and see if that clears the fault? If not we can move onto other usual issues that prevent the bike from firing.

·
Registered
2007 ZX-10R Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just changed the spark plugs thinking it might be that but still nothing... i really have no clue right now

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK not knowing what mods you have on the bike or if you have or someone else has done any work on her recently, is there a FI warning flashing on the clock? lets for now presume it's a safety device, side stand switch maybe? Its not water in the fuel as it would have started with the fuel already in the lines then chugged out. Its not bad or lack of servicing as performance would have noticeably degenerated over time. Where are you in UK.
Have you checked to see if your getting spark?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So Christmas Eve I arrived home from work, cleaned the Ninja (this may have caused the problem) before being covered up for the long weekend before going back to work. went to go to work this morning and she wouldn't fire up AT ALL! tried bump starting, nothing... ended up taking her apart to check connections and all were bone dry with no corrosion. fuel pump primed etc... no other weird sounds. battery is fine. Really do not know what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Tip over sensor

·
Registered
71 Posts
maybe......

* blocked fuel line/tank?
*battery rooted?

i had a combination of both. when i drained the tank into a large kitchen bin with a hose pushed to the bottom, lots of rusty crap from the tank came out. Got it professionally cleaned and lined. Got it all ready to start and battery was rooted.
try draining the tank, eliminated the rusty/ sediment in tank possibilities. cost you nothing, easy to do.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,367 Posts
Sounds like you're just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something might stick and you get lucky. That's not a good way to look into the cause of any problem. Look at the symptoms to narrow down what the actual problem is first. Like, why try bump-starting it if the starter motor is turning the engine over already? They do the same thing and if one doesn't work, neither will the other. Not sure why you changed out the spark plugs. If they were sparking the night before just fine and the next morning they weren't, then the plugs aren't the problem and it would be more related to an ignition coil, not all 4 plugs. The overflow pipe from the tank is for fuel spillage and has nothing to do with the motor running. You could plug that hose or remove it all together and it won't affect the engine running. The vent line is different, but you can run it with the fuel cap open to resolve that if were an issue.

So, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Ran fine one day and then overnight it won't start. The most likely thing that has changed is simplest. Check the sidestand safety switch. Since you put the sidestand down to park it, it is the only thing that really changed. But that should prevent the starter motor from operating at all. Just like the clutch safety switch. It might also be the fuel pump that is failed now and not providing the fuel pressure needed to run. Could also be the tip-over/vehicle down sensor. That typically causes the low oil pressure/FI warning light to flash when cranking the motor though. Dry, non-corroded connections doesn't mean anything. You have to check that the connections are touching each other correctly from one end to the other.

You shouldn't go shotgunning parts at this since changing so much can lead to other problems that you're not trying to solve. Start with the smaller, most likely fixes before moving on to the harder, less likely causes. The first step is to verify the safety switches are correct and not an issue. The next step is to verify the fuel pressure to the fuel rail and injectors. You can ignore everything else until you verified those things work properly.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Disconnect the the pc3 and have it back to stock. If it fires up then it's because you've got water through the pc3 without covering it.

If this is the case send it off to dyno they won't be able to fix it but they will trade it for a pc5 for around £276.

If it doesn't fire up, well good news its not your pc3.

Pm your number and I'll give you a call :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Disconnect the the pc3 and have it back to stock. If it fires up then it's because you've got water through the pc3 without covering it.

If this is the case send it off to dyno they won't be able to fix it but they will trade it for a pc5 for around £276.

Or just check your fuse box ign=ignition. Imagine if it was the kill switch lol

·
Registered
2007 ZX-10R Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So i took it to my local mechanic and it was indeed the PC3 🙄 good news i wont be needing new spark plugs for another 20k 😂 gonna get a PC5 at somepoint and have it mapped, tbf it acrually runs better without the PC3... maybe previous owner had a shit map on it or tried to play with it himself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts