Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a bike right now. I'm curious to know if I can use a 2004-2005 frame with a 2006-2007 engine, bodywork, swingarm, etc. I know there's a model switch in there but just looking a side by side comps it aprears to about the same mounting points. As per my previous post I have a pile of my friends race bike take off parts and it's all 2007 stuff.

Anyone with a track bike or street tried this. The reason I'm asking I may for my bike build do a 2005 frame since there seems to more of an abondence of them.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No, 2 different frames, just very similar that's all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So has anyone ever tried to swap newer 2006-2007 engine, swing arm, front end, and plastics onto an older 2004-2005 frame? Or at least newer plastics and other stuff since I don't have an engine yet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2nd gen swingarm is quite a bit shorter than the 1st gen, right? So much so that I think the match up would be disastrous.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2nd gen swingarm is quite a bit shorter than the 1st gen, right? So much so that I think the match up would be disastrous.
Kinda depends on what you expect for handling. SWB is quick side to side, but then again at 150+ a quick side to side means HI SIDE. Might be fun around town or technical tracks.:dontknow:

PM Garth, I'm sure he has an idea of which direction to go.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Engine is a no-go, everything else is possible with some fab. There are here 1st gens with 2nd gen swingarms.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the 2006 zx10r shock is offset for the exhaust so swapping swingarms cannot be done. the 2006 shock is about 3 inches left of center, along with its frame mounting point. the 04 is right in the middle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you saying the neck to swingarm pivot are at diffrent lengths between the 2005 and 2006? What makes them use a different length swing arm?

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK i just put an 05 and an 06 zx10r swingarms side by side. the shock mounting points are the same. my mistake. they only difference is that the 04-05 swingarm is about 1 inch longer. they look like they will be interchangeable, but the wheel will be about an inch closer if you put the 06 swingarm on an 04, most of which you could take up with the chain adjusters,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So then whats different about the frame or engine motor mounts. Are the engines different in their mounting or is it just the use of an 04-05 motor mount for an 06-07?

Just trying to think a little outside the box here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
well i have both bikes sitting in the garage. the 2004 and 2006 motor mounts are in different locations. the top removable mounts look basically the same. but the distance between the long engine mount bolt that goes threw the frame to the other side, to the 4 inch long bolts that mount to the bottom of the head are about 1 inch further forward on the 2006. you would have to make something to make it work. Will not bolt right up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The engine does not swap the forward plastics don't either unless you are handy with fiberglass. the subframe is a direct swap ( I have checked) and that is the only way to run the other tail fairing. the swingarm swaps but does cause a problem with the headers <--Headers need some mod to swap.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts