Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've decided its time to sort all the oil leaks on my gen 2 zx10r. It is leaking from:

1) the valve cover gasket - done this before but I've seen people suggest adding additional silicone gasket and/or adding washers on top of the cover because the bolts bottom out early - can anyone comment on this? How thick should these washers be?

2) the starter cover - I am afraid I need to replace the whole cover here. At first I thought it was leaking from one of those ports, so I replaced the o-ring. Upon further inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that is seeping oil. I put some talc powder on it after cleaning it and started the bike and oil residue started forming underneath the seal immediately. I have no idea how this happened because I've never dropped or crashed this bike. This leak is slow, but it's going to bother me. Should I try to fix it somehow or snag a used cover off ebay?

Here is a picture right after starting the bike (notice the oil seeping from what looks like a crack):

This picture is after a few minutes:

3) potentially the clutch cover - oil residue on top of the clutch cover right in the area where the 2 surfaces mate. Is it possible oil from the valve cover made its way all the way down here? I cleaned/degreased this area and don't see anymore seepage so maybe its oil from elsewhere. Anywhere else I should check?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
1) get a new gasket and check that the head and valve cover surfaces aren't nicked up. You can add a very thin bread off silicone around it, but it will make the cover that much harder to get off in the future. The bolts are shouldered and will bottom out on their own when tightening. Adding washers will pinch the cover tighter, but can also cause it to touch the can chain guide and squeeze the plug o rings too tight as well. You also run the risk of causing stress cracks in it. I don't recommend this, but if you do, I'd use some shim stock that's a few thousandths thick, not regular washers.

2) get a new cover. You have no way of knowing a used cover isn't cracked either. Brand new is not that expensive.

3) fix the known leaks above before chasing a fictitious leak in this area. It could be blowing back to that area from the valve cover or somewhere else. It could also be the oil seal around the actuator rod. But don't worry about that yet until sealing everything forward of that area unless you know exactly where it's coming from.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2) get a new cover. You have no way of knowing a used cover isn't cracked either. Brand new is not that expensive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Do you have a suggestion as to where to purchase this from? I'm seeing the cover for around 200.

EDIT: While we are here - do you replace or re-use the front sprocket cup washer? Swapping my chain and sprockets prompted this overhaul lol

·
Registered
837 Posts
You could try JB weld on that cover, looks like a minute crack

another poss alternative is a Chinese cover on e bay

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
Do you have a suggestion as to where to purchase this from? I'm seeing the cover for around 200.

EDIT: While we are here - do you replace or re-use the front sprocket cup washer? Swapping my chain and sprockets prompted this overhaul lol
Hondaeasttoledo.com is the cheapest for that cover.

Part number is: 14091-0860
Cost is $147.39

The washer can be reused once, maybe twice. The more it is bent, the weaker it becomes. So if you intend to reuse it, bend it down on the nut in a different spot. I'd replace it after it's been bent twice.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
You could try JB weld on that cover, looks like a minute crack

another poss alternative is a Chinese cover on e bay
You could try that. But I'd pull the cover and use the JB Weld on the inside of it. The problem really is that the crack will likely spread. Unless it's stop-drilled at the ends, the JB Weld would just stop the weeping temporarily. Being that the crack is very small, there's not much metal for the JB Weld to hold onto. You'd be smearing it as a plug across the crack. And if you do it on the inside of the cover and it doesn't hold or flakes off, then pieces of JB Weld will wind up in your motor. But smearing it on the outside of the case won't really do much to address the problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumbsup: Thanks Sky! I will check out that website for other OEM parts as well.

I thought about using some JB, but I had the same concern - that it could flake off inside. I was thinking I could rough up the inside of the cover and smear some on, but I'm going to fix it correctly. The outside of the cover is too smooth for the JB to adhere. I am curious how that crack formed there.

Hopefully I will have an oil leak free 10r with a -1/+1 setup soon :wink:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
One more question. Do I need to replace the plug hole gaskets along with the valve cover gasket? The manual does not mention replacing these but I want to be thorough.

Part number 11061-0064
It's best to replace them as they will get hard from age and the heat they are subjected to. But usually they can be reused. If they leak a little like the cover gasket, the oil seepage is usually contained by the tighter fitting stick coils that fill that hole.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's best to replace them as they will get hard from age and the heat they are subjected to. But usually they can be reused. If they leak a little like the cover gasket, the oil seepage is usually contained by the tighter fitting stick coils that fill that hole.
Ordered. HondaToledo has fantastic prices. So much for only a few hundred on a chain and sprocket job...:badteeth:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I've decided its time to sort all the oil leaks on my gen 2 zx10r. It is leaking from:

1) the valve cover gasket - done this before but I've seen people suggest adding additional silicone gasket and/or adding washers on top of the cover because the bolts bottom out early - can anyone comment on this? How thick should these washers be?

2) the starter cover - I am afraid I need to replace the whole cover here. At first I thought it was leaking from one of those ports, so I replaced the o-ring. Upon further inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that is seeping oil. I put some talc powder on it after cleaning it and started the bike and oil residue started forming underneath the seal immediately. I have no idea how this happened because I've never dropped or crashed this bike. This leak is slow, but it's going to bother me. Should I try to fix it somehow or snag a used cover off ebay?

Here is a picture right after starting the bike (notice the oil seeping from what looks like a crack):

This picture is after a few minutes:

3) potentially the clutch cover - oil residue on top of the clutch cover right in the area where the 2 surfaces mate. Is it possible oil from the valve cover made its way all the way down here? I cleaned/degreased this area and don't see anymore seepage so maybe its oil from elsewhere. Anywhere else I should check?
Very useful information. I'm having a leak also on my 2007. Had the shiftier gasket replaced. Might be valve cover gaskets for me as I am seeing blowback into the lower cowl and kickstand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts