Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ventured off on a mission to rape the ass end of my 10R. I first started out wanting to gut my cats and baffle both tubes and was 60 percent into it when another member pointed out he had done it. So I lost momentum due to the feedback he gave on the noise level. Soooo I moved to plan B.. To do a low mount or mid side exit ..

I ended up with a low mount due to some pipe bending issues that I will address later to move the can right below the passenger fot peg .. BY SUMMER for sure when I find a facility that can mandrel bend tight turns.

Final Product Pics

You will Need :

1) 2008-2009 Can and mid pipe..
2) A 2" Stainless S Pipe with 2 35 Degree bends . (Mine Was Chrome But I Blasted the chrome off with sandblaster)
3) Place to expand those pipes
4) 2 muffler clamps
5) Lots of patience

First I mocked up the bike with plastics off. Take off the swingarm plate . Take off all the mounts where the reservoir mounts and reattach without the crap except the bracket that installs below the lid. You will need that bracket to mount the pipe..

Second I work the mid pipe to fit the cat by slowly expanding the pipe. The stainless will split if you expand it too far . . Every bike is different and you could use 2.25 " pipe and expand it enough to use the lead based pipe gasket on the oem setup

I did not use aluminized pipe it gets too hot

Third I Took it off and expanded the other end till it slid over the end pipe of the can tightly ..

Fourth Tighten the Cats, and the pipe where you want it on the bike and grab your self a long piece of aluminum and drill a hole at each end . Your length of this piece will depend on your setup

FifthAttach your aluminum strip to the bolt that holds the reservoir bracket to the pass footpeg and let it hang loose enough to move it around

FifthNow line up that strip with to the mounting hole on the bracket supplied with the can your using . as pictured . now take a sharpie and push it through the hole and leave a mark . Then drill a hole in that piece center the hole on the mark .. .

Sixth Last cut off the excess strip . Re tighten everything and your almost done ..

Lets move on to notching your plastic

I installed one screw on the other side of bike and slowly rolled it over to the pipe side..

Take note of where the plastic touches the pipe ..I made a mark on the outside plastic 1/4 " FROM BELOW AND 1/4" above the pipe. Then i took off the plastic and connected the lines by drawing a straight line from both marks to form a square .. then i drew a circle in the middle of that square and that was the material I removed ...

It took 2 trims and i clear the pipe by 1/2 "

Now you will need some heat protection..Take your heat shield you removed and peel off the OEM fiber and cut pieces and stack it but the pipe . I also put a strip on my swingarm where my pipe is close to touching the swingarm .. Later I will order a black kind ..

Hope you all get some ideas or this helps you do what I did ... "
Thanks

Heres a SOUND CLIP

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
not too bad but hard to tell if i like it because of the view of the pictures. can you take a side picture of the entire bike though?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It looks pretty good. I think it would look better if the pipe angled up a bit towards the rear instead of going straight back though

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Corner clearance is??????????? Gone, severely limited?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not a big fan of the change, I think u changed the one thing I love about the growler and didn't change the one thing I hate about the gen one, but props on craftsmanship and write up

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Not a big fan of the change, I think u changed the one thing I love about the growler and didn't change the one thing I hate about the gen one, but props on craftsmanship and write up
He has a 2nd gen.....NOT a 1st. To each his own man, I'd like to see a full side shot o the pipe and bike but as long as you like it and are happy with it then it doesn't matter what we say and think.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has a 2nd gen.....NOT a 1st. To each his own man, I'd like to see a full side shot o the pipe and bike but as long as you like it and are happy with it then it doesn't matter what we say and think.
Here ya go

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corner clearance is??????????? Gone, severely limited?
Only if im draggin ELBOW ... I just had it doown to the foot peg 3o minutes ago .... But at any rate your sittiing there looking at a picture so its cool . This is not a permanent location . Im hacking off the elbow on the growler and that will change the mount to just beneath the rear foot peg . That will raise it up to a point where cornering would not be affected . The growler is only 5 Inches round if that

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres where it will be mounted once I get the elbow hacked and find out if I can expand titanium .

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Cool man, just wondering. The last pic looks better and if you mount it the way I think I understand, it'll look pretty good.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Bike is a 2007 Man .. Not a Gen 1

From THIS

To THIS

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool man, just wondering. The last pic looks better and if you mount it the way I think I understand, it'll look pretty good.
Yeah I never intended to leave iit that low ... I just merely posted it for an example. Im cutting iit at the elblow and expanding it .. It will look good. Im probably a week out for completion and ill be able to bolt on any slipon made for the 2008 model .. It was alot of work but was definately fun.. It sounds mean as hell .. Backfires alot though lol .. Guess Ill be researching that pair mod ..:dontknow:

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it looks good both ways.
Thanks man ..Not knowing if I'm feeling the white vinyl I put on the tail and mid fairing though ..The nose will stay with the white and red outline .. :eek:ccasion1

FYI I figured out my problem without needing my exhaust dudes tools .. Im getting a 32 tooth blade and cutting the slipon or banging off the insert pipe .. cutting 110 MM off the titanium stocker connector pipe using the expanded end to slip over my mid pipe and the cut end should slip right inside the slipon and cut thee hanger . BOOM .. done .. can will run below pass peg and blow about 3 inches past the back of it. relocate reservoir to above the rider peg and im done ...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
thanks for putting up better pics. I think its a good improvement. it had to of made the bike lighter too (cant go wrong with that). It does look a little weird to me mostly because I'm not use to seeing a gen 2 without two pipes out the back. nice work :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts