Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2006 zx10r speed question

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Jay310 
#1 ·
Hello all. First post here. I have a strange question and hoping someone could possibly shed some light. I purchased a used 2006 zx10r and in order for me to get to 100 mph I seem to have to get up to third gear. It does have a dynojet power commander 3 in there. The bike itself is in very good shape as far as I can tell and has been serviced properly from what I see. Could one of you shed some light as to why it's reaching roughly 60 mph in first, 80~ in second and 100~ in third before it screams at me? I guess in some ways it's good it doesn't shoot to 100 in first gear instantly but I do want to lessen whatever is restricting this.

Bike has had two owners prior.

#2 ·
Welcome to the party!

Are you saying it won't hit redline at all in the lower gears? Or you're hitting redline at those speeds in those gears? There's a difference between those things. There's no restrictions on anything and 1st gear should be good to just over 100mph with stock gearing.

#3 ·
Welcome to the party!

Are you saying it won't hit redline at all in the lower gears? Or you're hitting redline at those speeds in those gears? There's a difference between those things. There's no restrictions on anything and 1st gear should be good to just over 100mph with stock gearing.
Thank you. It seems to "struggle" to hit the redline. When I hit roughly 60 MPH in first gear, it seems to behave like it's redlining, however, the speedometer is only is hitting about half way to maybe the 7 or 8. I can hit the throttle more for it to get a bit further but it seems to not naturally want to. It's very strange. My guess is it isn't stock gearing (it has some mods but I'm not fully sure). At this point I'm trying to figure out why this is the case. It seems to be limiting how much each gear will go, whatever it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.