Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...been seeing some posts lately about clutches; and I got to wondering. How many miles should one expect to get on a clutch before it needs replacing? I don't do any stunts, drag racing, or anything like that. I slip it a little leaving lights, and of course take adavantage of the slipper on down shifts. I like the sprited 1st gear pull from time to time, but other than that just normal daily riding and blastin' a few twisties for me.

Also, what are some key things to look for in order to know it's time to replace the clutch?

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just depends on how you ride. I replaced a clutch on my previous bike (R1) at about 3500 miles. As a thumb rule under normal riding conditions clutch should probably last about 8000 miles. As a suggestion when the time comes go with manufacturer (Kawi) pressure and friction plates with better than stock springs or racing springs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Depends how hard you beat on and the adjustment.My harley has 54K orignial on it. My buddies zx12r has 35K on it still the factory one

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
eros said:
Just depends on how you ride. I replaced a clutch on my previous bike (R1) at about 3500 miles. As a thumb rule under normal riding conditions clutch should probably last about 8000 miles. As a suggestion when the time comes go with manufacturer (Kawi) pressure and friction plates with better than stock springs or racing springs.
I got 12,000 plus miles on my 06 and the clutch still feels the same as the first day I got it.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I dont know if they changed from 04-05 to 06 but my bike is a bit over 11,500 miles and I do some pretty hard riding I owned the bike sinc eit had 4200 miles on it and I run nitrous and drag race at times to...also does wheelies of course no cluching though

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
garth285 said:
I dont know if they changed from 04-05 to 06 but my bike is a bit over 11,500 miles and I do some pretty hard riding I owned the bike sinc eit had 4200 miles on it and I run nitrous and drag race at times to...also does wheelies of course no cluching though
And you are still on the stock clutch, with no noticeable change in "clutchability?" :dontknow:

D

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yup stock clutch, they can take some abuse but I still take it a lil easy on it. I've gone down the strip about 15-20 times so far and launch at aroudn 7k

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
garth285 said:
yup stock clutch, they can take some abuse but I still take it a lil easy on it. I've gone down the strip about 15-20 times so far and launch at aroudn 7k
That's good to know!

Thanks everyone for your responses/input. I'm thinkin' I shouldn't have to worry about clutch issues for quite some time... :cool:

D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ive made about 25 passes at the track on my 06 and I when I wheelie it on the highway I clutch the shit out of it, basically I beat the hell out of my clutch and I have 11,600 miles now and no sign of slipping or anything.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
with the power of the 10's ya should have to clutch it lol.....mabey on a 600 but these 10s are pretty easy to pull up, I've gotten her up in 5th at about 120 before and have gone from 3rd to 6th sitting at about 130-140.....I love these 10r's!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
garth285 said:
with the power of the 10's ya should have to clutch it lol.....mabey on a 600 but these 10s are pretty easy to pull up, I've gotten her up in 5th at about 120 before and have gone from 3rd to 6th sitting at about 130-140.....I love these 10r's!!![/QUOTE

Dam dude!!! How much do you weigh? Im 195 and I have trouble clutching it in 3rd. Second is crazy! What gearing are you running?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I was over 210 easy when I Was doing that....Im down to 187 though now since I been cuttin the weight but its pretty easy for me....I have been doing wheelies for a few years now....I used to pull my old ass nakid 96 yzf600 with 76 hp in 4th gear no clutch.....check out my website for some vips and stuff if ya'd like.

www.garthman.com

·
Registered
804 Posts
garth285 said:
I was over 210 easy when I Was doing that....Im down to 187 though now since I been cuttin the weight but its pretty easy for me....I have been doing wheelies for a few years now....I used to pull my old ass nakid 96 yzf600 with 76 hp in 4th gear no clutch.....check out my website for some vips and stuff if ya'd like.

www.garthman.com
Bad ass vids Garth. Dam, I just started doing wheelies about a month ago and the best I do is stand it up in first on power from 30 to 110 to redline in first, then on the highway from 45 to 120 in second till I hit the limiter, but what freaks me out is when I hit balance point. It almost seems like it would be easier standing up with left foot on rear peg and the left one on the front peg. How do you do stand ups, do you cover the rear brake?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I dont wanna jack the thread here but....yes doing wheelies staggered is a bit better, you can control the wheelie (turning left and right) alot better standing up though... I do not have rear pegs because I got into racign and also when I boguth the bike used I didnt have pegs......but I stand on the front pegs as well and can do it that way to.... if ya watch me on my 600, youy can see I have both feet on the rear pegs not covering the brake but I was liek pro with that bike.....send me a PM if ya;d liek some tips I dont liek jackign these threads up to much lol

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
garth285 said:
I dont wanna jack the thread here but....yes doing wheelies staggered is a bit better, you can control the wheelie (turning left and right) alot better standing up though... I do not have rear pegs because I got into racign and also when I boguth the bike used I didnt have pegs......but I stand on the front pegs as well and can do it that way to.... if ya watch me on my 600, youy can see I have both feet on the rear pegs not covering the brake but I was liek pro with that bike.....send me a PM if ya;d liek some tips I dont liek jackign these threads up to much lol
or spelling. damn garth, got a headache in learning how to read english again! Your killing me! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts