Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of you have installed a thinner head gasket, what octane did you need to run, could your butt dyno feel any diff from the compression increase?
Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Do a search for thin headgasket...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already did the search... thats why I posted this question because I couldn't find where someone did only the head gasket without big bore kits, etc.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Already did the search... thats why I posted this question because I couldn't find where someone did only the head gasket without big bore kits, etc.
i don't recall ever seeing a thread about just the gasket. but i know the .45 gasket can be used. even seen a few use the .50 gasket.

i'm getting ready to do just the gasket and intake cam on mine and i believe i'm gonna go with the .45.

garth285 is the guy to pm

·
Registered
685 Posts
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46196&highlight=headgasket - The guy in this thread used pump gas with no problem.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2737&highlight=headgasket+power - This guy loved the power difference. I have heard from doing my searches tho, that it isn't worth the effort to do JUST a thin headgasket. You should do cams, porting, etc while in the motor.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

My problem is in Nebraska 91 octane is all over , 92 is a rare find and 93 well haven't seen that in awhile. So I'm wondering would 91 and the thin .45mm gasket work. We all know manfacture's claims usually aren't true especially on every bike. I know our ratio is stated at 12.7:1 but I don't think that every bike or even one bike rolls off the line with 12.7:1 ratio. So maybe using a .45 isn't giving us what we think it should so that 91 may work.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
your probably right, I dont think anyone has actually cc'ed a head and piston area and everything to find out what our exact compression ratio but from what everyone says the manufactures compression ratios have always been off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

My problem is in Nebraska 91 octane is all over , 92 is a rare find and 93 well haven't seen that in awhile. So I'm wondering would 91 and the thin .45mm gasket work. We all know manfacture's claims usually aren't true especially on every bike. I know our ratio is stated at 12.7:1 but I don't think that every bike or even one bike rolls off the line with 12.7:1 ratio. So maybe using a .45 isn't giving us what we think it should so that 91 may work.
A-ha... So by pump gas, we/I "assumed" you meant 93. :dontknow:

Whats the ultimate goal of the thin head gasket? If you are looking for more power, there are probably a few other ways to get it that won't have you searching for the highest octane if the bike detonates with the .45 HG.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Garth so you think 91 would work cool!

My current mods are a kit ecu mapped , added one degree of advance (because of 91 octane gas), Akrapovic full exhaust so I've kinda done all the basic stuff. Bike runs real good haven't dynoed it but compared to stock form totally different animal. So why the head gasket, well it should affect the whole torque curve, and for me a plus 2-3 hp everywhere is worth it, plus winter's on it's way and need something to do.

I was thinking of velocity stacks at first but most info I've found it just moves some of the power around if at all. I don't really believe Factory Pro claim on their website because if it were true (drop in and get 5-6 horse on an 06) well then everyone on this forum would have them and talking about them haven't seen it.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
as for stacks if you want more mid range and top end power, order 2 stock outside velocity stacks and put them in the middle

·
Registered
685 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts