Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so i have a 2005 zx10r and it has sat far more than i care to admit the past few years (found myself opting to drive the sports cars 99% of the time). So the bike was left outside of my garage all winter (when i left it inside the garage one year mice made nests - figured safer outside). Battery needed to be changed so i did so .... after i changed the battery i WAS able to get the bike to start .... started for a bit then sputtered off. It sounded like maybe it was struggling because perhaps water/crap in the gas (or just old gas in general). So i emptied the tank and put in fresh gas and now can't get it to turn over. fuel pump primes. I always attempt to start it with the throttle turned (seems to be best way after it has been sitting) .... my thoughts are maybe water/shit in the injectors? Any ideas? The fact that i did get it to turn out i think was promising - just want to have the bike ready for when it is nice out again. Current GF has a bike so i reckon i'll get some actual use out of it this year.

Really appreciate any feedback!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
If the motor won't turn over, the battery is dead. Since you've replaced the battery already, I'm assuming you aren't using the proper terminology. "Turning over" means the starter motor is spinning the engine. Starting the engine is a function that happens after it's turned over.

A bike is NEVER safe sitting outside. Especially for extended periods of time. Rodents are the biggest reason aside from the water intrusion. If you had mice it there, the only thing you should be doing is tearing the whole bike down. They chew through wires and fuel lines to build a nest. And they leave poo in areas that shouldn't have poo. So you need to tear it down, thoroughly clean it, inspect the wire harness and connectors, the fuel lines, and verify that you're getting spark at the injectors.

The other issue is water. Did you find any water in the tank when you drained it? No, water won't go through the injectors. It will clog them up. But I'd be much more concerned about the fuel filter choking the pump and not letting the fuel flow and pressure where it needs to be. You need to do a pressure check of the pump. And since the fuel filter is integrated into the pump housing, it's not cleanable or replaceable. A new pump assembly would be needed. Given you description of it starting before it sputtered out, you likely pulled water into the fuel system choking it. First thing to do is check the pump output. That will tell you if the injectors need attention. Assuming you have spark.

Oh, and since it's a fuel injected bike, opening the throttle while your cranking it is utterly useless! Stop doing that! :lol:

Let us know your finds once you do some more digging around with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the motor won't turn over, the battery is dead. Since you've replaced the battery already, I'm assuming you aren't using the proper terminology. "Turning over" means the starter motor is spinning the engine. Starting the engine is a function that happens after it's turned over.

A bike is NEVER safe sitting outside. Especially for extended periods of time. Rodents are the biggest reason aside from the water intrusion. If you had mice it there, the only thing you should be doing is tearing the whole bike down. They chew through wires and fuel lines to build a nest. And they leave poo in areas that shouldn't have poo. So you need to tear it down, thoroughly clean it, inspect the wire harness and connectors, the fuel lines, and verify that you're getting spark at the injectors.

The other issue is water. Did you find any water in the tank when you drained it? No, water won't go through the injectors. It will clog them up. But I'd be much more concerned about the fuel filter choking the pump and not letting the fuel flow and pressure where it needs to be. You need to do a pressure check of the pump. And since the fuel filter is integrated into the pump housing, it's not cleanable or replaceable. A new pump assembly would be needed. Given you description of it starting before it sputtered out, you likely pulled water into the fuel system choking it. First thing to do is check the pump output. That will tell you if the injectors need attention. Assuming you have spark.

Oh, and since it's a fuel injected bike, opening the throttle while your cranking it is utterly useless! Stop doing that! :lol:

Let us know your finds once you do some more digging around with it.
Sorry, not sure what the correct term is - I just meant when I turn the bike on and attempt to start it the fuel pump is working and it sounds like it wants to start.

The mice issue was with my last bike - I did tear this one down pretty thoroughly, though. Fortunately everything seemed alright - no signs of mice/rodents. I think the pulling water into the fuel system choking it is what happened. Thinking of trying some seafoam before i potentially admit I'm in over my head and have a professional look at it.

I should have clarified - when my bike has sat in the past i have a 'megaphone' style exhaust (essentially straight pipe) that water/etc. gets in when it rains - so after sitting for awhile usually i have to have the throttle turned to have force to spray the water out of the exhaust. Has just now become a habit when the bike won't start - but in this instance clearly that isn't the issue (wish it was!)

Thank you for the input! Im not sure how to check the pump output. Is that something a semi mechanically inclined individual can do? Im actually outside right now doing the brake pads on my Granturismo S. Bike frustrated me for the day. Finally some nice weather need to have the toys ready to go!

Again - thank you for the thorough response and ideas!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
Sorry, not sure what the correct term is - I just meant when I turn the bike on and attempt to start it the fuel pump is working and it sounds like it wants to start.

The mice issue was with my last bike - I did tear this one down pretty thoroughly, though. Fortunately everything seemed alright - no signs of mice/rodents. I think the pulling water into the fuel system choking it is what happened. Thinking of trying some seafoam before i potentially admit I'm in over my head and have a professional look at it.

I should have clarified - when my bike has sat in the past i have a 'megaphone' style exhaust (essentially straight pipe) that water/etc. gets in when it rains - so after sitting for awhile usually i have to have the throttle turned to have force to spray the water out of the exhaust. Has just now become a habit when the bike won't start - but in this instance clearly that isn't the issue (wish it was!)

Thank you for the input! Im not sure how to check the pump output. Is that something a semi mechanically inclined individual can do? Im actually outside right now doing the brake pads on my Granturismo S. Bike frustrated me for the day. Finally some nice weather need to have the toys ready to go!

Again - thank you for the thorough response and ideas!!
I knew what you really meant as I read between the lines. I'm just one of those asshole grammar Nazis so I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't pinpoint the error.

Um, STOP. Don't use Seafoam! DO. NOT. USE. SEAFOAM. Pouring more chemicals into your fuel system to try and "fix" a fueling issue is never smart! Seafoam is decent stuff - if used correctly. But did I say that loud enough to not use Seafoam in the tank??? :dontknow: If you're not getting fuel through the injectors because of water, then Seafoam won't do anything since it will never reach the injectors! It does not remove water! The only thing you'd want to try out is HEET. But even that is iffy.

To check the fuel pressure, you can do a few things like hooking up a pressure gauge to the pump output fuel line and measuring the pressure. And you flow test the pump by timing how much fuel it can move over a certain period of time. Relatively easy to do if you have the right equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts