Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have a 2005 zx10r Got it in mid april as an early birthday present to myself :D came with 2500 miles now has almost 5k

What I've noticed... its like riding a dirtbike with more power... that being said

I was planning to slap a power commander on it.. and maybe adjust the sprockets because its cool to say I can do 105 in first gear.. but I cant keep the front end down if I floor it. I'm about 180 now and I am leaning pretty far over just to attempt to keep it down. So I cant floor it which isn't fun.

My thoughts are using a power commander to get it mapped and maybe curve the torque more towards the mid range than low.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was also wondering if I can cut some weight on the bike... though the thing is 374 dry so I cant really complain.. Just looking for maybe some easy cheap mods for the winter when I get my bike painted :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
??? The front end comes up because the bike has a lot of power and a short wheelbase. Improving the power and or going to shorter gearing will only make it easier to get the front wheel up. If you reduce the power so that the front wheel doesn't come up anymore, you've reduced the power. Is that more fun? Get a 600 then. Shifting the power band down to lower RPM would probably only make the front end come up at lower rpm. Solution: get a 600.

One possible solution is to go for a longer swing arm if you're into dragging rather than cornering.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
You bought a ZX-10R and you want to keep the wheel down? Not possible, go buy a Honda...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This bike is beyond awesomeness, I love cruisin on it as much as possible.. which isn't really too often since im in new england :(

Wish our summers lasted longer.. the cold is NOT fun.

Any suggested mods for the bike?

Other than a power commander and some velocity stacks, not sure what else I might want to ad. Bike is completely stock at the moment.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Most people do -1, +1 on the sprockets but that will only make the front end come up even more for you. Keep it stock if wheelies are a problem for you. Definitely buy a slip on/full exhaust and power commander... But that will only give it more power for more wheelies!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Seems like you come from a dirtbike background and wanna be able to pin it like you would a 250......NOT gonna happen, friend! :lol:

Riding a 10R is constant chaos control...Use throttle wisely, grasshopper!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Seems like you come from a dirtbike background and wanna be able to pin it like you would a 250......NOT gonna happen, friend! :lol:

:iamwithstit could be your friend or worse enemy.:helmet:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Look into getting a steering damper as well if you hadn't got one already......anything you do with the PC,sprockets,stacks, etc....is only going to make the bike faster or actually go faster quicker, you can always add some extensions to the swingarm and/or drop the trees down a few mm's to try....."TRY" to keep the front end down. from what you've said so far though i would NOT look into a 1/5th throttle or play with the gearing. just my:2cents:though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You nailed it! I used to race 250's in high school. When I got my first ninja I was whippin the bike on corners... took a little time to remember that im on cement and the bike is a good 200 pounds more.

I was flyin fast into a corner, down shifting to first and the back tire would slide a little then wheelie out of a corner. That wasn't workin well for my tires and I learned to control that. Now I got my zx10r and it whips way more.

I forget who mentioned it but I totally forgot about a steering damper, those are a life saver and I'll add that to my shopping list this fall.

I unfortunately have to get surgery on my hands for carpal tunel, but im gonna try just my throttle hand and hopefully able to ride again in a couple weeks time. Hard to hold on when your hands are asleep! :headshake

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the bike from before and after the paint work and such :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts