Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am in the same boat, i only ride on the streets and this is my second sportbike, and have never wheelied, i am trying to take advantage of every small bump in the road and come on to the throttle and i can feel the lack of friction under the front wheel, with the amount of power the zx10r has and this is without compressing the front end. This is just power at about 7-8 thousand in first or second.
The more i become comfortable with how it feels the better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
1. First gear, 35mph.
2. Clutch in.
3. At the same time rev AND hold at 8-9K RPMs.
4. Dump clutch.
5. Rear break if you're scared.
6. Gradually apply more/less throttle in the air as you advance and go further.
7. I like to accelerate as I come down. This will prevent premature fork seal damage and tank slaps when the front wheel hits. Don't slam dunk the wheel lol.

This action should be performed in under a second realistically. It should be nearly as fast as rev-matching a downshift. It will take some practice. Some people can wheelie at 6K RPMs and others at 10K. It's all about finding what best fits you seating position, weight, and speed. Pulling on the bars can sometimes help with getting started but I find it distracting. Having one less thing to worry about can turn a bad unsafe wheelie in a decent looking safer one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree with ddipaola except for pulling on bars. This could cause you to pull to hard on one side and bike won't be straight causing tank slap on land or worse... Your bike has more then enough HP to get the front off ground without pulling. Arms should be relaxed and definitely keep rear brake covered! You should actually practice with baby wheelies and then grab rear brake so your familiar with the action in case of a quick and high wheelie your not ready for. I find it easier to wheelie using left rear passenger peg and stand up. Helps get weight to rear of bike allowing for less RPMS. Take your time and before you know it, you will be riding on one wheel into the sunset!

Also, invest in a steering damper if you don't already have one. That bike is notorious for headshake!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it's anything like my ninja 250 you have to slow to a crawl, get to about 10,000 rpm and then drop the clutch. Good luck.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts