Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
Hmmm. If you're not able to wheelie a ZX-10, then you're not opening the throttle hard enough or fast enough. Or you're in a gear that's too high. :idea: So you should probably stop trying at this point.

·
Registered
626 Posts
1. 1st gear, 7-8000rpm
2. let off the throttle so the front end settles just for an instant
3. whack open throttle and cruise on 1 wheel into the sunset
4. Men want to be you and women want to be with you.

End lesson.

A few more points. Start with baby steps. Just try to get it 2" of the ground for awhile (weeks to months) and learn to rip through the power band with the wheel hovering above the ground. Once you get that down, going higher and higher will come naturally.

Don't pull wheelies on windy days or on uneven pavement.

·
Registered
581 Posts
1. 1st gear, 7-8000rpm
2. let off the throttle so the front end settles just for an instant
3. whack open throttle and cruise on 1 wheel into the sunset
4. Men want to be you and women want to be with you.

End lesson.

A few more points. Start with baby steps. Just try to get it 2" of the ground for awhile (weeks to months) and learn to rip through the power band with the wheel hovering above the ground. Once you get that down, going higher and higher will come naturally.

Don't pull wheelies on windy days or on uneven pavement.
Great place to start and get comfortable with the motion of the wheelie, I have been trying them for a couple years now and I still chase them! Always make sure to have your foot on the rear brake lever to save yourself as well. Once you get comfortable with that, start doing it with the clutch. A lot of video's online to explain in detail how to go about wheelie's as well.

When it comes to stunting and wheelies I have always subscribed to the mindset that if you have to ask you don't need to be doing it.
With this mindset I never would have been able to crash my grom dozens of times! :thumbsup: I guess the proof is in the pudding...:helmet:

·
Registered
626 Posts
1st gesr woy.. what ever you do, dont close the throttle or hit the brake
I've done that a couple times. I should probably get my sperm count checked now. :lol:

A further note to the OP. Do not rush it. It takes months to get to get confident with the wheel up in the air and months and months further to ride a balance point wheelie.

I learned by trying to pop a 1" wheelie after every single stop light or during every single stretch of open pavement. It came in stages and it took hundreds of progressively bigger wheelies before I was able to ride the balance point or do it in 2nd gear at highway speeds.

Also, try to resist the temptation to pull wheelies at night while you're still learning. It helps your calibration when you can subconsciously see the horizon and/or surroundings. When it's dark out, you lack visual input and a wheelie takes more skill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're having trouble wheelying your ZX10R, try putting the other two spark plugs back in. Mine wheelies under throttle at the 2nd - 3rd shift and I weight 260 w/o gear. Two Bro's header back system only.

·
Registered
220 Posts
tips on wheelies - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Personally, i got most comfortable with wheelies at the race track where they would happen from time to time on certain sections of certain tracks, until i was just banging them out at will on the street.

I can wheelie 1st or 2nd but just pinning WOT on my Gen1 from 5-9000rpm. No bouncing, or chopping required, of course if i give it a good hard wack to WOT, she comes up a lot higher and faster... which is pretty fun when i'm coming out of a twistie. Impresses the shit out of the street kids when you wheelie exiting a curve.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also make sure you're actually going WOT, i know i used to slow my throttle open because my sphincter would tighten a lot under acceleration leading to temporary inhibition of manliness in an attempt to keep the wheel down.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I could bring it up in 1, 2 and 3 easily on my '14 with just a little slip of the clutch. On the '16 I can even get it up on the back wheel in 4th. The '14 was much easier to keep it up on the back wheel than the '16. The throttle on my '16 is just too twitchy for some reason. Tried and tried to get it tuned as smoothly as my '14 with no success. I think it's just something to do with the electronic throttle bodies. I also find it easier to shift through the gears while on the rear wheel on the '14 for some reason. I've never ridden an older model but would guess they would be similar. Just take it a little at a time would be my only suggestion. Oh, and make sure your medical insurance is up to date. :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't see how in the heck yall are able to get yours up in 2nd and 3rd gear with power wheelies. 1st gear is no problem at all. Only way I can lift the front in 2nd gear is if I'm cresting a hill and wack open the throttle at the perfect time.

I'm scared to clutch it up lol so I just power wheelie for a few feet in 1st then set it down.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, clutching up is the easiest way to get it up. All you do is give it some gas to get the bike accelerating immediately followed by a quick slip of the clutch. Basically just pull it in just enough to let the RPM climb a bit and let it right back out which will bring the front up and from there it's just throttle control. Once you get used to doing that you can do it pretty much at will easily in 2nd and 3rd. Like I said take it in baby steps. The more you do it the more comfortable you get with just how much throttle to give it, and just how much slip of the clutch to give it in each gear. It's good to cover the rear brake, at least when you're learning. Before getting it all the way up practice giving it a little rear brake so you are comfortable doing it if you did happen to go too far. I also like doing it at the crest of every hill. It's hard for me NOT to do it anymore. :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
I don't see how in the heck yall are able to get yours up in 2nd and 3rd gear with power wheelies. 1st gear is no problem at all. Only way I can lift the front in 2nd gear is if I'm cresting a hill and wack open the throttle at the perfect time.

I'm scared to clutch it up lol so I just power wheelie for a few feet in 1st then set it down.
Nah, your technique isn't right. Second gear power wheelies are cake. Third gear is tougher, but not impossible.

In 2nd gear get the RPMs to about 8k and in one quick smooth motion, close the throttle all the way and then whack it open. Front should come right up! You can't just open it, you have to close it quick before rolling it back open. It's easier though if you're sitting on the back part of the seat or standing up. Standing up for me was the only way in 3rd without the clutch. But I'm more consistent and prefer powering them up than using the clutch. That's just me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
>> Constructive Criticism <<

When it comes to stunting and wheelies I have always subscribed to the mindset that if you have to ask you don't need to be doing it.
I have to agree... strongly. I stunted for over a decade, and I never had a mentor. Everything comes from your own abilities pushing the bike. The more you push yourself, the more you discover, but I know you're not going to listen anyhow so I will leave you with a tip...

DO NOT PULL ON THE CLIP-ONS WHEN YOU'RE THROTTLING HER UP! You will inevitably finally get her up, but after a few inches which will feel like a 12 o'clock, you'll dump the throttle, and end up in a tankslapper from pulling on the clip-ons leaving your front end askew.

Baby steps, dude. A 600 will EASILY power wheelie in 1st gear with proper body position; your ZX-10R will even more easily loop you in 1st gear w/o even blinking an eye. That you can't lift the front by just riding regularly on the streets is a very clear indicator that it's in your best interest to learn your bike, get more comfortable with its MASSIVE power, and once you're lifted the front a few times simply driving out of corners on the street or much more likely on a hard launch from a red-light, then you can start trying to perfect purposeful wheelies. {Side bar: you'd become a much better rider much more quickly on a 600}

I know how badly you want to fast-forward your biking experience, but man, we're just trying to explain that skill & experience comes from seat time. Put in your time; the wheelies will come on their own. It's not the instant gratification that most youngins demand from life nowadays, but man, anything worth having is worth working for.

Just my :2cents:...

ZX-6RR

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great place to start and get comfortable with the motion of the wheelie, I have been trying them for a couple years now and I still chase them! Always make sure to have your foot on the rear brake lever to save yourself as well. Once you get comfortable with that, start doing it with the clutch. A lot of video's online to explain in detail how to go about wheelie's as well.

With this mindset I never would have been able to crash my grom dozens of times! :thumbsup: I guess the proof is in the pudding...:helmet:
Or you are the pudding if things go south.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts