·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
Im in the market for the 2 above bikes

Last night i rode a 2005 r1 and i have to say very very nice
Very light and lots of power

I have not had a chance to ride a zx 10 can anyone shed some light as i am wanting opions on both

Pls held me make a decision

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Take my advice and get the 10, you'll love it. I don't think you'll get any other answers from andybody here.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
well i have owned both an 04 zx-10r and an 05 r1...i have posted before my review on them both.

the zx-10 had a lot of power and it was fun to ride cause of that. it had a lot more low end and mid range on my r1 until i geared it -1 on the front...that did make a differance but still not as equal to the 10. but on the track the r1 was tits. and once the r1 is moving, above like 8 grand it comes on strong. if you street ride, get the 10 for sure

the r1, was very smooth, handled well, and had badass front brakes...on the bad, my right ass cheek woudl get very hot on the r1 and the bike ran hot all the time...

they are both fun to ride though so it comes down to what you really want to get...you cant go wrong with either bike

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Here is my zx-10r

Here is my r1. the r1 looks better to me too

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I'm voting for the 10 but I'm biased.

In all honesty the R1 is a beautiful bike and good track weapon but the 10 has a better motor and you can work on the the other stuff. It easier to improve handling, brakes, etc then to get more power out of a bike.

You wont be disappointed with either. You rode and R1 try to find a 10 to sit on and see which you prefer.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
For looks get the R1 but not saying the gen 1 zx10r's are ugly because they are the best looking out of the 3 gens. For performance get a zx10r. I own both the 04 and 06 zx10r but I have ridden an 04 R1 a bunch and the low end power on those things for just cruising absolutely sucks compared to any of me 10's. if you could get the 08 zx10r motor into the 05 R1 that would be a done deal!!!!!

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
I have riden the 05 R1 and compared it to my old 05 10R and the 10r is better all around and If you dont believe me Test ride one and you know what Im talking about.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
The R1 was quoted at 379 dry and the zx10r was quoted at 374 dry....not much of a difference. The power is where you'll see the biggest difference.
I herd the 1st gens were quoted on 350something dry weight and thats why they called it the rubber bike cause it was so light, everything was plastic or rubber. Also the ten r's wheel span is closer than most(1st gen that is) so its nice to drop in the corners. The power, nothing compares to the 1st gen in my eyes alot of tourqe and light ass bike with the span closer to a six hundred = countless unlimited amounts of fun:bump:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I had a Gen 1 ZX-10R, and my '04 R1 is my current track bike.

The ZX10R is lighter than the R1 and to my recollection, it is the lightest production 1000cc bike. Wet weight was 430ish, and the R1 was in the 440's. Don't go by claimed weight numbers as they lie even more than the Gov't.

Both bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. Please realize these are just my opinions:

The Gen 1 ZX10R:
+ strong engine with flexible powerband
+ lightweight
+ great ergos for longer street rides
+ major thrill ride

- stock brakes are not great
- stock suspension needs some work
- should invest in a steering damper

The '04-06 R1's:
+ Great top end hit to engine
+ Beautiful looks - subjective
+ Excellent handling with stock suspension

- Ergo's are more track orientated
- Heat from exhaust if you're riding on the street
- low and midrange power feel flaccid compared to other literbikes

If you can't get a chance to ride and compare the two, my question would be your budget and the type of riding you're doing. If you're using the bike as a street ride the ZX10R in my opinion is a better choice. If you're willing to spend a few bucks on suspension and brake mods, the ZX10R will make an excellent track tool.

If you intend to ride a lot of trackdays, and you're not willing to spend any money to modify the bike, the R1 is a better choice. In stock form, and with merely adjustments, the suspension and brakes are extremely capable. As a streetride, the R1's lackluster low and midrange power is annoying, and the very hot underseat exhaust is not fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just sold my 07 r1, and bought an 05 zx10. i put about 5,000 miles on the r1 this year and matbe 500 on the 10. the 10 has tons of low end torque compared to the r1. the 10 will lift the front wheel at any speed in any gear. the r1 was like a 600 in that i had to rev the piss out of it to get any power out of i, and it had a low end bog that was ridiculoust. the 10 makes power immediately. the r1 was hot as shit too. brutal!!!!!. the zx 10 i was comfortable with right away. and more comfortable on it. took no time to get used too. I was convinced it was built specifically for me after the first few rides

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had an 06 raven R1 for 2 years, my buddy bought an 04 zx10 last summer, both bikes pictured...Needless to say I no longer own an R1, currently ride an 09 zx10. Both the gen 1 and gen3 feel much more nimble, more low end grunt and a little more comfortable in my opinion. I actually picked up my buddies zx10 for him, and got to babysit/ride it for a week before he came and got it. My initial reaction to riding it was it was much easier to ride, and ride fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
either one will probably be more than you can handle at the limit. This goes for me and 99% of the people on this forum. If you are going to ride it much on the street sit on both. If one fits you better than the other take it. The 10 will have a much better low end which is handy at stop lights and legal riding. My gen2 ran 105 in first gear before I re-geared. So first gear you are already doing 60mph @7200rpm. The bike is just waking up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts