Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue that I am trying to fix and I can not find the cause. My 2005 ZX10r is cutting power when I am asking for it via the throttle. The issue usually presents it's self when I am at around 8000 rpm's and then I twist the throttle hard. The bike power cuts out for a few split second or more (The issues is progressively getting worse) and then powers back on full power - this is a very dangerous issue. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs and this has not fixed the issue.

If anyone has had this issue or knows what it is, please respond and let me know the cure!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Check throttle bodies operating properly....first, I would have thought fuel pump...the other issue might be have you done any mods?...you may need a fuel controller and custom map....could be an over rich situation at 8K....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Older Guy

Thanks for the advice but no mods were done on this bike so it seems to be a possible electrical issue that I can not pinpoint.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since you mentioned it happens when you get on the throttle hard, what happens if you roll on more gently? How is the idle (quality & speed)? Does it happen at any other rpm levels, or only around 8K? Does it happen in neutral, or only under load?

It definitely sounds like the classic too-rich condition (esp. seen on old carb'd bikes). A throttle body sync certainly can't hurt and you may want to check/test the TPS as well. Possibly a vacuum (line) issue, too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only happens in the 8000 rpm in range when I am asking it for a lot of power. Higher gears it does not happen, Idle it does not happen. I had my mechanic check the electrical system and he found no issues and I am trying to give him options before the investigations cost more than the bike :-(. He will not ride the bike like I do to so the issue for his self cause you have to be going pretty fast or you have to accelerate quick which takes you to 120 or 130 in a few seconds.

·
Registered
349 Posts
does it happen in more than one gear when you run it up to 8k and whack the throttle, or is it limited to just one (or a couple)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will happen in other gears but I am rarely in 5 or 6 due to the power of the bike and twisties

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank you all for your help and suggestions and I will post the resolution as soon as this issue has corrected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bgmagma10,

I want to thank you as it was the Kickstand Switch. I wish there was an easy way for a mechanic to identify this issue easily. My mechanic went over all of the electronics and could not identify this.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
bgmagma10,

I want to thank you as it was the Kickstand Switch. I wish there was an easy way for a mechanic to identify this issue easily. My mechanic went over all of the electronics and could not identify this.
Good man! Glad you got it figured out. I fought with that damn issue for months before I finally tried the kickstand switch. Glad it's an easy fix. If you don't want to leave it unhooked you can take and clean the hell out of the switch and see if that works. Or just make damn sure after you put your bike in gear every time sweep your foot and make sure sure your kickstand is up or it will scare the living hell out of you the first left you make.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am ordering a new switch this week so that will not be an issue ;-). On the bright side, I have a new fuel pump, fuel filter, K&N air filter, Spark plugs and all of my electronics have been checked and are all in great working condition.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
I am ordering a new switch this week so that will not be an issue ;-). On the bright side, I have a new fuel pump, fuel filter, K&N air filter, Spark plugs and all of my electronics have been checked and are all in great working condition.
:lol: that's definitely one way to look at it. at least you got yourself a tune up in the process. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good man! Glad you got it figured out. I fought with that damn issue for months before I finally tried the kickstand switch. Glad it's an easy fix. If you don't want to leave it unhooked you can take and clean the hell out of the switch and see if that works. Or just make damn sure after you put your bike in gear every time sweep your foot and make sure sure your kickstand is up or it will scare the living hell out of you the first left you make.

me too. What a pain in the ass. Seems like it's becoming more and more common

1 - 20 of 22 Posts