Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovering I have two blown fork seals, I ordered the replacement seals+dust covers.

I plan on taking the forks to a shop to have them do the replacement.

Looking at the forks, it isn't obvious that I need to remove the front fairing or even the top triple clamp.

Do you need to remove the fairings? Triple clamp?

Or do you just remove the wheel, fender, and loosen the pinch bolts and slide the forks out?

Again, this presumes there's enough room to get at the pinch bolts with the fairings on.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah you basically only have to loosen all pinch bolts, remove the front wheel, fender and brakce calipers and slide them suckers down threw the trees and your done.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yeah, what garth said, piece of cake, your best not trying it unles you have a front stand that mounts under the tree
:+1: I got the Pitbull fork stand with the triple adapter. I just remove my forks. Remove the front fender, calipers, wheels, loosen the bolts holding the forks including the handle bars(no need to remove the whole bolts), with little effort you can pull the forks down. Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crap, I forgot to ask... ( if anyone still reading ) --- when putting the forks back in, I'm sure I can get them lined up "damn close" when sliding them back into place.

But in order to not bind the front axle, do you put the forks back on ( leaving them loose ), put the front wheel on, then snug the forks?

i.e., using the front axle (and wheel installation) as a way of ensuring both fork tubes are at identical heights?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Crap, I forgot to ask... ( if anyone still reading ) --- when putting the forks back in, I'm sure I can get them lined up "damn close" when sliding them back into place.

But in order to not bind the front axle, do you put the forks back on ( leaving them loose ), put the front wheel on, then snug the forks?

i.e., using the front axle (and wheel installation) as a way of ensuring both fork tubes are at identical heights?
Roger that! That should get the tubes pretty well even, I would measer again after to make sure exactly the same amount of tube is pretruding from the upper clamps.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

I will be using the axel to line it up, few pic I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've got the bike up on PitBulls, but you also have a jack under the exhaust and under the footpegs... is that extra stability really needed?

·
Registered
758 Posts
You've got the bike up on PitBulls, but you also have a jack under the exhaust and under the footpegs... is that extra stability really needed?
Earthquake ready i think.. we've had a few tremors in the past week or so..that i heard about on the news.. better safe than sorry..good luck with your projects guys..i might have to do mine in the future ...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, barely a year and 2000 miles into my new fork seals, they're "blown" again.

The bike has sat for about 4 months....

Why did the seals go bad?

This is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts