Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I sort of fucked up. Yesterday a buddy of mine started doing power wheelies and sort of taught me how to do them. So me being me decided to give it a go. I was sort of doing it successfully but I stayed in first gear while going 50-60 attempting to do them for a few hours. I’m just telling you guys this because I assume this is where the problem originated from.Today as I’m riding I get on the highway and for some reason the bike I managed to hit 170 on was struggling to go past 100. I’d start pulling back on the throttle and the bike would stop taking it and damn near throw me forward. Then once I got off the highway I passed under this bridge going home so I decided to give it a rev as I normally would and it wouldn’t go pass 9-10k rpm. I’m a pretty new rider so I have no idea what I should even be trying to fix on the bike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,513 Posts
Well, that's an interesting first post! Welcome!

Congrats on the power wheelies, I think. As a "new rider" on a Widow Maker 10R, there are far more things you should be working on as far as riding skills go. It's a freakin' literbike with a short wheel base so anyone can wheelie that thing if they just open the throttle in the first 3 gears. So that's not really a thing. We'd be more impressed if you could ride out a wheelie in 2nd gear on a Ninja 400. :sneaky:

What is more relevant to your situation here is what has been done to the bike. What's the maintenance history on that 17 year old scooter? What mods have been done to it? Kind of need to know the details related to all that to try and point you in the right direction.

Based on what's written up already, it sounds like a fueling issue. In most cases, the fuel pump is the issue. If you were whacking the throttle open/closed for hours trying to wheelie it, you probably sucked up some water and debris into the fuel pump to block it up. Or the fuel injectors themselves. Or that 17-year old fuel pump overheated and is starting to fail. Or the secondary throttle plates are getting stuck and not fully opening in the throttlebodies. There's a lot of things it could be, but it sounds like a fueling issue and you're going to have to start tearing the bike down to find and isolate the problem in order to fix it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is there rust in the tank? If there is your pump might be plugged up and it's worth checking even if there is no rust.

Btw I also started on a gen 1 last year and started doing wheelies in 1st at 50mph. Thing is I looped her, go a bit hurt, not major, and spent 4-5k on parts, tools, mods, shops (for welds and electronics) to rebuild her. Looking back i should have parted her out and got another one but i wanted ti fix her to learn about the bike and i learned a lot. Last weekend I low sided. Now i have have an excuse to replace the chinese fairings i had bought with some decent ones. The drawback is some parts also got scratched other than the fairings so I'm looking at spending another 700-800 easy to fix her up.

What I'm trying to get to is that as a fellow liter bike starter, these bikes are extremely unforgiving and they are pricey to fix so learn from my mistakes and take it easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts