Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, long time reader, first time poster.
I recently purchased a 2004 zx10r with only 8000km's (5000 miles) Canadian.
Have a few issues/concerns about the generator destruction issues with this model. First question, how common is this problem with the 04 model ? And are there any warning signs that the generator is going to "grenade" as the quote goes ?
Also, the tires are" like new" roughly 500 miles on them but have a date of 2007 on them, I am thinking that they would not be too safe and should be replaced, appreciate others input .

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have no expirience with the gen 1s but as far as the tires go... I personally wouldn't run a tire thats older than 5 years. 6 if I can fully inspect the tire inside and out and then.. maybe

·
Registered
174 Posts
ALL 04 generators need to be inspected!! It simply isn't worth the risk!
Tires are cheap and any tire that old will be several important steps behind the current crop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 04 has eleven thousand miles on it and no generator problems. I keep an eye on it but so far no issues. Mine is a late production model in 04 so they may have fixed the problem on the later produced model's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply's, TechnologistX, when you say "you keep an eye on it" what are you looking for that would indicate a issue/problem ?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I would change the generator to an '05 model personally. I would replace the tires. Any one of those failing would cause massive damage to either you, the bike and your wallet- possibly all three.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
save these

Attachments

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts