Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
without wanting to bore anyone to death I will try and keep it short, however I am practically on my knees begging for help to get this resolved.

In Jnauary this year I took my beloved ZX10R out for a spin and cracked the head and did untold amounts of damaged to the head bottom ends and so on.

At the time I rebuilt the original engine with a new head but because the bottom ends had gone I ended up purchasing a new enigne from ebay. So after getting the new engine I discovered the engine had a crack in front of the fornt sprocket and had been welded! After confronting the guy/shop I purchased the engine from, he offered to rebuild the engine my orginal good cases and the new engines insides to make one good engine.

Fantastic i thought, same engine numbers and so on. After much time the engine came back to me and at first was running as sweet as a nut, but after running the engine up (till the fan came on) for the third time there was a horrible schreeching noise coming from the engine.

After a little pondering and asking a few questions I found out the case around the generator (the part that spins) was cathing on the engine case and causing the engine to stop eventually to the point where it would not start again at all.

After taking the generator out the cases it was clear to see it had been rubbing and after pulling the generator out of the its spinning case the magnets inside were mush and completely destroyed so.......................

Has any one come across this before, after talking to Kawasaki they said you need to match the generator up to the clutch basket and make small minor settings which there are 16 different types.

I would agree with the above however both engines were a 2004 model and the clutch basket was never changed in addition I used both generators from each engine and the same thing accoured. This would make me believe that that there could be an oil supply problem or even just a case of getting the generator case shimmed.

Once again appologies for the bore, however I have not been out on the bike for almost a year and finding anyone who knows what I am talking about is hard to find.

Oh by the way the shop I got the engine form has given up because he lives so far away and is refunding my money.

Look forward ot hearing from someone.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Do a search, there are many well documented threads of 04 generators grenading...There is something about the shims as you have found out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi 11ute,

That's really interesting to know, i have done a little research and discovered the following from other threads on here.

The 2004 generators had to be installed properly with indexing of the clutch basket and so and cannot just be thrown into the bike and in 2005 they re-designed the genretaor putting a cir-clip on the end of the unit at the sprocket end so they could just be thrown into the bike so to speak.

With all of that said I am wondering when the engine was rebuilt with to much silicone was used which resulted in there being no oil supply or if the generator was not installed correctly by them and then the second one by me buy just putting it and bolting it down.

The interesting thing is Kawasaki head offie said you can get a 2005 generator and just fit it, however a reputable kawasaki dealer said they have to be indexed when installed, I am waiting to hear back form the dealer after they have spoken kawasaki direct.

Grrrrrrrr but even after all that it could still be an oil supply problem.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
On Kawasaki engines, there are pecific patterns of what engine cases, clutch baskets, generators, cranks, Connecting Rod Big End bearings and crankshaft main bearings to use. You cant just swap components from their engines. You can find it all at section 9-8 of the service manual. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On Kawasaki engines, there are pecific patterns of what engine cases, clutch baskets, generators, cranks, Connecting Rod Big End bearings and crankshaft main bearings to use. You cant just swap components from their engines. You can find it all at section 9-8 of the service manual. :thumbsup:
Thats what I thought, but thank you for confirming it, back to square one will have to see I can find the exact parts out the as going to a dealer is somewhat expensive

·
Registered
139 Posts
not all 04 generators are bad the one's that have had the updated parts
are ok . that is my second generator i never took the engine apart the first
time, when the next one shit it self stipped it down and found the oil gallery blocked, it only failed due to of lack of oil.
all because some idiot used to much silicon .
have a pic of 04 / 05

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not all 04 generators are bad the one's that have had the updated parts
are ok . that is my second generator i never took the engine apart the first
time, when the next one shit it self stipped it down and found the oil gallery blocked, it only failed due to of lack of oil.
all because some idiot used to much silicon .
have a pic of 04 / 05
Hello,

I have seen that pic before I was originally under impression that if I had managed to get a 2005 generator with the updated parts could be just be fitted?

Or do they have to be part matched as the 2004, sorry I am a little confused?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts