Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've posted a similar thread in a wrong section because I'm new to this forum stuff and although I've had some help from members, I still need to reach out for other input and suggestions. I figured the Tech section is where I should have posted to begin with so here I am. I just purchased this bike, which is my 2nd ZX10R and I love these machines. Sadly I haven't been able to do anything with this bike since I took it home and unloaded it off my truck. Since getting the bike home, I've ran into a few problems when looking it over more closely.

Radiator brackets all cracked off and more than 60 % air passage crushed over, plastics cracked, patched and hidden very well, front head light mounts cracked and held together with zip ties, valves clearances crazy tight and rear taillight not working and wiring a mess. Most of which I could not see by looking at the bike and just seeing it run.

I've purchased all new plastics for the bike, brand new radiator, had the valve clearances done, new gasket, plugs and oil, new braided brake lines, brake pads, new front headlight, rear tail light and a few cosmetic improvements like new bar ends, grips etc, windsheild etc.

When I bought the bike, I was told I only needed a new rear light and that was it. Buyer beware and stupid me for not trying to dig a little deeper when looking the bike over. Excitement got the best of me I suppose.

So the issue now that I'm having trouble with initiated when I installed the Bike Master Intergrated LED Tail Light. Before I explain, here is my bikes details.

My Bike

34,000 Kms
Acrapovik Exhaust & Headers
Servo Buddy
Power Commander
Butterflie Deletes
BMC Race Filter
1/5 Active Throttle
Attak Rearsets
Flushmount Front Signal Lights
Bike Master Rear Intergrated LED Tail Light
Pulse Full Spectrum Battery

The Scenario

So I just finished installing the BM Rear Tail Light LED. I followed the install instructions as directed. It was simple, plug factory connector into the new tail light and then manually wire the signal lights. The signal lights were also easy, left BM LED signal wire to the Green wire on my ZX10 and right BM LED signal wire to the Grey wire on my ZX10. Pretty straight forward. There is no ground on the signal lights because they use the same ground as the tail light brake. So for the two extra ground wires that are originally from the signal lights I taped and then heat wrapped them.

Note

The previous owner had some sort of eBay light tail light setup and made a mess of the rear tail light wire harness which I didn't know because this was hidden by electrical tape.

Further On

After installing the Rear Tail Light I wanted to see how it looked. I turned my ignition and key on without starting the bike, then right away all electrical on the bike shut off completely. No dash lights, head lights, signals, horn, nothing at all. Everything is dead.

What I've Done So Far

Checked all fuses, all were good except for the 10A tail light fuse, which is now replaced - Problem not solved.

Checked battery to see if possibly at the same time it died, battery checked out fine - Problem not solved.

I visually inspected the wiring harness for melting/burn marks. Everything looks fine. Problem not solved.

Checked all main ground wire locations, cleaned them free of any corrosion and checked battery terminals for proper connection - Problem not solved.

Tried unpluggin the rear tail light section of the wire harness - Problem not solved.

Closing Marks

I'm really hoping for some ideas and further help from you guys. I'm picking up a smart multimeter tonight for further testing as well. I was told by a friend that it could be the starter relay, thoughts on that suggestions? What else could have fried that would cause total loss of power throughout the entire bike?

Looking forward to replies and I greatly appreciate any help.

Cheers

Muggz

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Went and bought a multimeter. Problem solved :)

Problem was with the key ignition.
:ayyy: Awesome! I love a thread that resolves itself before anyone can help out! :lol: Congrats on getting it figured out so quickly and for updating the thread with the resolution.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
:ayyy: Awesome! I love a thread that resolves itself before anyone can help out! :lol: Congrats on getting it figured out so quickly and for updating the thread with the resolution.
Actually some did help out this is just the resolution thread. :wink: By the end of last night I suggested he take a look at the Ignition Switch connector and get a Multimeter....I even offered to ship him one for free but he lives in Canada :badteeth: ...anyway glad he bought one that is a must have tool and/or troubleshooting 12v light.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/please-help-no-power-274737.html

Bloo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually some did help out this is just the resolution thread. :wink: By the end of last night I suggested he take a look at the Ignition Switch connector and get a Multimeter....I even offered to ship him one for free but he lives in Canada :badteeth: ...anyway glad he bought one that is a must have tool and/or troubleshooting 12v light.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/please-help-no-power-274737.html

Bloo
Yes, BlueDevil got me on the right track for sure. Much appreciated man! One last question. Does anyone have a picture of the rear taillight harness going into the taillight connector? I'm curious if I'm reading the wiring diagram correct..

Right now if you were sitting on the seat facing the rear of the bike and looking at the rear taillight connector plugged in I have the following wires going from left to right (meaning right blinker to left blinker)

Blue - Black/Yellow - Red

and finally for signals I have

Right Signal - Grey Wire
Left Signal - Green Wire

Is that right?

Thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yes, BlueDevil got me on the right track for sure. Much appreciated man! One last question. Does anyone have a picture of the rear taillight harness going into the taillight connector? I'm curious if I'm reading the wiring diagram correct..

Right now if you were sitting on the seat facing the rear of the bike and looking at the rear taillight connector plugged in I have the following wires going from left to right (meaning right blinker to left blinker)

Blue - Black/Yellow - Red

and finally for signals I have

Right Signal - Grey Wire
Left Signal - Green Wire

Is that right?

Thanks
No problem man glad to help.

As for sitting on the bike looking back I have from left to right

Red-Blue/Red-Black/yellow

and that is for both my 04 and 05 ZX10R they are both the same.

Bloo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem man glad to help.

As for sitting on the bike looking back I have from left to right

Red-Blue/Red-Black/yellow

and that is for both my 04 and 05 ZX10R they are both the same.

Bloo
Again, your help was greatly appreciated, definitely put me on the right track and likely got problem solved a lot quicker.

Hmmmm

The wiring diagram in the service manual shows left to right:

Blue/Red (Switch Activated) Black/Yellow (Ground) Red (Constant) so is that the same as yours even though yours are colored slightly different?

Thanks again man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts