Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 ZX10. Have an issue with no fire at the plugs. Every once in a while it will start, but only for a couple of seconds. The FI light is not coming on, there are no diagnostic codes stored, no Power Commander or other device connected. I have checked the red wires on the stick coils, they all have 12 volts. The battery is good. I have checked the grounds going to the ECM, all have continuity to negative battery post. All the fuses are good. The fuel pump runs when I turn the key on, the speedo sweeps and the instrument lights come on. I have unplugged & cleaned the connectors to the ECM, relay box, to the stick coils. Can't figure it out, any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I no you said you check the coils but did you check them when it wouldnt start and pull the plugs to see wat shape there in?

·
Registered
836 Posts
camshaft sensor

check that and the sidestand switch. it seem like a bad connection. cranshaft sensor could be the source t6oo, check wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the plugs, they were ok. I don't think the stick coils would all fail at the same time, and sometimes it will start and run for a couple seconds and sounds good. I thought that the kickstand switch would not let the starter engage if the switch was bad, maybe I'm wrong on that. I checked the crank sensor, at first it was in spec, but then the ohms would start going up & down, then stabilize again, kinda weird, so I ordered a crank sensor. We'll see when I replace it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know you said you hear the fuel pump come on but it doesn't mean you're getting the correct fuel pressure. The Gen1 are known for bad pumps. I had the same problem you had. I installed iridium plugs, replaced the coil sticks and the bike still wouldn't start. I had an extra used fuel pump. I installed it and the bike starts up a lot easier. I heard the ZX14 fuel pumps drop right in. So I might eventually switch it out for a Gen1 ZX14 fuel pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is that I'm getting no spark, so I believe when I solve that issue the bike will be fine. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How do you know you aren't getting spark? Did you take a coil stick, put a spark plug in it, ground it to the frame and crank the engine over? I believe the can position sensor sends a signal to the ecu to tell it when to spark but if there is a problem with any sensor or signal it should throw the FI light on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did check for spark by grounding the spark plug while attached to the stick coil and and cranking the engine. My crank sensor came in yesterday so if I have a chance today I will put it on and see if that is the problem.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Wow another old thread bump!
Ain't that the truth!

HI where are those sensors located?
The sidestand switch is connected to the sidestand. The crank sensor is in the right of the motor near the ignition rotor. The camshaft sensor is the cylinder head on the right side.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Thanks SkyDork, I know where the stand switch is. I want to know where it plugs in?
Follow the cord from the switch forward. It should be about 8-10" from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The stand switch is plugged out. Can you post a picture where the female plug is situated on the harness please

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
The stand switch is plugged out. Can you post a picture where the female plug is situated on the harness please
I have no pictures as I have never owned a Gen 1. The Gen 2 that I owned was very similar though, but I have no pictures of that either.

The cable routes forward from the sidestand switch under the alternator casing and up into the hardness between the #1 exhaust header and cylinder. You should be looking for it on the lower, left front part of the engine. Near or behind the cooling system overflow hoses are. It should be secured in that area with some bendable clamps that bolt to the engine cases.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Thanks. I did this to check for spark now the motor is not cranking anymore.
Uh, if the motor won't crank then you're battery is dead or the starter motor is damaged. Cranking only refers to the motor spinning from the starter motor. If it won't fire, then that's an ignition issue.

From your pic there, you've got a lot of shit going on. The coil wires are pulled out which is probably why it won't fire. Besides that, you've got bigger issues. Your frame is cracked on the weldment. You're going to need a new frame and that isn't rideable even if you could get the motor to fire off and run. :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts