Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’m done with riding on the street. Going to convert the Gen 1 to track day use only.

I’m removing the fan, kickstand, left hand switches, subframe, steel brackets, and any other unnecessary bits.

Parts list:
BSB Hawk Racing subframe
MotoHolders Al fairing stay
AiM MXL dash with data-logger
Febur radiator
Sebimoto SBK fairings
Kawasaki Brad bypass plugs
Metzeler TD slicks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be careful with that Febur radiator. It takes a lot of heat from compression/WOT running in high temps to keep the thermostat from constantly opening/closing! I have a similar H2O performance rad that I had cleverwolf make a partially closed lower fairing for to limit the cooling. I was curious if one could cool more effectively by eliminating the water-to-oil cooler and use an external oil cooler instead. This would shed a lot of weight but you would need to drill and tap the case or run an oil filter spacer for an oil output/return. I was never sure if kawasaki opted to to continue using the integrated oil cooler to save money over running an external cooler like their peers were doing at the time or to keep oil temps in line with coolant temps.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bring up a good point.

That’s the only part that I’m waiting for an availability update. It may be overkill for a stock motor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I watched your original build with interest (I've still got my black 04 which I love and mainly ride on the streets) and I'll be watching this build as well. Great work, love what you've done.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Night and day difference?

How difficult is the FP shift kit install?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Night and day difference?

How difficult is the FP shift kit install?
It's not that difficult but it isn't easy. It makes a huge difference in shift feel. The 04s had a poor feeling of positive engagement although they do engage just fine. Also, make sure you check on your generator before you start keeping the revs up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to try out these new Metzeler TD slicks. They even sent me a free hat. :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, sir. I think they are the only distributor for the TD tire.

I’ll try them out in Feb and report back.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wish me luck. I was looking at a thread on here detailing how to make the gear indicator work on this dash... looks like I have to snip and solder wires. Yikes.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me know if anyone needs a, for 17 years old, low mileage dash with Magical Racing carbon fiber cover...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BMC race filter and Factory Pro velocity stacks. Secondary butterflies removed.

My valve cover started to sweat. I’m going to replace the valve cover rubber gasket and the rubber spark plug seals. For good measure, I’m also replacing the valve cover washers and using a thin coat of Yamabond 4.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this plan before I begin?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A gentleman at the track on a 04 Gen 1 said his has never sweated or dropped any oil. Bike had a little over 129,000 miles.

I had to ask him to repeat that mileage. Wow.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
536 Posts
A gentleman at the track on a 04 Gen 1 said his has never sweated or dropped any oil. Bike had a little over 129,000 miles.

I had to ask him to repeat that mileage. Wow.
Impressive. I hope mine makes it for that long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts