Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my Zx10r won’t start and I hear a clicking noise in the rear when trying to and was looking to get some help from the community. It’s been sitting for a while and I’ve just had time to go about troubleshooting it. It’s cranked before about a year ago, but now it doesn’t even crank just makes thst clicking noise.

I’ve posted the link below showing video of what I’m experiencing and attached a pic of the part. Do I need to replace this whole part or what should I do next?

https://youtu.be/Jl29UCXQs7M

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But a cheap voltage tester. They are invaluable when dealing with electrical issues. My guess is dead battery........

Thanks for your answers guys! I charged the battery and tried again, with no luck. Went to get a brand new battery and give it another go, with the same issue. Clicking noise from what I think is in the ECU ( same clicking thst I posted in the video above). Does this mean I need a new ECU, or what should I do next?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just replaced the starter relay solenoid and I still get the same click click in the ECU when trying to start bike. Does this now confirm that my ECU is bad, or what is next to check? I just need to get it to start

·
Registered
799 Posts
Check sidestand switch and/or clutch lever switch.

Starter relay is powered by BK/Y and Y/R wires. Check for 12V between Black/Yellow Yellow/Red wires when you press the starter button.

How does your headlight behave? Does it turn off when you press the starter button?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check sidestand switch and/or clutch lever switch.

Starter relay is powered by BK/Y and Y/R wires. Check for 12V between Black/Yellow Yellow/Red wires when you press the starter button.

How does your headlight behave? Does it turn off when you press the starter button?

Thanks for your reply lenshead - I don’t think it’s the clutch lever/starter switch based on several videos I’ve watched since in those videos you can hear a start but not a full crank over. For me, there is nothing at all but a click in the ECU each time I try I press start button like in the video.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headlights are fine don’t stutter or move. Another thing I noticed is if I hold down the start button, the FI light keeps blinking.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you have the tech manual? If not, search the forum and download it. Look at page 16-56.

If your headlights don't turn off when you depress the starter button, but you hear a click, it sounds like the starter circuit relay (inside the relay box) is trying to close, but contact is not good enough to remove power from the headlight relay. And therefore, not good enough to power the starter relay.

(Yes, the starter circuit relay and the starter relay are 2 different parts.)

You could try forcing the starter relay on by MOMENTARILY connecting the Yellow/Red wire to the battery+ (or to the fat white wire coming from the fuse on the relay) [This assumes the Black/Yellow wire is well connected to ground or battery neg.]

It's hard to diagnose these things at a distance
, but If the engine turns over, you might need a new relay box, (try borrowing one for verification), OR a good electronics tech could open the box and check/replace the actual relay.

The starter circuit relay connects to the yellow/red wire AND the red/green wire. Do not confuse it with the headlight relay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts