Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the finances and places to trim (two oldest have started private school this year) and I could save $200 annually if I remove full coverage from the bike.

My philosophy: I wouldn't make a claim towards my insurance unless the bike was stolen or completely totaled (beyond realm of Ebay and Ron Ayers parts).

Any insight welcome

TIA
Phil

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I think its worth the 200 bucks just for the piece of mind.

Tread

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I'm with the others. I don't understand how people can take chances with less or no insurance on their bikes. I worry about mine when they're just sitting in the garage, let alone when I'm riding them. Besides, what can you do with about $17 a month?

On the other hand, I have taken full coverage off of bikes before during the winter when there is no chance of them being ridden. And I can understand about looking for places to save money, too. The wife and I start paying her six figure law school loans back in about a month.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
:+1: Spend the extra cash is the way to go as then you will at least be covered if you get hit by someone that is not insured and does not stop.

·
Registered
591 Posts
phastone said:
I'm with the others. I don't understand how people can take chances with less or no insurance on their bikes. I worry about mine when they're just sitting in the garage, let alone when I'm riding them. Besides, what can you do with about $17 a month?

On the other hand, I have taken full coverage off of bikes before during the winter when there is no chance of them being ridden. And I can understand about looking for places to save money, too. The wife and I start paying her six figure law school loans back in about a month.:crybaby2:

because when they wan't $10,000 PER YEAR to cover an 06 zx10r, as compared to $1400 PER YEAR to cover BOTH the 10, and the 05 gix 1k....it's worth it.

$200 difference per year, not worth it. keep hte full coverage and go out to eat less.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've always run thrid party property fire and theft on mine not fully comp.

On a zx10 I pay about $350 AU (about $245 US) for that. Fully comp jumps to over $1500 US. (I'm 25 with full no claims bonus). So once you take the excess and everything else I am backing myself not to do $1500+ damage to my bike each year while still covering it if it gets nicked.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
phastone said:

:+1: Just never know when the "might" just might happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I just high sided, paid $NZ600 excess (the premium was just under a grand) and had about $4500 worth of repairs done. I'm thinking it was well worth getting full insurance!

Seems like I pay a comparatively small amount for my insurance compared to some though.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
circusnuts said:
Looking at the finances and places to trim (two oldest have started private school this year) and I could save $200 annually if I remove full coverage from the bike.

My philosophy: I wouldn't make a claim towards my insurance unless the bike was stolen or completely totaled (beyond realm of Ebay and Ron Ayers parts).

Any insight welcome

TIA
Phil
You said annually saving $200! I grew up there in the DC area. I would'nt do it. I'd rather sell the bike and get paid for it, than watch it vanish along with your pride. Its not if it will get STOLEN in DC!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
keep the full coverage, bikes disappear all the time and dont you work in the city? Enough said (thiefs)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
200 a year, there is no way I would drop it. I think its worth that just to know you have it.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
GASPASR said:
just flush your toilet less, increase AC by 1 degree, and eat out 1 time less per month....

All well and good unless you're already doing that. Most people have places to cut. Insurance is one of them. Food, entertainment, vices all usually can be trimmed. Good luck on keeping to the budget, it's tough. Good for you putting the one's who will look after you in your "golden years" into a private school with all it's advantages. It's a good sacrifice to make. :thumbsup: You might consider a second job, pizza delivery, cleaning, mowing yards, etc for a little extra.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
if you have to bump up your deductables...right now i have $250 on comp/ col. and $250 on liablility...I pay rouhly $800 a year because i had a accident last year....so its well worth the money to me to have full coverage

1 - 20 of 23 Posts