Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Anyone know how many ZX-10R's Kawasaki produced in 2004 or 2005 (trying to figure the amount of them out there)?

Is it "for Kawasaki" an instant "classic" bike that they will keep around for another 5-10 years? Or do they have plans to retire the 10R & supe up the 9R?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
During the front wheel recall I remember reading there were some 18.000 units produced to date (being august 2004).

As for keeping like it is as with the ZX9R, does not seem likely. Look at the 6R, two years on the market far from outdated (even voted best in most 2004 comparisions) but still replaced. I think the 10R awaits the same faith

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
If recent history in the sportbike marketplace is any indication, I would expect a revision (new styling, bodywork, appearance but same mechanicals) for '06 and a major redesign for '08. The revision every two years is almost a sure thing. The major redesign is a guessing game. The incremental improvements are getting smaller and smaller. They are already up against the self-imposed 300 km/h top speed limitation, which kinda defeats doing a whole lot more engine development in this class.

The ZX6R situation was something of an exception. The revisions that occurred with the 2005 R6 and CBR600RR are more typical of the mid-product-cycle freshening two years after their original introduction. The 600 class is not up against that top-speed limit ... yet.

There is a change in emission requirements coming in the 2008 timeframe which might have some influence. It will require some changes to the sensors and electronics and possibly the catalyst, but the basic hardware is already in place on this model, all it needs is an O2 sensor and the ECU to make it work.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
One other thing that could have an influence: March 2005 Cycle Canada reports that the president of Honda Motor Co has stated that after 2007, every new model of Honda sport bike, touring bike, and larger scooters will be introduced with some form of linked-braking system and ABS. (Whether you like this situation or not isn't what's under discussion here ...) The other manufacturers will no doubt be driven to follow in some manner, and that'll require some redesign ...

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the "future" of the 10R, I meant that Kawasaki has not had a 1000CC sportbike since 1989 (whenever the end of the ZX10 was). I was more curious if Kawasaki would "always" keep a ZX10R cycle?

Are the sales of the 1000cc class bike better than the 900cc class (since none of the others seem to make them).

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Well, there's really no such thing as "always", that's a mighty long time ...

The 900cc class did okay in the early/mid nineties when Honda and Kaw were both in it and Suzuki was stuck with GSXR750 or 1100 and the only player in the 1000cc size was the FZR1000. But the R1 and the GSXR1000 changed all that. Those models together became a lot more popular than the Fireblade and ZX9R together. For now, 1000cc is the serious-big-sportbike class.

It's quite possible in the future that changes to racing regulations to slow bikes down, combined with pressure from regulatory authorities for street bikes to tone it down, combined with the reduction in the MotoGP premier class to 900cc in 2007, could change everything again. 600cc bikes now are faster than open-class bikes from not all that long ago ...

External forces, here and elsewhere, can have a big effect on what's available. I love small bikes as much as big ones. I race an FZR400. The 400cc sportbike class was popular in Japan for years because the licensing rules favored it and there was a reasonable 59hp prescribed maximum for the street bikes. Then in the late nineties, not sure exactly when, they changed the max power limit to 53hp, and that stifled any further development and killed the class. The FZR400 went out of production in 1997, along with the GSXR400 and ZXR400. The Honda CBR400RR lasted a few more years, but I think it's now gone, too.

The litre bikes are up against a self-imposed 300 km/h top-speed limit that was agreed upon to avoid legislation in the European Union which could have been worse. They're all right up against that limit. And the purpose of developing the engine any further is ... ? ? ? The litrebike class may yet change to something smaller and lighter, at some point in the future ...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Jeezus, this same question went unanswered in 05 and still can't get an answer seven years later in 20 fkn 12....:suicide:

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of some numbers I thought would be helpful.
This is from the 05 ZX-10R parts catalog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts