Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,
my rear tyre is shot to bits and i,ve got a trackday coming up in a couple of weeks, normally i boot it with a 190\55 but just recently have been seeing a lot of 200\55s for sale . if i were to get a 200er what would the pros n cons be ??

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Getting a 200 for a great price is like getting a deal on a size 12 shoe and you wear a size 10.

You will be slower over all. 200 is good if you want to run low air pressure and do wheelies and run 1/4 mile.

200 is heavy; turn is will be slower, acceleration slower, stopping longer.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Getting a 200 for a great price is like getting a deal on a size 12 shoe and you wear a size 10.

You will be slower over all. 200 is good if you want to run low air pressure and do wheelies and run 1/4 mile.

:crackup:

:+1:
couldn't have said it better myself

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts

Not only that, some even go down to 180/55 and get even more nibble on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
ok,
my rear tyre is shot to bits and i,ve got a trackday coming up in a couple of weeks, normally i boot it with a 19055 but just recently have been seeing a lot of 20055s for sale . if i were to get a 200er what would the pros n cons be ??
I've seen that Pirelli Supercorsa is coming in a 200/55, but who else is making them that size?

I'd be worried about contact with the front of the swingarm, extra weight and setup issues. With so many good 190/55's on the market I don't think I'd want to spend the extra money.

·
Registered
610 Posts
ok,
my rear tyre is shot to bits and i,ve got a trackday coming up in a couple of weeks, normally i boot it with a 19055 but just recently have been seeing a lot of 20055s for sale . if i were to get a 200er what would the pros n cons be ??
It depends on personal preference IMO. Some racers prefer the 200/55 rear tire. But you would need to make sure that your suspension and geometry is matched to the taller tire. 200/60 slicks are also available if you are interested.

P.S. - Lot of negative opinions relating to the 200 rear tire may be coming from peoples perception of the 200/50 rear tire. Those were all show no go tires. The 200/55 are specially made for trackdays riders and racers who want something different. Its not sloppy like the 200/50 tire. Our local trackday vendor stocks them. Leaned over, the 200/55 rear tire technically has more grip than the 190/55 tire.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

True about 5 years ago but not quite the case these days. Saying a 200 is heavy, turns slower, accels slower, and takes longer to stop is like saying hey I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

OP, really depends on the tire. Yes an old 200/50 street tire is gonna perform horribly. Dunlop has a DOT N-Tec 211 in 200/55 that alot of the AMA guys are using instead of the 190/55. If slicks are what you want Pirelli has the new Superbike which is out right phenominal. Its a 200/60. Especially for liter bikes. Same turn in as 190/55 or even 190/60 but much more grip coming out of corners. If you can get a cheap 200 Dunlop or Pirelli that is not torn to shreds jump on it. Its rare because most who run those tires are competitive and because of the price run them till there's little to nothing left. Be careful.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I will say this from personal experience. I don't have a track to run on and ride
on the street and drag strip.

I switched to a 200/50 from a 190/50 and hated it.
The bike did not turn as good and felt like the grip was bad at a hard lean.
(Could have been from not changing the setup on the suspension)

When I wore that tire out, I swapped to a 190/55 and love it.
Turns in like a MOFO easy, and grips like crazy at a hard lean.

But I am using the Q 2's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i personally wouldnt bother unless you have superbike power thats chewing up your 190/55's
the newer 200's may be lighter than previous.. but will still be heavier than a 190.

unless your going for bling.. stick with the 190/55

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
i personally wouldnt bother unless you have superbike power thats chewing up your 190/55's
the newer 200's may be lighter than previous.. but will still be heavier than a 190.

unless your going for bling.. stick with the 190/55
Bling huh, so the AMA guys in Daytona Sportbike (600 class) run the Dunlop 211's in 200/55 trim for bling????????? I know for a fact also those 600's do not have superbike power and pretty much make less then what a stock 05 ZX10R makes. As far as lighter have you taken a scale to them???

You guys should really stop saying anything because you really have no idea what you are talking about. The OP is in europe and I'm gonna go on a limb and say the 200/55's that he is seeing pop up are the Dunlop N-Tec 211 DOT's the same ones the AMA Sportbike guys are using. But hey what do I know I could be completely talking out of my ass.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Bling huh, so the AMA guys in Daytona Sportbike (600 class) run the Dunlop 211's in 200/55 trim for bling????????? I know for a fact also those 600's do not have superbike power and pretty much make less then what a stock 05 ZX10R makes. As far as lighter have you taken a scale to them???

You guys should really stop saying anything because you really have no idea what you are talking about. The OP is in europe and I'm gonna go on a limb and say the 200/55's that he is seeing pop up are the Dunlop N-Tec 211 DOT's the same ones the AMA Sportbike guys are using. But hey what do I know I could be completely talking out of my ass.
It's possible BUT i seriously doubt it my man.....:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
what i mean by bling is more from a cost point of view. the extra contact patch when leaned over will no doubt provide more grip.

as far as weight. common sense will tell me that more rubber will be heavier.

according to the ama website the daytona sportbike guys are on spec GPA 190/55's..
http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/about/index.cfm?class=ds

is this info out of date??
That info is 2010 rulebook before Dunlop's 211 in a 200/55. If you look in the actual 2011 rulebook tire size in no longer spec'd just Dunlop is the only provider allowed, Slicks are only allowed in American Superbike while all other classes are required to run DOT's. There is also an alloted amount of tires allowed during any particular race weekend. Also the fact that the tire is larger doesn't nessecarily mean there is more rubber. Sidewall thickness and overall carcass construction means more to weight then an extra 10mm. To get the extra 10mm of tire Dunlop could have simply changed the curvature of the tire giving it a steeper profile. Besides look at the pictures, Eslick on a Buell, Cardenes on a 600 looks like AMA hasn't updated their website in a while.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
That info is 2010 rulebook before Dunlop's 211 in a 200/55. If you look in the actual 2011 rulebook tire size in no longer spec'd just Dunlop is the only provider allowed, Slicks are only allowed in American Superbike while all other classes are required to run DOT's. There is also an alloted amount of tires allowed during any particular race weekend. Also the fact that the tire is larger doesn't nessecarily mean there is more rubber. Sidewall thickness and overall carcass construction means more to weight then an extra 10mm. To get the extra 10mm of tire Dunlop could have simply changed the curvature of the tire giving it a steeper profile. Besides look at the pictures, Eslick on a Buell, Cardenes on a 600 looks like AMA hasn't updated their website in a while.
:lol:..once again, "But hey what do I know I could be completely talking out of my ass." I seriously doubt it bro... i have nothing else to say...:notworthy....:ayyy:

is this info out of date??
I think so.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Its really a mute point anyways. I agree abzx10r and TMY10ER put a 330 single sided 4" stretch on. The bling factor alone would drop 10 seconds of your lap time. I'm suprised more people don't for the ridiculous cost of 10K!!!!!!!! 10K for 10 seconds sounds fair!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
shinko makes a ok drag tires but i wouldnt put it in the turns with confidence, tomahawk makes a 200 in differnt colors and i wouldnt do anything but show it with the=at tire, full bore makes a 200 thats about the same as the shinko those are all 120$ tires but if you really want to ride go with a metzler or and avon or bridgestone all make 200s as well that you can ride drag and ride in the twisties with no problem they are just around 180$ as far as feelm and ridability 95% of rides couldnt tell by just riding it wheater they had a 180 or a 200 like a professional moto gp rider might be able to tell but i garranty you they could still ride the shit out of there bikes. in my awesome opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts