Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing Rotor Design.

Sitting right behind a thin, soft mag cover.

Any impact that pierces the cover risks hitting the teeth and shearing them off. The rotor sits in front of the timing chain which will gladly carry the teeth throught the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2nd is the ram air duct.

A couple of hard landings gives you this result.

My new duct is showing sings of moving even after my wheelie skills have improved to the point where I never bring it down hard and also glueing the new duct in so as to take away the stress from the bolt holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny how I think I have found both of these issues.

Regardless i love my 10. Most of my friends now have the K5.

Doesn't change my mind at all.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dayam. I never would have believed that. Broke like hard plastic.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
maybe bike is sprung too soft, might be cheaper to get the suspension sprung correctly verss buying new ducts all the time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
dam crispin!!!!!! i just started to wheelie when i got my 10,,,,, and i was landing hard!!! an mine is fine,,, u must of came down super hard to do that, or could be another issue with the front end... bummer man..

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
crisp i know about the duct by the 4 or 5 hundred threads about it. do you think by drilling a hole in the top and bottom of the duct and running a bolt threw it will hold it together?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could. I personally wouldn't wnat to drill through the frame. I tried glueing the duct in which sould do the same thing as what you are proposing. it is failing. the seam in the plastic is not good.

i have a 1 piece fibreglass duct that I will be installing soon. perhaps that is a better design.

sczx10r said:
crisp i know about the duct by the 4 or 5 hundred threads about it. do you think by drilling a hole in the top and bottom of the duct and running a bolt threw it will hold it together?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how high do you go?

i get close to scraping the tail.

Plus I started by chopping the throttle which is a stupid way of wheeling.

Clutching is soooooo much smoother.

AtomAnt said:
dam crispin!!!!!! i just started to wheelie when i got my 10,,,,, and i was landing hard!!! an mine is fine,,, u must of came down super hard to do that, or could be another issue with the front end... bummer man..

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I don't expect either of these items to ever be a problem on my bike. So I would not call either of these a design flaw. But stunters often put cages on their bikes to keep things from getting torn up when the bike is dropped frequently. Maybe you should put some kind of support on your ram air intake and install a cage to protect the ingnition trigger cover.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
:+1: . The designers probably weren't too worried about stuntin' or other "cool" stuff like that when they designed the 10.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i took my ram air out and did 2 things:
i went and got a body shop grade seem sealer / epoxy and went all the way around the seems as you mentioned crispin similar... and also got a few really thick 300lb 1" wide zip ties and strapped 3 of them around it while the glue was still wet i pressed it into the glue at the seem. then ran a thin coat all the way around over the zip ties to glue them to the plastic. while ill admit it doesnt look very pretty after breaking 2 of them myself ive never seen even a hint of stress on it now and i do check it all the time. it been good for about 6 months now. and you dont see the glue anyway when its installed so works for me. i did just try like a epoxy type plastic glue at the seems on my second one and that didnt help worth a crap the second one actually broke faster than the first one did. if you can find a body shop supplier they carry this stuff and the shit is damn strong and bond really well to the plastic not like a regular epoxy

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
zeta xray said:
I don't expect either of these items to ever be a problem on my bike. So I would not call either of these a design flaw. But stunters often put cages on their bikes to keep things from getting torn up when the bike is dropped frequently. Maybe you should put some kind of support on your ram air intake and install a cage to protect the ingnition trigger cover.
:+1:....and also you can't call something a design flaw when you break the engine casing yourself. The front ram air duct(shit don't tell bird man I just said this, I don't want to hear him again) I give you that. It should be able to withstand normal wheelies and front end drops, but remember this is the lightest high production motorycle ever made and likey there will be flaws when doing other things other than racing or what it was designed for.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You could wrap fibreglass strapping tape around the ram air duct. That'll hold it together for sure. Should be about $3 a roll at your local OfficeMax.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny that I think the timing rotor is more of a concern than the air duct.

The 600 has the same design (I saw the cut out motor at Seca)

All Kawi had to do is place a scater shield between the rotor and chain.

Someone else on this board just put their bike down and almost wore through the cover.

Believe me it doesn't take much to go through the cover.

Just last weekend I was riding with a freind who also has a 10.

I went to make a U - Turn and he didn't relieze what I was doing and brushed my right side.

When I damanged my bike I brushed someone on their left side, their footpeg went through the rotor cover. I had to rebuild my motor.

It can happen. I spent like $1,500 to repair the damage.

For a couple of cents we could have had a scatter sheild and I would have just needed a new cover and rotor.

So don't think it can't happen to you. If you ride in a group it is easy to brush another bike. Racers have the same risks.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You wanna talk design flaw? Let's talk about the hi-speed generator that spins at twice crankshaft speed (up to 27,000rpm :eek: ), with a single bearing located at the middle of the shaft.

After a while of hi-rpm hard use, the shaft starts to wobble, pivoting around the single center bearing, causing lots of noise (that most have complained about) and ultimately seizing, causing gears for the generator, starter and clutch basket to fail. Not to mention all the fun these little chunks cause when they get to flow through the engine b4 it fully expires.

That's a design flaw. And it's easy to tell when the svc. tech calls Kaw for warranty approval and their rep says: Oh yeah. We know about that problem. Go ahead and fix it. Then the svc. tech suggests an extended warranty, as being a design flaw, it will happen again, eventually.

Hell, I didn't even have to wheelie or collide with another rider for this to fail. Sorry if I seem a little pissy about this. I've now been without a bike since 5/31. Rain all winter; broken bike all summer. I love this bike, but if it keeps breaking I may have to give in to the dark side and get a Zuk.:BangHead:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
In regards to the cover. I dont think the Kaw is the only one here. There is a big aftermarket for covers. Some race organizations require aftermarket covers be installed vs stock.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Then generator thing worries me the most. The side cover can be replaced with an aftermarket piece for extra protection and there are things that can be done about the ram air tube (no problem for me yet), but a potential time bomb that will basicall mean a new motor skeers me!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts