Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have a 08 zx10 with about 12k on it. Got stranded a few weeks ago when the bike stalled and then would not respond to start button. After turning key to off and then back on again I knew I had either a dead battery or a battery connection had come loose as the instruments and fuel pump did not respond.

Had the battery tested and it had bad cells would not hold a charge. Bought a new (Cheapie) installed it and charged overnight with Optimate 3. started up just fine. left it on the Optimate and rolled it out to ride the follwing day.
When I turned the key the fuel pump started to charge and I waited as I always do for the pump to finish charging before thumbing the start button.
when the pump stop whining and BEFORE I thumbed the starter I heard a rapid clicking, it did not stop and I thumbed the starter and it reluctantly started.
shut it down and restarted it with none of the previous problems.
Got home from ride and put it on the optimate. Next day I went to roll out for a ride a noticed the optimate showed the new battery as "weak"
I went to start the bike and had the same experience as before, turn key, fuel pump charges, rapid clicking, thumb starter and then a reluctant start.

Sooo.....after I take the battery in to have it tested/replaced and stop on the way home to buy a voltmeter where should I start to find what is discharging and damaging my batteries. what could the clicking be before i hit the starter? Is it possible to have just replaced a bad battery with a bad
(cheapie) battery?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would check the voltage regulator. It might be over charging your battery and shorting out the cells.

Last year we had a customer buy a 08, and he got about 20 miles down the road and bam dead. Was a bad regulator right off the show room floor.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
check to see if its actually putting out 13+ volts at the battery... if not then you'll have to dig deeper and check out the stator and voltage regulator/rectifier

p.s. a bad ground will cause the battery to not charge fully, check all connections!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Easy way to figure it out - just disconnect the next battery the after you turn it off. If this works the next few times then bust out the ol' meter and get to searching.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 07 had about 15000km on it when the stator burnt out. Got it repaired under warranty. But it took me a while to work out what it was. It would kick over in the morning and be dead in the arvo. Replaced battery, same thing next day. Charged old battery same thing. Don't know about the clicking noise but it might be your stator. Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a bad stator too

I have a 08zx10r. I bought bit new 8/14/08. On 8/23/09 I stalled my bike at a stop sign and it wouldn't start back up. It didn't have enough juice to turn over. I knew immediately that it was the battery. So I got a jump, charged the battery, and was riding hard again. I forgot to tell you guys that I have 13k miles on it. Then about 3 weeks later the bike wouldn't start after I just turned it off from a twenty minute ride.
I knew it had to go to the dealer this time. They said it was the stator that went bad. They are contacting KAWI Corp. to see if they will cover the cost since it's less than a month out of factory warranty. If not they want $244 for a new stator and $165 to put it in. They r crazy. I looked in the service manual and it's (approx) 12 bolts, a gasket, some grease, a plug, and a torque wrench needed. On line OEM stators cost $165. I'll probably get mine from my good friends at Cycle Gear. LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 07 had about 15000km on it when the stator burnt out. Got it repaired under warranty. But it took me a while to work out what it was. It would kick over in the morning and be dead in the arvo. Replaced battery, same thing next day. Charged old battery same thing. Don't know about the clicking noise but it might be your stator. Good luck!!
Hey man,

what story did you tell them about your bike,
I called them today cause I think I am having the same issue and they are giving me the run around about how they need to see it first and that it may not be under warranty.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
check to see if its actually putting out 13+ volts at the battery... If not then you'll have to dig deeper and check out the stator and voltage regulator/rectifier

p.s. A bad ground will cause the battery to not charge fully, check all connections!
:+1:

·
Registered
700 Posts
You haft to run a gel or AGM battery in the 10. Because the angle it lays at will cause a regular battery to burn up. What happens is the acid stays at the back of the battery and the plates get uncovered and burn up. same thing with the R6.

Id the battery was less than $85 its not a AGM. The yuasa runs $110-120. I think the bikemaser runs 85 ish.

Side note. Here in my shop i had a customer that was determend to get his own battery. Witch is fine with me. he went to walmart and 5 yes 5 batterys later i got one to take a charge and last more than one start. All of his time a gas he could have paid me the 20 more and got a good battery from the start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts