Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new in here and I have had my Zx10 for only a couple of months, but a lot of miles (almost 6K)
I came from a MT07 and I wheelied the sh*t out of it
Now that I am in the Zx10r I can wheelie it, but I am doing stupid speeds, not easy at lower ones
I've change the gearing of my 2013 to -1/+2 that is the most common one on the Forums (and love it)
Although, every single tread were someone mention the -2/+2 combination, they act like they are out of their mind
What I'm trying to say is, is the -2/+2 gearing that dumb of an option? I really like my wheelies though...

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
You can go to smaller on the countershaft sprocket, but you'll most likely have to cut the chain to make that work. And be ready to replace the chain sooner than normal. The smaller front will move the rear axle out to the limit and you'll have too much slack. That and the tighter bend radius of the chain and higher torque on it will cause tight spots in the chain to develop. But you'll lower the wheelie speed of it some for sure.

Reactions: Osalva212

·
Registered
831 Posts
What if the OP were to keep the 16T front and go up as much as possible on the rear? What's the limit to the +++ rear sprocket while maintaining the same chain length? Would he run into interference with the chain guard if he goes too big?

I've always wondered what it would be like to ride lower geared than -1/+2 but I think I'd go nuts from the drone on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What if the OP were to keep the 16T front and go up as much as possible on the rear? What's the limit to the +++ rear sprocket while maintaining the same chain length? Would he run into interference with the chain guard if he goes too big?

I've always wondered what it would be like to ride lower geared than -1/+2 but I think I'd go nuts from the drone on the highway.
Actually if you look through the Vortex website, the biggest you can have is 44, I believe this is the most you can go with the OEM chain, and will not interfere with the chain guard
If you plan on going bigger than that, example a stunt Sprocket like 49-55 you must remove the chain guard, for sure
I have run the -1/+2 for months now and is actually fabulous!! this is the way that the bike should have come, the cruising speed in the highway is excellent and the movement from the get go is actually nice, the original gearing 17/39 is waaaaay to long and you will never use the bikes potential, unless you are trying to hit the 300Km/h+ on her
From personal experience the lower gearing like -2/+2 will allow you to use more trottle input on the corners, like canyon carving and likewise, (or a short track maybe)
I really like to wheelie my ZX, reason why I went with -2/+2, if you plan to use the bike a lot on the freeway, stay were you are

1 - 7 of 7 Posts