Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did my first track day. It was awesome. I did go off the track once. No biggie. I rode it out. Dam lucky. my fault. On the second secession. After the fifth lap. the rear tire just kept sliding out. I exit the track. it was getting to hairy to ride on and didn't want to make it unsafe for the other riders. Got back to the pit. The heat raised the tire pressure. Drop the to 30 pounds and the front to 30 1/2. on the third secession. The PP's were fantastic hit hit the golden spot. Through out the day. The bike felt good. Now. dropping 2 1/2 pounds in the rear and 2 in the front made a big difference. I know this sound a little crazy, but it happen to me today. Can a few pounds reaaly make a big differenc?.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Fsho, i had a good bit of trouble with the PP's till I went 29/r and 31/f....made a big difference, but I still wasnt quite comfortable, but thats due to the poor suspension settings i have now i think. Congrats on your first track day :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
rocketracermike said:
Can a few pounds really make a big difference?.
absofuggenloutly :badteeth:

even 1 will have an effect on traction or wear.

the yardstick is a 20% rise in PSI from cold to hot, i.e. start @ 30 cold and end @ 36 hot.

BD

·
Registered
216 Posts
Glad you had fun out there Mike! I wish I would have made it also...but busy trying to recover from all the spending on the new bike :) Yeah, on the track, any minor change can make a huge difference...from tire pressure to body position to suspension changes....

Also...yup I remember my first trackday and going through the weird feeling of not having my mirrors....very strange...I even hit my signal light a few times :)

Hope to see you out there at the next one...

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
lol, I know folks who have tire psi gauges that cost over $400...

Its important alright...and even more so on race tires.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
On the 190/60 I had a horrible time getting lean angle with 30psi in it. Turn in fast as hell but it would not stay down. Hill suggested 27 psi, tried it and totally different, could not believe that it made that much difference. On the 180 it is not that big of deal, but in the 190 it is.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, i couldn't believe a few pounds made a big deal. i know better now. A good tire gauge is a must have tool. I had a 79 cent special. Guamanic, It was a good day to be out there. hope to see you on the next track day.

Attachments

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
rocketracermike said:
yes, i couldn't believe a few pounds made a big deal. i know better now. A good tire gauge is a must have tool. I had a 79 cent special. Guamanic, It was a good day to be out there. hope to see you on the next track day.
you backin it in there? :badteeth:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it does look like it. The pit area is above the track. I was slowing down as my time on the track is over. The pic is proff that the Ti is faster then the green:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Grads on your 1st track day!:thumbsup: I am hoping to get out this summer a few times. I am in the middle of Ho-where, so the closest tracks are about 250 north, or 300 miles south. Plenty of dragstrip around though, but who wants to go straight?:dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts