Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been riding 3 years and finally had my first wreck a week ago. Hit some gravel in the twisties doing about 60ish, bike hit a steel fence post and I hit a stop sign. Was always told you've either gone down or are going to go down. Came out okay though, got some pretty good road rash and a muscle contusion in my calf, nothing broken. My bike wasn't as lucky.

So I'm wanting some advice as to what to do next being that there is probably a lot of wiser people out there than me. Should I take my L and part out my bike or rebuild it. What's making me want to part it out is... 1. It had been rebuilt before and has a salvage title. 2. It has nearly 50,000mi on it so I don't know if it's worth the money/time. 3. It's in pretty bad shape, frame and swingarm are dented, tank is trash, headlight is gone, custom subframe snapped in half, rearsets broke...and other things I'm probably forgetting. The good is the motor is still good though it does have the high miles, rims are good, forks are straight, handlebars are good...so I'm torn. It was such a good bike and one of a kind...

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yeah, I'd let it go. Not worth it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that you weren't injured and let the bike go, not worth the trouble. Then you can get excited about researching and buying a new bike.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,067 Posts
I'm with the other guys. For your situation I would let her go and move on. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Be a baller, buy another bike, but keep this one and build a track bike out of it piece by piece. It'll be a nice project you can spread out over time and still ride the other bike. Plus, you'll have 2 bikes at the end!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hello, been riding 3 years and finally had my first wreck a week ago. Hit some gravel in the twisties doing about 60ish, bike hit a steel fence post and I hit a stop sign. Was always told you've either gone down or are going to go down. Came out okay though, got some pretty good road rash and a muscle contusion in my calf, nothing broken. My bike wasn't as lucky.

So I'm wanting some advice as to what to do next being that there is probably a lot of wiser people out there than me. Should I take my L and part out my bike or rebuild it. What's making me want to part it out is... 1. It had been rebuilt before and has a salvage title. 2. It has nearly 50,000mi on it so I don't know if it's worth the money/time. 3. It's in pretty bad shape, frame and swingarm are dented, tank is trash, headlight is gone, custom subframe snapped in half, rearsets broke...and other things I'm probably forgetting. The good is the motor is still good though it does have the high miles, rims are good, forks are straight, handlebars are good...so I'm torn. It was such a good bike and one of a kind...

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Advice would be in suggesting you ride dirt...
There is some serious mental/recovery work that needs to be addressed to prevent a future "hit some gravel" event.

And.. Street handlebars... If Clip-ons were on... They weren't doing you any favors, in any sketchy control moments.

Dirt riders don't have any issue with what is on the road. :grin2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to agree with the general consensus here.. It's just not worth it to keep. Sell what you can and use the money towards your next bike.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Tragically yeah. Time to let that one go. You said the frame was damaged, probably not worth trying to redo it, just find yourself a new one and know youre safe on it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Financially, it makes no sense to keep it. Heck, even parting it out might be a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth.

On the other hand, if you're halfway competent with basic tools and have good luck finding deals, it may be worth considering keeping it as a second bike. Find deals on parts that you need and slowly get it back in running shape. I'm not arguing that this is a good idea, just that it's an idea possibly worth considering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll have to go with the majority here. Just part out what's still good like Rims, Motor, Forks... With the sell of those items alone you will be more than halfway to the price of another Gen. 1... They go anywhere between $4k and $5k in my part of the US.

But, if it has personal value... I'm with "Sasquatch", slowly rebuild it. That way you will know exactly what you have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts