Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few weeks back the mrs. surprised me with a track day at BlackHawk Farms courtesy of Motovid.com
I signed up for the slow group (1:30+) and only have minor track prep to do, which I started yesterday.
Looking forward to posting up pics this weekend.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Sweet! Are you taking any video?

How many TD's have you done? What tires are you running? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Are you taking any video?

How many TD's have you done? What tires are you running? :thumbsup:
I will not have any onboard footage but there may be a few videos shot from the sidelines.
First TD of my life, super nervous.
And I'll be on a fresh set of Dunlop Q2's. They feel superb on the street so it should be very satisfying on the track.
-1 front sprocket
EBC HH brake pads
1/5 Rifleman's insert
GUHL's flash
Leo Vince slip-on w/carbon fiber hanger
Mirrors/signals/license plate removed and head/tail lights taped up.

She looks good in track form.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,037 Posts
Awesome!! Your gonna love it! Remeber to ride your own pace. Grab a control rider to help you if you can. They can teach you TONS. If you listen and apply what they tell you, you can make huge strides in your skills in only a few hours. Bring plenty of H2O and drink it. Have snacks as the day goes by. Feed your inner machine so you will be going strong during those last sessions. Above all be safe, relax and have fun. Cant wait to hear how it goes!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support guys.
Love to hear it.
Jason Pridmore will be at the track that day doing 1 on 1 training. I figured that'd be good feedback.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Awesome!! Your gonna love it! Remeber to ride your own pace. Grab a control rider to help you if you can. They can teach you TONS. If you listen and apply what they tell you, you can make huge strides in your skills in only a few hours. Bring plenty of H2O and drink it. Have snacks as the day goes by. Feed your inner machine so you will be going strong during those last sessions. Above all be safe, relax and have fun. Cant wait to hear how it goes!

:+1::+2::iamwithst:goodpost::werd:

:zx_green:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not only does the bike look much better without mirrors, it is also much more open up front when riding.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did BHF late last year, was an awesome time! The facility is top notch, the CRs are great and the track day includes chow. Look for the painted circles on the track that will show you the race line ( I could never see them was going to FAST, or that's what I tell myself LOL).

As O10R said ride at your pace and build confidence, get with a CR from the get go, listen and apply what they suggest. Make sure you take a rear or front bike stand as they will make you zip tie your kickstand. I was lucky since I was using warmers and had them anyway.

Will you be rolling solo? Try to bring a second hand if you can, to help with bike stands, leathers, and whatever else. Lastly, Have fun brother!!!! Take some photos and post em up when you get back!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,037 Posts
I did BHF late last year, was an awesome time! The facility is top notch, the CRs are great and the track day includes chow. Look for the painted circles on the track that will show you the race line ( I could never see them was going to FAST, or that's what I tell myself LOL).

As O10R said ride at your pace and build confidence, get with a CR from the get go, listen and apply what they suggest. Make sure you take a rear or front bike stand as they will make you zip tie your kickstand. I was lucky since I was using warmers and had them anyway.

Will you be rolling solo? Try to bring a second hand if you can, to help with bike stands, leathers, and whatever else. Lastly, Have fun brother!!!! Take some photos and post em up when you get back!
Very true. I usually go alone but having a second hand is a real help. Take a canopy if you can, and a lawn chair. It helps to have somewhere to get in out of the sun and chill between sessions. Dont hesitate to ask for help. I have found people at the track are more than willing to help out their fellow rider with anything from loading/unloading the bike to repairs and spare parts. Its almost a team effort. Your gonna have a blast!

Just wanted to throw in the check list I use if you need one. I print it and check off every item as I load it to make sure I have everything.

General Items
__ Helmet with clear and tinted visor
__ Suit
__ Gloves
__ Boots
__ Spare clothes
__ Bike key
__ Spare trailer tire inflated to 57psi
__ Zip ties
__ Tape (Duct and painters)
__ Sunglasses
__ Cash/Wallet
__Flashlight
__ Chairs
__ Cooler
__ Cell phone
__ Camera/Go Pro
__ EZ-Up canopy
__ Flashlight
__ Inflate car and trailer tires
__ Fuel car/spare fuel
__ Loading ramp
__
__
__
__
__

Motorcycle Items
__ Tools/nuts and bolt kit
__ Front stand
__ Rear stand
__ Gas Can/gas
__ Extra tie down straps
__ Fill bike with fuel
__ Inspect and air tires (SA20’s, 32F-30R)
__ Chain lube
__ Shop towels
__ Quick detailer
__ Max Cycle 10W40
__ Check fluid levels
__ Check chain tension
__ Inspect all bolts for tightness

Food Items
__ Water/FRS energy drink
__ General snacks
__ Beef jerky
__ Grapes/fruit
__ Cheese
__ Ice
__Trail mix

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The mrs. is coming along with. I am bringing the top part of my toolbox and the front and rear lifts.
I was going to remove my kickstand for the day but wasn't sure what to do with the sensor, so I may zip tie instead.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very true. I usually go alone but having a second hand is a real help. Take a canopy if you can, and a lawn chair. It helps to have somewhere to get in out of the sun and chill between sessions. Dont hesitate to ask for help. I have found people at the track are more than willing to help out their fellow rider with anything from loading/unloading the bike to repairs and spare parts. Its almost a team effort. Your gonna have a blast!

Just wanted to throw in the check list I use if you need one. I print it and check off every item as I load it to make sure I have everything.

General Items
__ Helmet with clear and tinted visor
__ Suit
__ Gloves
__ Boots
__ Spare clothes
__ Bike key
__ Spare trailer tire inflated to 57psi
__ Zip ties
__ Tape (Duct and painters)
__ Sunglasses
__ Cash/Wallet
__Flashlight
__ Chairs
__ Cooler
__ Cell phone
__ Camera/Go Pro
__ EZ-Up canopy
__ Flashlight
__ Inflate car and trailer tires
__ Fuel car/spare fuel
__ Loading ramp
__
__
__
__
__

Motorcycle Items
__ Tools/nuts and bolt kit
__ Front stand
__ Rear stand
__ Gas Can/gas
__ Extra tie down straps
__ Fill bike with fuel
__ Inspect and air tires (SA20’s, 32F-30R)
__ Chain lube
__ Shop towels
__ Quick detailer
__ Max Cycle 10W40
__ Check fluid levels
__ Check chain tension
__ Inspect all bolts for tightness

Food Items
__ Water/FRS energy drink
__ General snacks
__ Beef jerky
__ Grapes/fruit
__ Cheese
__ Ice
__Trail mix
Awesome list, thank you!

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I will be there saturday too.

A few of my friends are coming too, including my dad on his 4th gen, and zsex10r (member here) on his Honda.

You will definitively enjoy it, most likely get addicted.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Congrats on your first trackday. Be careful or you'll soon end up with maxed-out credit cards, fewer non-trackday friends, and a general feeling of boredom when riding on the street.

Blackhawk is a decent place but even with the airfence they've added it's still not a track that I make a point of going to more than once or twice a year. When I started doing trackdays they didn't have any airfence and even though I'd only been to a couple other tracks at the time I still thought it was very unsafe and never felt confident trying to go quick there.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Like the others said, just relax and have a good time. Trackdays are for fun and improving your riding skills. Especially at your first, just ride your own pace and don't worry about where you "finish" in the group or your lap times.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be there saturday too.

A few of my friends are coming too, including my dad on his 4th gen, and zsex10r (member here) on his Honda.

You will definitively enjoy it, most likely get addicted.
Awesome, what group are you riding in? The facebook page said 1 or 2 of the groups is sold out.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on your first trackday. Be careful or you'll soon end up with maxed-out credit cards, fewer non-trackday friends, and a general feeling of boredom when riding on the street.

Blackhawk is a decent place but even with the airfence they've added it's still not a track that I make a point of going to more than once or twice a year. When I started doing trackdays they didn't have any airfence and even though I'd only been to a couple other tracks at the time I still thought it was very unsafe and never felt confident trying to go quick there.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Like the others said, just relax and have a good time. Trackdays are for fun and improving your riding skills. Especially at your first, just ride your own pace and don't worry about where you "finish" in the group or your lap times.
I'll be riding very conservatively for awhile, if not all day. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, how did the gen 4 guys set their kickstand up to pass tech inspection? I couldn't remove it without disrupting the safety switch and the bracket that holds the bottom part of the fairing.
It doesn't look like a zip tie will reach anywhere safely.
Pics or ideas?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
So, how did the gen 4 guys set their kickstand up to pass tech inspection? I couldn't remove it without disrupting the safety switch and the bracket that holds the bottom part of the fairing.
It doesn't look like a zip tie will reach anywhere safely.
Pics or ideas?
WTF? I've never had to do anything with my kickstand for tech inspection...

Sent via iPhone

1 - 20 of 158 Posts